"Emergency Access" Allows Trusted People To Access Your LastPass Passwords

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

LastPass is the one stop shop for password management. If you are like me then the only bill you don't pay online is the water bill, and that is because they simply don't have the option. For each bill you have you also have an online account that is accessed with a username and password. Those accounts are added to the 50 or so other online accounts you have from Amazon to Facebook. It is safest to have a separate password for every account you use and to change those passwords often. This would be impossible to keep up with over time on your own. That is where LastPass comes in.

LastPass allows you to store your passwords in a locked up password manager. This way you only need to remember one password. LastPass has launched a new feature called "Emergency Access". This new feature would allow a loved one, relative, or close friend access to your account in case of death or incapacitation. This way your loved ones would be able to take care of things that need to be taken care of including seeing to it that your last wishes are fulfilled.

The "Emergency Access" system allows you to designate email addresses to request your password. Once a designated email address has asked for the password LastPass notifies the account holder, and if the account holder doesn't respond within the time limit the password for the account is handed over to the trusted email address. This is an opt in feature that could give you piece of mind.

via Lastpass

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
If only I could remember what I changed my Master Password to before abandoning LP for my previous password manager. None of the passwords stored there work anymore, but I can't get in there to try using it again or clear everything out. Their security seems to be a bit too good when it comes to people trying to fraudulently recover your password since they don't store it at all.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I still don't believe in this system. If someone hacks the central datacenter, won't they get all your logins/passwords? That would be a PITA to update every login. Each site, bank, email, etc, I have is a different password.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I still don't believe in this system. If someone hacks the central datacenter, won't they get all your logins/passwords? That would be a PITA to update every login. Each site, bank, email, etc, I have is a different password.
The data is encrypted with 256-bit encryption, but I don't blame you for being cautious. You have to decide if the trade-off of the convenience is worth it. I really only used it for sites that I rarely use and that didn't have any sort of payment info attached to them when I was trying it out.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I think using it for forums is harmless unless you're an admin/mod like I am. Then they could destroy the site. For regular users, I don't think I'd care. Banking would be a hell no for me. I value my job too much to have that information given to a 3rd party.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Yeah. The one I like to use just stores everything locally on my phone. It's a pain to switch phones, but at least I know that data is only in my pocket and triple password-protected.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I use the same password for every site, (which I change maybe twice a year) except sites I go to that have to do with anything financial or paying a bill. My bank, PayPal, Amazon etc. With these I change the.PW every 60 days, rotating 5 passwords, which I'll never forget.
At work it's a different story. We're required to change our PW every 60 days on the 5 main programs I use BUT, we can't use the same PW twice. So I have a PW list I update & print out (then delete) and keep locked in my desk. It's worked great for me for the past almost 19 years now.

S5 tap'n