K9 and native eMail....

Scottay5150

Reaction score
I have a Moto Droid and am now using K9 App. My phone is stock (as in no over clocking and not rooted). I do have various apps installed. What I need to know is K9 an overlay on the native eMail program. Or is it a standalone program that I can delete the stock eMail program. If so, what can I delete out of the phone?
Because when I get a new eMail it comes up in both programs... redundant
TIA
Scott

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have a Moto Droid and am now using K9 App. My phone is stock (as in no over clocking and not rooted). I do have various apps installed. What I need to know is K9 an overlay on the native eMail program. Or is it a standalone program that I can delete the stock eMail program. If so, what can I delete out of the phone?
TIA
Scott

Welcome to your newest obsession, Scottay5150! Glad you've decided to join us here on the forum!

As to your native app question, unless you are rooted you can't remove any apps that come stock on the Droid. That's not to say you can't just drag the ones you don't want to the bottom of the screen and drop them into the trash. This takes them offscreen and leaves them only in the app tray. Hope that helps! Enjoy!

:welcome:

stevehy

Reaction score
The reason that you are getting double notifications is because you need to turn off all notifications in the standard email program. Do this and your double notifications will disappear. Btw, watch that you get notifications from K9, as it can be troublesome in this regard.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I never use the stock email app. I simply removed all configurations from it. Period. You don't have to remove the program. Just remove the icon from your screen and ignore it.

As far as K-9 is concerned, I simply have all my email from all sources forwarded to my google gmail account and point K-9 at that account. I seldom use the gmail app. Instead I access my email through K-9.

Done this way you don't have to depend on K-9 "polling" and pulling email. When the email is pushed from google gmail to my phone, the K-9 notification is automatic and (in my experience at least) completely reliable.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Like JSH1120, I use K9 to read my Gmail. For me, K9 is a very nice replacement to the stock app and works well.

Mike

dsigrist

Reaction score
Using GMail as a forward

My use of Email with an IMAPS install gives me more that 20,000 messages since my phone is now synched with the emai server.

To filter this down to just recent mail (last 10 days) I could forward my mail to a GMail account with a filter.

Of course the problem is that you loose the e-mail address of the sender, and when you reply, to get the GMail account.

And, when you delete the mail that you have read, it does not delete it from the email server.

Oh well! How can I use Email with IMAP and filter out only the last 10 days? The Blacberry does it.

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
My use of Email with an IMAPS install gives me more that 20,000 messages since my phone is now synched with the emai server.

To filter this down to just recent mail (last 10 days) I could forward my mail to a GMail account with a filter.

Of course the problem is that you loose the e-mail address of the sender, and when you reply, to get the GMail account.

And, when you delete the mail that you have read, it does not delete it from the email server.

Oh well! How can I use Email with IMAP and filter out only the last 10 days? The Blacberry does it.

I answered this over in your original post.

dsigrist

Reaction score
There is no entry for limitations on incoming messages for IMAP.

segen77

Reaction score

I answered this over in your original post.

Can you link to the original post, I would like to know this as well.

thanks

dsigrist

Reaction score
Not sure how to link an original message. I replied to a message from Scotty on K9 and GMail.