Email Check Frequency problem

superchachi

Reaction score
I'd love some help getting Gmail to push to Droid. I only have Gmail. I don't see any setting on PC's Gmail about push and going to m.google.com/mail, more, even more and then sync just tells me to go to m.google.com/sync on my PC, which tells me to go to m.google.com/mail on Droid. Help?!

fjhiii

Reaction score
in fact, my email client freaked out last night. it got stuck in a refresh loop and killed my battery. it drained my battery in a matter of 2hrs with casual usage and the battery usage meter said that it was the email client's fault.

I think this is happening to me. Any ideas how to fix this?

superchachi

Reaction score
What I do know for sure is the built-in Power Control is very useful. Press and hold on an open space on a home screen, select Widgets, Power Control. I have it on the bottom of my left Home screen, because it takes up on whole line. The Power Control bar makes it SUPER simple to toggle Wifi, BlueTooth, GPS, Sync and 3 Brightness levels.

What I'm trying to do is find out how to get Gmail to immediately sync with my Droid without having to hit the Sync icon. I read that it's possible, even easy. I, however, seem to be having trouble.

Hope this helps!

fjhiii

Reaction score
I checked my phone again this morning and it still appears to be stuck in a email refresh loop.

Could it be a problem with the way it was setup on Exchange? Maybe the Push is in the loop because there is information not syncing with my phone?

superchachi

Reaction score
Shoot, sorry, I'm worthless there. Are you trying to sync an email account OTHER than your Gmail?

kinhell

Reaction score
Same issue here (in UK)

My Droid (or Milestone as they're strangely called in the UK) arrived on Saturday.. the charge on it must have only lasted 24 hours before it died.. the battery report said it was the email client taking up most of the power (useful report that!).

I'd set up 2 email accounts; 1 Exchange, 1 Gmail (via the email client app so that I could see both inboxes merged together). The update frequency was set to 30min on those 2, plus I did the same on the Gmail app just to make sure. I never seemed to get any notifications on new email, having to hit refresh manually to get anything. Then any changes I made never seemed to get synced up.

The email client on the iPhone is excellent and it should be as good on the Droid.. they've had the time to develop this thing & it should be flawless!

kinhell

Reaction score
After a full charge yesterday I'm running low on juice already.. not even 24 hours later. According to the Battery Use Details screen com.android.email has taken up 23% of the battery over a 14h period. It's run for 41m 22s in total, and 60s CPU foreground.

Locale has been used to turn Wifi off from 23:00 to 05:00, and there is no 3G (or any data service) enabled on this SIM.

This is pretty ridiculous. If it's so busy using CPU, why isn't it actually picking up my email?? It just sits there chewing up power and only displays new messages when it feels like it (i.e. almost never). :mad:

Silver Member
Reaction score
seriously guys, if you can avoid it, just stop using the email client. either use pop forwarding or have gmail check your other accoutns for you. messages are pushed and the gmail client takes little to no cpu/battery usage.

ROJO

Reaction score
GPS locking up?

My GPS icon is randomly turning on and off. Then after a few hours it stays on, and it will not find "My location". If I remove the battery and restart it will work for a while, but then end up in the same state after a few hours. Any suggestions?

ROJO

Reaction score
Sorry just realized I posted in the wrong thread. Could a mod please move or delete? thanks

kinhell

Reaction score
After 3G/data was enabled on my phone this problem seems to have gone away. I'm also using Locale to switch it into flight mode at night.

ROJO

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. 3Gdata enable? Could you please elaborate. Thanks

sterbs1

Reaction score
Email Check Frequency resetting

I had the same problem with the droid using an imap email address.

To resolve it, I deleted my account from the droid, then set it up again this time choosing "never" for email check frequency in the initial setup. From that point on it has held the "never" setting and I just check it manually when I want to.

EdVal

Reaction score
- Corporate MAIL (using pop3 though, not exchange).
So it sets up ok. Nice thing is I recieve directly from the other accounts and can responde directly from them with only those respective email addresses. The interface is fine. interesting that there is a "deselect all" option but not a "select all" one.
Main issue though is, as previously stated, I delete or read emails, and every time it checks for new, it gives me indicators (notificatins, and number next to email boxes indicating new emails) that I have new emails...THE SAME EMAILS IVE ALREADY DELETED OR READ are back in my inbox. So I spend the day going over, deleting, marking "read", etc...the same emails I already have...not so productive.
Good news, and likely where the problem lies though - is that I have it selected to delete messages off server when I delete on device. Again, yes, I could deselect this but it defeats the purpose of productivity and efficiency. I don't to go through the same emails on both the device and PC...
SO frustrating, as there are pros' and cons to both ways, but in this day and age, I would fully expect both to just work. These are remedial but critical tasks.
Very dissappointed to say the least.
Droid is awesome and I realize it's new, but come on - email is very important. I don't use it as just a toy.

That is EXACTLY what I was coming on here to say.

I have my own business email (POP3) that I set up on the Droid. All went well and it sync'd up just fine. The issue is that it doesn't grab new emails until the day is done or I RESTART (power off and on) the phone...what gives there? Sometimes it shows them before my PC (phone is next to me) and then sometimes it never gets the emails at all.

I am away from home..and expect my emails to come directly to my phone, thus the reason for setting it up. I get no emails, get home and have 10-20 emails on my computer. I restart my phone and there they come!! WTH??

Then on top of that, that 'same email' crap happens way too often. I delete them or mark "as read" so they aren't highlighted. Then I get a notification of a new email and it's the exact same ones highlighted again! I delete them..then they come back AGAIN...very annoying and ridiculous! Moving from a Blackberry to a DROID is just about the worst move ever.

Is there any type of fix for this?