Emptying the Trash!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Can you guys please share your drugs with me?

HE'S NOT TALKING ABOUT GMAIL!!!

Then he doesn't have his mail set up correctly. Everything should be forwarded through gmail. It's a google phone, this is only logical.

And I'm not sharing my drugs with anybody! :D

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score

Then he doesn't have his mail set up correctly. Everything should be forwarded through gmail. It's a google phone, this is only logical.

I've seen you recommend this to people and I disagree. It's not logical to me. Reasons:

1) moving mail through google slows it down. better to go direct.
2) when replying to mail, in certain cases, it won't have the correct return address

Vitticeps

Reaction score
So log on to the comcast account on a computer and do the same. Or hotmail, or yahoo, or whatever. I don't know of an email provider that doesn't have a web interface.

Not that it's an idea solution but if you are opposed to 3rd party email apps then it's the next best thing.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
So log on to the comcast account on a computer and do the same. Or hotmail, or yahoo, or whatever. I don't know of an email provider that doesn't have a web interface.

Not that it's an idea solution but if you are opposed to 3rd party email apps then it's the next best thing.

Depending on how it's set up, deleting it from the web interface may not be possible or it may have no effect on your trash folder.

For example, the way I have K9 set up to check a pop account...I delete mail on my phone and it moves it to my phone's trash folder. At the same time it deletes it from the server. So now, the only copy of the email is in my phone's trash. Thankfully, K9 has an empty trash feature.

Last edited:

Vitticeps

Reaction score
I don't forward anything through gmail. I have all my accounts separated, 2 gmail, 1 yahoo, and 1 hotmail. I prefer it that way. I have one account that I use for signing up for stuff online that gets inundated with spam. I have one that I use for friends, actual real life friends that have moved all over the country. I have one that I use for professional correspondence, whether it be for work or networking or job searching. And then there's my Hotmail address; I just can't let it go, I've had it for almost 15 years and I'm kinda attached to it. I have others too but these are the ones I keep synced to my phone.

I like them all be separated and not combined into one inbox. I like being able to see in the notification bar which account has the new email so I know if I want to bother reading it right away or wait till later. I also like having different notification tones for each of the 4 addresses.

That's my reasoning for not routing everything through gmail.

Good point on the POP3. I have everything set up IMAP.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
And good points you made on other reasons not to forward through gmail.

To each his own. If you don't mind forwarding to gmail then go for it, but for me using K9 gives me a bit more versatility...and I'm sure my return address is always correct. Gmail app needs to let me change my "From" address at will instead of having gmail just take a guess at it.

Reaction score
on gmail, you can set it up to reply with whatever email address the email is sent to...you guys sound like you're just makin stuff up like it not having the right return address...

Last edited by a moderator:

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
on gmail, you can set it up to reply with whatever email address the email is sent to...you guys sound like you're just makin [DELETED] up like it not having the right return address...

Hah hah, I did say under certain conditions it might put in the wrong return address. Why would we make this stuff up?

It can happen if the email is sent to more than one person. Gmail can choke and not figure out the proper "From" address. Anyway, that's just one reason. I also don't like the extra hop through google's servers. And now that's it's been brought up, I like the way K9 handles email accounts separately instead of lumping them all together.

Last edited:

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Here's a thought.

() STOP using the stock 'email' client.

() Download K-9

() If you like gmail, point K-9 at your gmail account. If you don't want to use gmail, point K-9 at any other source (or multiple sources you like.)

() When you want to delete email, do mass deletes from your K-9 client. If you want the email gone from your server, set K-9 to do so. If you don't, don't.

Personally, I use K-9 pointed at my gmail account. I set it to never poll and the gmail graciously pushes the email to my phone.

hawkxcore

Reaction score
To those of you who are saying e-mail in the stock e-mail app forces your regular non-gmail messages THRU gmail, you are WRONG. You're saying it works that way because it's a Google powered phone? When you set up Microsoft Outlook on your desktop with your comcast email, does your email all get forwarded thru Microsoft? No. Thats a really stupid statement. Even stupider that you're telling people your story like it's gospel.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
To those of you who are saying e-mail in the stock e-mail app forces your regular non-gmail messages THRU gmail, you are WRONG. You're saying it works that way because it's a Google powered phone? When you set up Microsoft Outlook on your desktop with your comcast email, does your email all get forwarded thru Microsoft? No. Thats a really stupid statement. Even stupider that you're telling people your story like it's gospel.

Nobody said that.

hawkxcore

Reaction score

Nobody said that.

Really? Hmmmmm

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
"should be forwarded through gmail" is not the same as "the stock e-mail app forces your regular non-gmail messages THRU gmail"

I don't want to seem like I'm nitpicking. I agree with your overall message, but I don't think the dude meant that all email is forced through google. He just prefers it that way.

And watch out, he's a moderator!

dogthehunter

Reaction score
What the flock, go on line to Gmail, trash, and empty all trash. Bam, it's all gone.

This is not difficult.
What he said, takes just couple of seconds to do it and you don't need to start a new account. Dog

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
"should be forwarded through gmail" is not the same as "the stock e-mail app forces your regular non-gmail messages THRU gmail"

I don't want to seem like I'm nitpicking. I agree with your overall message, but I don't think the dude meant that all email is forced through google. He just prefers it that way.

And watch out, he's a moderator!

I don't mind somebody being critical of something I say. I wouldn't hold anything against anyone for something like that.

However I don't think he's following my line of thinking. I think what he said was apples and oranges.