Email Wont Send Unless I Click Refresh

pchakmak

Reaction score
I'm trying to send out email via gmail on my Droid and when I click the send button it stays in the Outbox and says "Sending..." in red. I have to click the Refresh button in order for it to push it to the Outbox and actually send it. I tried switching between my WiFi and 3G. That didn't do anything. Any thoughts for what I should do? Thanks.

Paul

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
go to Settings > Applications > Manage applications > menu > Filter > All > Gmail Storage > Clear data

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Tried that and it didn't work. Any other ideas??!!

You're not using a task killer are you? Wifi? Here are some other things you can try:

1) delete any and all email from your gmail outbox
2) goto gmail settings > labels > inbox > sync all
3) use above procedure to clear data for gmail storage data again
4) also clear gmail data for good measure
5) reboot

OP
P

pchakmak

Reaction score
Task killer is always on i think. Should I turn it off?? And no, I'm using 3G network.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Task killer is always on i think. Should I turn it off?? And no, I'm using 3G network.

I highly recommend not using a task killer. I would uninstall it, or at the very least allow exceptions for gtalk, gmail....

I just did a search for this problem:
1) occurs if you delete a message before attachment downloads
2) occurs if sent folder sync is turned off
3) occurs if account sync is off under phone settings

So make sure all of the above is ok, but I would get rid of the task killer, clear all gmail & gmail storage, reboot, and try it out. If all of this fails you might want to use k9 instead of the gmail app.

OP
P

pchakmak

Reaction score
It works. I went under settings<Accounts & Sync<turned on Auto-Sync. Sync was off for my gmail. I really appreciate the help. I was wondering if you could just explain to me what I did exactly, in laymen's terms. Thank you very much.

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Task killer will cause problems. I also messed something up at one point where I would get emails but couldn't send them. Who knows how or what happened...but I couldn't use that nandroid backup any longer.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
It works. I went under settings<Accounts & Sync<turned on Auto-Sync. Sync was off for my gmail. I really appreciate the help. I was wondering if you could just explain to me what I did exactly, in laymen's terms. Thank you very much.

Good to hear! Auto-sync allows your phone to communicate with google's servers--instead of you having to manually sync each time. That setting is the on/off switch which let's your phone talk to google. It is a good idea to keep it on so that you can get gmail, backup contacts, sync calendar events. All of this is automatic if the phone is set to sync. Their is little reason to shut it off other than saving a very tiny bit of battery and other phone resources.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
go to Settings > Applications > Manage applications > menu > Filter > All > Gmail Storage > Clear data

The gift that keeps on giving!! Thank you for the help, even if it was directed at someone else!! I noticed a little while ago that I could not send from my Gmail account. I searched this forum section and found you advise listed above. I did it and my problem was instantly resolved.

Is this forum great or what??!!

Thanks aminaked! :icon_ banana:

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks aminaked! :icon_ banana:

You're welcome! Two things:

1) I found that clear data advice on this forum and have been sharing it ever since

2) That is only a temporary fix. I haven't seen the problem since I made 2 other changes: a) gmail app > settings > labels > inbox > sync all AND b) stopped using wifi altogether ever. I have ready many complaints about wifi causing odd problems. Just today I read about it causing problems with the music player! If you use wifi, you may want to reboot when you are done. Rebooting also does wonders for my outgoing call quality. Hopefully 2.1 will fix this.

CutiePatootiesNC

Reaction score
I'm a new Motorola Droid owner. Just trying to get used to it after leaving BB. Where exactly is the refresh button and can it be used on anything I'm viewing? ex-facebook, google webpage? Also, is there a way to select data by highlighting it and doing copy and paste? I used that feature alot in BB. Please help. Thanks!