Email Check Frequency problem

Geopelli

Reaction score
I cannot identify a specific pattern but my Email Check Frequency changes itself from "Never" to Every 5 minutes. I change it back to Never but at sometime later it returns to Every 5 minutes.

In addition, when I set the email notification ringtone from the default setting of the "Droid" sound to something else, it returns to the Droid setting.

This happens to my Pacbell email account. I do not want to delete my email account, I just want to control when I check for new email.

Anyone know a fix for them problem?

bamfsig45

Reaction score
I check all email accounts with gmail. So all my mail is pushed to my phone instead of having my phone check for email. Go to your gmail account and set it up to check your Pacbell email and then give it a label so when it hits your gmail inbox you know where it came from.

mrredskin

Reaction score
i recommend what bam said.. use it all through google. i have hotmail setup on mine and it will come up with "unread" messages every 15 minutes... on messages i have already read like 15 times! annoying as hell

wildrage

Reaction score
Not automatically checking e-mail

I'm having the opposite problem. I have 2 accounts set to check e-mail every 15 mins, and they NEVER seem to check e-mail. At the end fo the day I'll hit 'refresh' and BAM, all of the day's e-mails come in. I'm always in full service in NYC.

Silver Member
Reaction score
stop using the email client. it's a pig and doesn't work well. coming from winmo, i missed pocket outlook and was hesitant to allow gmail to control everything, but gmail is able to label and filter all of your forwarded emails, so i've completely stopped using the email client and only use gmail.

gmail now controls all of my emails and will only push as i get messages. push > set interval, no matter when you set it.

in fact, my email client freaked out last night. it got stuck in a refresh loop and killed my battery. it drained my battery in a matter of 2hrs with casual usage and the battery usage meter said that it was the email client's fault.

use gmail, setup labeling and call it a day.

memoself

Reaction score
can you give detail directions on how to set my att account up on gmail?

OP
Geopelli

Geopelli

Reaction score
I like that there is a "work around". I will likely give it a try.

If I am the only one with this problem, I guess it does not raise to the level of being a "bug".

When is a problem a Bug?

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Silver Member
Reaction score
can you give detail directions on how to set my att account up on gmail?
how do you set it up in outlook? it's probably a pop3 account. just go to gmail and settings and then import and type in your email address. google might be smart enough to locate your pop3 information.

wildrage

Reaction score
stop using the email client. it's a pig and doesn't work well. coming from winmo, i missed pocket outlook and was hesitant to allow gmail to control everything, but gmail is able to label and filter all of your forwarded emails, so i've completely stopped using the email client and only use gmail.

gmail now controls all of my emails and will only push as i get messages. push > set interval, no matter when you set it.

in fact, my email client freaked out last night. it got stuck in a refresh loop and killed my battery. it drained my battery in a matter of 2hrs with casual usage and the battery usage meter said that it was the email client's fault.

That would be fine with me, but then I'm stuck having to clear all of the messages off of my e-mail server all the time. I also use the account at work through Outlook. Can anyone recommend a better e-mail client?

Silver Member
Reaction score

That would be fine with me, but then I'm stuck having to clear all of the messages off of my e-mail server all the time. I also use the account at work through Outlook. Can anyone recommend a better e-mail client?
you do? remove the check from "leave a copy on the server" and be done.

bamfsig45

Reaction score
I just ran a test. On my Cox.net account I was having Gmail check those accounts for me, and they were being checked like once an hour or so. So I changed the settings in my Cox accounts to automatically forward mail to my Gmail account.

I sent a test email from my work email account to my cox account. I got the email on my phone with in like 10 - 20 seconds. So Maybe Gmail checking for other accounts isnt the best and it best to forward other accounts to Gmail.

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just ran a test. On my Cox.net account I was having Gmail check those accounts for me, and they were being checked like once an hour or so. So I changed the settings in my Cox accounts to automatically forward mail to my Gmail account.

I sent a test email from my work email account to my cox account. I got the email on my phone with in like 10 - 20 seconds. So Maybe Gmail checking for other accounts isnt the best and it best to forward other accounts to Gmail.
hmm... that's a thought...

Silver Member
Reaction score

what if you leave the POP3 settings in GMAIL AND forwarded it? GMAIL should be smart enough to know what to do with the mail... and you'll still get to reply through that account.

Silver Member
Reaction score
one of my hotmail accounts didn't like it.

You're only able to forward mail to a custom domain or an e-mail address that ends in hotmail.com, msn.com, or live.com. Please try again.

i wonder what's diff between the two.