Email Sync Question

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
i dont know if this is a general android or maybe just for the droid.

but will the droid offer true 2 way sync with gmail?

basically if i send a email from my laptop will it show up in the sent folder on the phone itself?

i searched here and on google for this but was unable to get a solid answer. I found alot about contact sync but not so much on 2-way email sync.

-Garrett

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

basically if i send a email from my laptop will it show up in the sent folder on the phone itself?

i searched here and on google for this but was unable to get a solid answer. I found alot about contact sync but not so much on 2-way email sync.

-Garrett

I beleive that's accurate. Essentially a push systeem that cam support pop3 and a couple of other formats too. I won't be able to sync with outlook though

OP
garrett

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score

-Garrett

I beleive that's accurate. Essentially a push systeem that cam support pop3 and a couple of other formats too. I won't be able to sync with outlook though

so will the phone support 2 way sync with gmail?

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

-Garrett

so will the phone support 2 way sync with gmail?

Yea I think that's the easy part. @ way syng is baisically an imap set up. In other words. when i open a email now it shows open. So if google aliows a setting like that then no issue. Now if google only supports pop then you'll get it but it won't show open in your mail box. :droidrun:

OP
garrett

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
i dont know if i was clear on my question but

if i send an email to someone using my laptop will it show up in my sent folder on the phone?

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i dont know if i was clear on my question but

if i send an email to someone using my laptop will it show up in my sent folder on the phone?

I'm not sure about that. I am sure however it doesn't show uo now on my BB. If i send from my desktop it shows there and vica versa ;)

fegriffith

Reaction score
Miami1683 said:

Huh?? The whole reason I'm excited about Droid is because I thought it IS supposed to sync with Outlook/Exchange???

Last edited:
OP
garrett

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
-Garrett

Huh?? The whole reason I'm excited about Droid is because I thought it IS supposed to sync with Outlook/Exchange???

that was actually posted by Miami1683 but yes the phone will have native support for exchange....

Android 2.0 screenshot walkthrough Boy Genius Report

Android 2.0 looks to be a major improvement in Google’s mobile OS and we couldn’t be more excited about it. From native Exchange support to native Facebook support (it will sync with your contacts), browser improvements, a completely updated Maps application, unified email Inbox — there’s much, much more — and a brand new UI makeover, version 2.0 starts to make Android a really viable (and interesting) platform. Bounce over the jump for all the screenshots and our walkthrough!

Microsoft Exchange compatibility looks to be built-in to the OS now, and the new unified Inbox is perfect for keeping up with your personal and corporate email. You can star (flag for the corporate world) emails, mark multiple as read or unread, delete, forward — whatever you want basically. Emails load effortlessly. Unfortunately (or not so unfortunately) the unified Inbox won’t work with your Gmail account as that uses the specific Google-made Gmail email application in Android.

Last edited:

Droid128

Reaction score
on the subject of email synching, can anyone tell me if the droid will be able to notify me once i receive an email from another account other than gmail? like yahoo. for you bb users, you know how the bb is really good on notifying you as soon as you receive an email. my understanding so far is that only gmail will be capable of receiving email notifications as they come, whereas other accounts would require a set time interval on when to check (5, 10, 15, 30, 1 hr) for new mail. can anyone else confirm this? thanks

faganm24

Reaction score
on the subject of email synching, can anyone tell me if the droid will be able to notify me once i receive an email from another account other than gmail? like yahoo. for you bb users, you know how the bb is really good on notifying you as soon as you receive an email. my understanding so far is that only gmail will be capable of receiving email notifications as they come, whereas other accounts would require a set time interval on when to check (5, 10, 15, 30, 1 hr) for new mail. can anyone else confirm this? thanks
If you haven't been notified yet, yes the corporate email has push support. And notifications can be customized for each account.