Email solution?

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
i dont get any notifications for email either and only time i will see my email is after i hit refresh. i have never used the wifi on my phone so i dont think that would be my problem. is there any other working email programs besides k9?

I'm going to assume you have K-9 polling for email. Right?

OP
Purgatory

Purgatory

Reaction score
Right on, today marks 3 weeks that I haven't used wifi and 3 weeks with no email issues at all. I'm wondering if we could use wifi and turn it off when done. Would email break--is a reboot necessary?

I would like you to know, that for me it does seem to break the email polling (it hangs at a point of trying to go out and pull it). This is every time I try and turn on Wi-Fi, it might take a day, or it might just be the next time that I try and pull email. I now have my Wi-Fi on and am trying to see if it will come back over the next couple of weeks. Now I can connect to my PS3, my computer, my NAS, i'm happy again! :icon_ banana:

OP
Purgatory

Purgatory

Reaction score
I'm posting the following just in case others have run into the same problem and mistakenly believe that the email/gmail/k-9/etc apps on their phone is to blame for email anomalies.

Here's the situation. My wife gets her email via comcast.net. Her Outlook is set up to poll comcast.net every few minutes and download her email from the server to her desktop system. When I set up her K-9 email client linked to her comcast.net email I failed to take that into account.

As a result she was notified on her Droid that email had arrived but by the time she looked for it, the email had disappeared from the comcast server, having been downloaded to her Outlook client on her desktop.

There are several easy fixes for this situation including server-side forwarding of the email at comcast or forwarding of emails from her Outlook client when they're received. But I suspect that others may encounter what appear to be bizarre errors that result from this situation and may have trouble diagnosing it.

Thanks, hopefully this will help someone!

OP
Purgatory

Purgatory

Reaction score
I have had the problem of not getting emails since I first purchased the phone. I have only used Wi-Fi once since I purchased the phone a few months ago. It doesnt seem like the Wi-Fi is the problem.

Yesterday all my email accounts disapeared off my phone. I have no idea what happened to them. Maybe the program reset itself. When setting them all up I changed from POP to IMAP. So far today I have been receiving all my email as I should. Hopefully the problem has fixed itself. I will see what happens in the next week.

mrygor123, it sounds to me like you might need to restore your phone. Even if you have only used Wi-Fi once, if you have not rebooted your phone after turning Wi-Fi off, it will still give you problems with pulling emails from what I have found.

OP
Purgatory

Purgatory

Reaction score
i dont get any notifications for email either and only time i will see my email is after i hit refresh. i have never used the wifi on my phone so i dont think that would be my problem. is there any other working email programs besides k9?

This is the same exactly problem I am having. If I go into the email program for my POP3 accounts, it will start pulling emails again, but I am not actually getting any notifications to let me know new ones are coming in on their own. Remember, Wi-Fi is turned on once you get the phone (if I remember correctly). This means that it was on at some point and if you have not rebooted the phone, then you still have Wi-Fi trying to be used.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score

Are you talking about the gmail app or the other stock app called "Email"?

Use k9 instead of the stock "Email" app.

OP
Purgatory

Purgatory

Reaction score
So, for a while I have done a few more tests. The phone works perfectly fine with Wi-Fi on, as long as you turn Wi-Fi off after you are done using it. I am still getting POP3 emails with this test. I have tried this with 2.0.1 as well as 2.1 of the OS. Seems to me like the Wi-Fi does not like it when you are out of range and it expects the signal to be there. This test has been going on for a month now and each time I still receive my POP3 emails after wards without resetting the phone.

cbarber

Reaction score
Email

I haven't had any trouble getting email from pop 3 account which is run through outlook on my laptop, by using my cabel internet at home. I haven't been out of the area to check and see what happens then tho. The sockets for incoming and outgoing have to be set to the exact same number as the home email is. Took me a bit to figure that out, but once I did mail came in and mail went out.
The problem I'm having is KEEPING it in my inbox. Seems to automatically dump it somewhere after I close the keyboard or close the mail. I went to "my store" today and the lady futzed around for about an hour. She tells me her droid ( just like mine) has an option to archive mail, but alas, I could not find it anywhere on mine when I got home. Does anyone know how to stop this? I dont save every email, but some I would, especially when I"m away from home and really especially if its WORK related. I am not syncing anything through gmail either. Like I said, put the info for the account on the droid just as it is on my laptop and desk top.
Other than that one little annoyance and the sensitive touch screen, I've had it two weeks and love it!

Texaslady

Reaction score
I haven't had any trouble getting email from pop 3 account which is run through outlook on my laptop, by using my cabel internet at home. I haven't been out of the area to check and see what happens then tho. The sockets for incoming and outgoing have to be set to the exact same number as the home email is. Took me a bit to figure that out, but once I did mail came in and mail went out.
The problem I'm having is KEEPING it in my inbox. Seems to automatically dump it somewhere after I close the keyboard or close the mail. I went to "my store" today and the lady futzed around for about an hour. She tells me her droid ( just like mine) has an option to archive mail, but alas, I could not find it anywhere on mine when I got home. Does anyone know how to stop this? I dont save every email, but some I would, especially when I"m away from home and really especially if its WORK related. I am not syncing anything through gmail either. Like I said, put the info for the account on the droid just as it is on my laptop and desk top.
Other than that one little annoyance and the sensitive touch screen, I've had it two weeks and love it!

Yes, I had this exact problem and after reading the post from jsh1120, I discovered that to fix this you have to change the settings in your email program to leave mail on the server. If you are using Outlook 07, go into Tools/Account Settings/Change/More Settings/Advanced and make sure the box is checked that says "Leave a copy of message on the server" Problem fixed.

cbarber

Reaction score
Hey thanks so much! I checked the box - now we will see what happens. I appreciate the suggestion!

jordy1380

Reaction score
email issues

Ok, so I am on my second droid now because my first one had some issues and shut down everything, opening up to a boot logger screen. But that is not the issue.

Ok, so a few days ago I was sending some emails with pics as attachments to my parents and ever since that day, my email has not been refreshing or updating on my phone. The refresh icon just continues to swirl in circles and it doesn't update. I am using hotmail as my email client and it will not allow me to forward that to my gmail so I cannot try that. I just got the k-9 email program so I am going to try that for a few days to see if it works any better. I was using the stock email client and it was working fine just until a few days ago. The only way that I can get it to refresh emails is if I turn the phone off, pull the battery, put it back in and restart the phone. It will then refresh. I don't know how many other people are having this email update/refresh problem, but it really frustrates me that is just was working fine then all of a sudden stopped on me. Any ideas/ help? I just got the k-9 web client and it just loaded the emails one time from my hotmail account and is not refreshing them any more either.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
2.1 seems to have cleared up the wifi connect issue for me.

However, it seems there is another problem where email arrives but notifications are never sounded. This even happens with the alarm clock apparently. The solution is to use a program like Load Monitor which keeps your phone from entering a deep sleep state. Haven't tried this myself but it is a theory I've seen that may help some.