Email Apps and loading on Droid

rabooze

Reaction score
I am sure there have been a thousand threads on this topic but I searched for K9 and didnt find any results. I am currently running the MailDroid App and the K9 app for emails on my phone. I just started trying out the K9 because of the rave reviews however I find that it is slower on loading emails. I am new to the Droid having come over from a BB. Is there not a good email app that will truly download the emails from the server and keep them on the hard drive of the phone so it doesnt have to go and find them every time I go to the inbox? The BB essentially downloaded the emails as they came in rather than having to look for them each time. The GMail app is ok but I use my phone for business and when I compose a new email I dont like having to remember to change the default email account to send from (defaults to gmail account and I cant figure out how to change) and the GMail is 20-30 minutes lagging on hitting the servers of my other emails to pull them down. MailDroid (I have MailDroid Pro) and K9 are much faster. All in all I have found the Droid Charge to be a more "personal" phone than a business phone and just wished there was a 4G Blackberry out now with a similar interface. Any advice I would appreciate. Thanks,

googlelover

Reaction score
Go into the settings for k9, it has options to automatically download messages of a certain size and save them on your phone, might be slow at loading your messages, but it works well.

rayw796

Reaction score
I use Enhanced Email on my tablet and it works fine. I have 3 different accounts setup on it from Exchange, Yahoo and Comcast. I have color coded each one so that even in combined inbox view I can easily tell which is which. I set up my default as the Exchange account, but can easily change it.

I also use the default email account for Android and it works very well on my Droid phone. I have those same three accounts setup here. I don't use a combined view here at all.

I imagine K9 should work equally as well though I do not have experience with it. You need to be very sure you are looking at the settings and they are configured as you wish. The FAQ's on the market for K9 provide several 'how tos' involving the settings.

PARick

Reaction score
I can't recommend TouchDown any more highly. If you run exchange email it is hands down the best email app. You do have to purchase it after the trial. So give the free version a try. Their support is top notch as well.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Is there not a good email app that will truly download the emails from the server and keep them on the hard drive of the phone so it doesnt have to go and find them every time I go to the inbox?
What types of email accounts are you using? From your OP we can tell you're using gmail but you mention "other accounts" as well. If they're pull accounts you won't be happy with any solution. There's no BIS equivalent in the Android world. That said, there's also no equivalent to RIM outages.

All in all I have found the Droid Charge to be a more "personal" phone than a business phone
Depends on how you use it and set it up. You'd probably be happier if you used a "business" mail service such as hosted Exchange along with a good Exchange client on your device.

If you run exchange email it is hands down the best email app.
Best is always highly subjective and it's no different with Android Exchange clients. I prefer Touchdown but that doesn't make it best for everyone. Never assume that your preferences are universal. At least provide details on why you think it is best so that others can evaluate for themselves. For me, Touchdown's ability to specify any number of days of email to sync and its rules for custom email notifications were 2 major reasons why I preferred Touchdown. Touchdown's popular but it's not the only Exchange client out there. Anyone looking for an Exchange client should also check out Moxer and RoadSync among the other options out there.

It doesn't sound like the OP is using an Exchange account. However, Touchdown does store email locally and ActiveSync works well (better than my BB's did and they were on BES).

Last edited: