Email help, new to smartphones

jeremiahm

Reaction score
I have a new moto droid and the email is spotty, to say the least. For one, it keeps bringing in email that I have already read as unread email, two, emails comes back in after I delete them, and three, it's real slow to receive emails. I'm using hotmail and I have my update time at five minutes.

Is this normal? I have never had a smartphone before, so I have nothing to compare my experience to.

Jeremiah

OP
J

jeremiahm

Reaction score
??

Is my problem too general, unheard of, or does this forum just snub newbies? :)

Thanks for all future responses,

jeremiah

carpenter_22

Reaction score
i have been having the same problems as you and i am getting tired of deleting emails over and over again. i use hotmail to

EbE404

Reaction score
I have a new moto droid and the email is spotty, to say the least. For one, it keeps bringing in email that I have already read as unread email, two, emails comes back in after I delete them, and three, it's real slow to receive emails. I'm using hotmail and I have my update time at five minutes.

Is this normal? I have never had a smartphone before, so I have nothing to compare my experience to.

Jeremiah

Are you using POP or IMAP? A lot of folks have been having issues with Hotmail from what I've read, after the latest update, so it could be a hotmail issue. Are you having similar issues with Gmail?

OP
J

jeremiahm

Reaction score
k9

What's k9? What's a "native" account? Sorry, but I'm new to this scene!

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
K9, Maildroid, and Touchdown are email clients. They are apps that interface with email servers to send and receive email. On a computer, some email clients are Outlook, Thunderbird, and Eudora.

I don't know what a "native" account is...something the natives use, I guess.

OP
J

jeremiahm

Reaction score
ok

Does this mean that I can't use my 14 year old Hotmail account?

EbE404

Reaction score
Does this mean that I can't use my 14 year old Hotmail account?

You can use your Hotmail account. i would also suggest seeing it it supports IMAP instead of POP, as that might also help clean up some of your issues.

Download one of the clients suggested, and when you configure it, set it up to use your Hotmail account. You will need to check with Hotmail to see if it supports IMAP.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't think hotmail supports IMAP but I could be wrong. Worth a shot!

Let me tell you what I'd do:
-look for "Market" on your phone
-search the market for K9
-make sure it is the email client, and not something else
-install k9
-run k9 and you will be able to enter your account settings

This thread has info about people using K9 and hotmail successfully: K-9 not getting pop3 email... - Android Forums