Droid sends random, old emails instead of my reply

jennifer

Reaction score
My Droid is doing two quirky things. First, sometimes when I reply to an email (from my work email, but not not using exchange server) instead of sending the reply that I typed, it sends an old email. For instance, a friend emailed me today, I respond with "great how are things." Instead of that, it pulled up an email that is 3 weeks old -- no longer stored on my droid, but still in my outlook inbox, and replied that old email to my friend. This is the second time that had happened. When replying to the same friend a week or two ago, it sent her an Amazon confirmation email from a year ago (which was sent to an entirely different email address, but an email address I do receive on the droid).

Also, sometimes when I receive an email (again, work account), it is wrong. Got an email from a coworker, but the body of the email was an email from Banana Republic announcing a sale (which I do not receive at that email address). When I hit "reply," I can see the content that the coworker actually sent.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

OP
J

jennifer

Reaction score
Update

As of this afternoon, the droid is doing this all the time -- every time I send a message from work email, it sends an old email I received (randomly selected) at a different email address. I can't find any support on this -- I'd really appreciate any advice.

jaysonstaurt

Reaction score
That is a freaky. Well if you haven't tried this already I'd try and remove the battery and reboot and hope for the best. If that doesn't work it might be necessary to do a factory reset.

OP
J

jennifer

Reaction score
Thank you. I have tried that several times. I also thought I could delete all the email accounts and add them back (or maybe just add my work email back) -- but when I click on "remove account" the phone freezes and makes me force quit.

Does a factory reboot mean taking it back to the store?

Thanks again!

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thank you. I have tried that several times. I also thought I could delete all the email accounts and add them back (or maybe just add my work email back) -- but when I click on "remove account" the phone freezes and makes me force quit.

Does a factory reboot mean taking it back to the store?

Thanks again!

No store for that. Just resets all the settings to the defaults the phone had out of the box. So basically you'll have to start from scratch again with your device, but it may solve your problem. I'm not too familiar with the E-mail issues as I only use G-mail but there are plenty of people around here that know their stuff. Search through the threads and see if it's already been discussed somewhere.... at least that way if you don't find the answer you might find who to ask to get it! :)

It might be how your E-mail is set up too... really wish I had the answer for ya. LOL

MIKEDC

Reaction score
I'm having the EXACT same problem. It's to the point that I'm afraid to reply to an email because I don't know which OLD email will be sent. Does anybody have a FIX for this?

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm having the EXACT same problem. It's to the point that I'm afraid to reply to an email because I don't know which OLD email will be sent. Does anybody have a FIX for this?

Are ya'll using the native email program? My fix for all email issues has been to switch to K-9. You might try that. The problems ya'll are having are mystifying.

Next question, are ya'll using Exchange? If so, this might be a microsoft issue (of course, I tend to blame everything on Microsoft).

MIKEDC

Reaction score

Are ya'll using the native email program? My fix for all email issues has been to switch to K-9. You might try that. The problems ya'll are having are mystifying.

Next question, are ya'll using Exchange? If so, this might be a microsoft issue (of course, I tend to blame everything on Microsoft).

I have been using the native email program. I'm not using Exchange. I use a POP3 account from 1and1.com. I will look into K9 and see if that fixes it.

CJ2883

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem with Gmail on the native email program.
Has anyone had any luck with a fix or is a factory reset my only option at this point?

Reaction score
Is there really not an answer for this? Things were working ok or months, I got used to my one email never refreshing (have 2 on the phone) and having to check that once I got home. Then I would open a new email and instead of the new messge an ancient message from my other email account would be there. This started 2 weeks ago, now in the last 3 days I will send emails and instead of my reply it will now send an ancient email from the other email account. The only reason I have the droid is to access my two email accounts. I now can't do that. A lot of touble could brew if the wrong email gets attached to a reply. Thanks for any help.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The fix is to switch to K-9 email. The native email programs are total junk. You can not rely on them. I've been using K-9 since Nov. or Dec. of last year and have never had a single issue with it.

The only complaint I've ever had is that they provide updates frequently on their website (Downloads - k9mail - Project Hosting on Google Code), but do not as frequently provide updates in the Market. Right now the most current version is in the Market, but you really should check their website often.

Good luck.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I TOTALLY AGREE. This should be in the manual when you get the phone. The stock "Gmail" client is ok. The stock "Mail" client SHOULD NOT BE USED EVER. Use anything else, including K9, touchdown, the web browser

mboraggio

Reaction score
I also have this problem -- someone please let me know if Verizon or Motorola provides any official response!

turnjbup

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. I have a Yahoo! and a Gmail email account. Both accounts (including Gmail) are pulling old Yahoo! emails and adding them to the body.... I'll try a different email client than the stock one...

This phone has been a pain ever since I got it... I switched from a Blackberry for better browsing and app funcionality, but I've had nothing but problems -battery, microphone and now old emails being pulled into the body of reply emails....