Email repeats...

Ratherfly

Reaction score
I posted this in the welcome center and Annedroid replied. I found the link on her note so I thought... why not?

I just upgraded to a Droid A855.

Today, at work, I replied to two emails on two different AOL accounts. Thinking all was well, I went about my day.

I came home and for one reason or another, I checked my sent messages folder on my online account.

WHOA!

About a gazillion emails sent, repeatedly, to the two emails I replied to from my phone. I think that's bad. Very bad.

Thankfully the people I bothered were people I don't care much about. :)

Anyway, I called the people at Verizon who said... as expected... remove your battery, wait 30 seconds and reinstall.

Also, deleted the email accounts from my phone.

It doesn't appear to be a problem, the emails seem to have stopped.

But what the hay?

Thoughts/help please.

Best Regards,

Tina

Vitticeps

Reaction score
I'd say you've already done what would most likely be recommended. Something corrupted and got caught in a loop. Removing the accounts should clear and potentially corrupt data or rogue messages. To be sure you can manually clear the data for the email app in:

Menu>Settings>Applications>Manage Applications>Menu>Filter>All>Email>Clear Data

I'd try setting it back up and send a test message to one of your own accounts to see if the problem persists or was a fluke.

OP
Ratherfly

Ratherfly

Reaction score
Okay, so on my phone I deleted the email accounts. I took out the battery. That seemed to stop the "spam"... the repeated sending of emails, evidenced by the sent folder on my online email site.

Okay, as a test I re-entered the emails (yes into the default email of the Droid) and sent a test message to myself.

Well, the sent folder shows it being sent, over and over again....

but the inbox does not show receipt. Not in the spam filter either.

The only place there is evidence of a "problem" is in the sent folder of my online email account.

Help?

ExactDroid

Reaction score
Okay, so on my phone I deleted the email accounts. I took out the battery. That seemed to stop the "spam"... the repeated sending of emails, evidenced by the sent folder on my online email site.

Okay, as a test I re-entered the emails (yes into the default email of the Droid) and sent a test message to myself.

Well, the sent folder shows it being sent, over and over again....

but the inbox does not show receipt. Not in the spam filter either.

The only place there is evidence of a "problem" is in the sent folder of my online email account.

Help?

Have you ever thought of ditching aol? it's so 80's lol

Sounds like an issue with aol to be honest..... Have you tried it with only one aol account to test? if so does it do this with both aol accounts?

OP
Ratherfly

Ratherfly

Reaction score
Have you ever thought of ditching aol? it's so 80's lol

Sounds like an issue with aol to be honest..... Have you tried it with only one aol account to test? if so does it do this with both aol accounts?

Well, one of the two accounts I have is heavily promoting my friends property that is for sale by owner so to change that now would mean I would have to search the world over to change the links....

actually you will probably tell me that I don't have to do that, that somehow I could have AOL forward to what... say gmail? :)

Anyway, I don't think it's AOL because it's only happened to the emails sent from my phone. For the record, I just checked. It is continuing to show up in the "sent mail". All night long...........

They don't make it to received mail, and aren't in the spam filter, so it's just odd. Perhaps it is AOL somehow that only fouls up with the droid?

I can't be the first person to discover this problem, can I?

Geez, what a way to make a mark on the world.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
You're not the only one. I had the phantom sent messages on my yahoo account. I'm not buying k0 for something I use rarely but it only actually sent one email even though theres tons of sent messages in the sent folder. I just didn't worry about it.

OP
Ratherfly

Ratherfly

Reaction score
I freaked yesterday when I saw all those gazillions of sent messages. I "re-booted" the phone, then sent a message from myself to myself and saw it was only received once. Yes, it's annoying, but as long as the messages aren't really being sent I don't have a HUGE headache.

Still, it would be nice to find a fix...........

Thanks,

Tina

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Might be fixed in 2.2.....frozen yogurt does good things :)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
Ratherfly

Ratherfly

Reaction score
Fixed in 2.2?

Frozen yogurt, THAT I understand..................

R850R

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
R00ted S3
Same issue with yahoo...there has to be a fix. It's been an issue for almost a year. Is there a fix besides k9 or switching to Gmail?

OP
Ratherfly

Ratherfly

Reaction score
And just when I thought it was over, it's at it again today. There was a delay of sorts. On Thursday I sent an email, to my boss of all people, from my phone. I checked to see if it was behaving online and it was. Until this morning. A gazillion sent emails in my folder.

Since she hasn't read me the riot act, I have to think it is, once again, simply showing up in the online sent folder.

Is this forum run by Verizon and/or Motorola Droid or is it a volunteer techie forum?

Tina