email check frequency, calendar, Screen On button

fliggyg

Reaction score
Just got a droid and love many of the features. however, coming from the curve i miss a couple things also. I see there is a couple things i would like to find a work around if possible.

1 - Email - the most frequent email check is 5 minutes? I am use to getting emails instantly.. I am operations manager of Ambulance service and sometimes time does matter (even if its just a couple minutes)

2 - Is the a way or program the allows the calendar to make a manual repetition for an event? I needed to setup something to reaccrure every other wednesday and cant seem to figure out how to do that. On teh curve I could set manual reaccurance and had it set to 14 days.. Is there a way?

3 - The turn on screen power button on top . Is there a way to make it where I touch the screen it will come on from sleep? Bypass the turn on button????

4 - I use the yahoo mail with upgrade account so i get my emails on the phone. However, is there a way to add folders other than the inbox and trash un the email? I am prolly doing something wrong but say I get an email i want but dont want to delete it and dont want to have it in the inbox. is there a way to move it into another folder to keep it but not have to see it every time i open the inbox? I am trying to setup outlook with yahoo to see if more options are available but I really am ignorant on all this..

Any and all help is very much appreciated..

Last edited:

bamfsig45

Reaction score
1. I have found that by setting up my pop3 email accounts to auto forward to my gmail account I am getting email on my phone in about 15 - 30 seconds after being sent.

2. there is a setting when you edit/add an event called Repetition, you should be able to adjust it there.

3. nothing that I know of yet.

4. Only in gmail does it have that functionality that I am aware of. Can you set up your Yahoo to auto forward to Gmail?

OP
F

fliggyg

Reaction score
Thank you for the responses..

I will look at the yahoo and see if I can forward to gmail so that may be an option.

The Repetition option in the calendar has presets and 14 days is not an option. there are only limited options for the presets and nothing that can be modified or adjusted unless i have overlooked... I have looked several times but with me you never know as i get side tracked easily.. Will look at it again but believe it is not possible..

Hope they come out wit an option to just tap the screen to turn the phone on.. Its not that big a deal but would be nice.

i have also tinkered with a few apps and although there a lot of apps, many do not work well.. for ex: I loved the wifi on/off toggle switch app but noticed that when I use it it will not reconnect to 3g when i turn off the wifi... I have to reboot the phone to get connected again... i have since just placed a shortcut for wifi in the settings..

BTW - I LOVE THIS PHONE.. I can handle the cons for the pros I get for sure!!!

kt3456

Reaction score
Just got a droid and love many of the features. however, coming from the curve i miss a couple things also. I see there is a couple things i would like to find a work around if possible.

1 - Email - the most frequent email check is 5 minutes? I am use to getting emails instantly.. I am operations manager of Ambulance service and sometimes time does matter (even if its just a couple minutes)

2 - Is the a way or program the allows the calendar to make a manual repetition for an event? I needed to setup something to reaccrure every other wednesday and cant seem to figure out how to do that. On teh curve I could set manual reaccurance and had it set to 14 days.. Is there a way?

3 - The turn on screen power button on top . Is there a way to make it where I touch the screen it will come on from sleep? Bypass the turn on button????

4 - I use the yahoo mail with upgrade account so i get my emails on the phone. However, is there a way to add folders other than the inbox and trash un the email? I am prolly doing something wrong but say I get an email i want but dont want to delete it and dont want to have it in the inbox. is there a way to move it into another folder to keep it but not have to see it every time i open the inbox? I am trying to setup outlook with yahoo to see if more options are available but I really am ignorant on all this..

Any and all help is very much appreciated..
The only way so far to put in an every other week event is in the google calendar on the internet. You have to set that up though with a google account. Then it can sync automatically with your Droid
Hope this helps.

myriad46

Reaction score
Steps to email and calendar bliss on the Droid:

Step 1: Get and use GMail, GCalendar, Contacts, as your primary...
Step 2: Get Droid
Step 3: Be happy

The single greatest feature of Android, IMO, is the google integration. I get email on my phone before it hits an open occurance of gmail on my desktop. It downloads my contacts and calendar, seamlessly and quickly.

One note: it is important to clean up you contacts in google, before this all goes down. I have always used my email (yahoo, hotmail, and now gmail) for my address book, and as such, have kept it clean.

Utzz

Reaction score
I loved the wifi on/off toggle switch app but noticed that when I use it it will not reconnect to 3g when i turn off the wifi...

The wifi on/off toggle switch app...that you got from the market? If yes, give the built-in 'Power Control' widget a try.

Sidewind

Reaction score
Beautifull widgets has some nice wifi/bluetooth/gps widget that i havnt had a problem with..only thing i dont like is the GPS just Links you to the setting for it instead of turning it on or off

myriad46

Reaction score
This is because, unlike Bluetooth and WiFi, GPS, even if set to "on", only really runs if an application calls for it. It's a receive only technology, so either it's listening or it's not. Bluetooth and Wifi need to be able to communicate back and forth, so when they are on, they are reaching out and looking for a partner at a pre-determined frequency.

When the icon for GPS is on your status bar, it's being used. When it's not, you're good to go.