email question/outlook

shanspaz

Reaction score
When I delete my email on my computer, it does not sync with my phone. Therefore my phone is full of old emails. I the first motorola droid (until it got wet . . .) and it did sync . . . how do I get this one to sync to clear out my email on my phone??? I am using outlook . . . motorola driod 2 global, verizon . . .

negropy

Reaction score
Are you using imap folders? That's one option. Or exchange server? Those 2 should sync your deletions. If you have pop3, it will not sync

Sent from my R2D2

OP
S

shanspaz

Reaction score
I am using pop 3 . . . outlook thru verizon ( assisted with gmail). It worked on my previous driod, but not the driod 2 . . . it seems as though there is a setting I am missing, but I cant find it . . .

negropy

Reaction score
Understand. I'm not sure since I use all imap folders, sorry couldn't be of any help

Sent from my R2D2

companionlink

Reaction score
To clarify: In your last setup, were you using POP3 as well? A typical POP3 setup won't keep read/deleted emails in sync, as negropy mentioned above. If you were using POP3, specifically how were you syncing your email with Outlook?

- David Z

companionlink

Reaction score
The following is an excerpt from this article: Tech Tips with Mr. Tech Savvy: POP is good. IMAP is better.

The downside of POP is that it is a one-way communication. With POP you only download emails from the server and that’s it. The server is not told if you have read the emails, replied to them, or even sent a new email. When you shift from your first gadget to the second your emails get downloaded again, and since the server doesn’t know about your previous actions, it will show nothing but new “unread” emails to you. Even more, your replied message is not available since you sent it from your first device.

So, in a nutshell, even though you've read something on your phone, your computer doesn't know it because POP can't tell it that. There are essentially two options. The best choice is to use IMAP if possible - it will sync these changes across multiple devices.

If IMAP is not an option for whatever reason, most email clients and phones have the option to delete a message from the POP server once it's downloaded. This means if you check email on your computer and receive 5 new messages, those messages will not show up on your phone later, and vice versa. This eliminates the "duplicate new email" problem, but means that your messages are split across devices, which is generally not helpful.

If you can go IMAP, definitely do it. And if you have a few minutes, read through that article above. It's somewhat old in tech terms (from 2008), but the general concepts still apply.

Hopefully this helps!

- David Z.

Hateslinger

Reaction score
Pop is equivalent to typewriters. Trust me, get on the exchange my friend.

Sent from Verizon in Phoenix, AZ, running a rooted Thunderbolt, with Lightning Rom v3.3.1 / Adrynalyne 4.4.3