Email app vs Gmail app for two different email accounts?

b8b

Reaction score
Email app vs Gmail app for two different email accounts? Which is better? I hear the unified messaging makes it hard to see which emails are coming from which account. Switching between in Gmail is a bit cumbersome and notifications are not distinguished.

I setup Gmail initially, but it doesn't seem to have some basic functionality. Now when I go to delete my gmail account, it tells me the whole phone depends on it and all my settings will be deleted and will be restored to factory default. Woh. Is it worth doing?

kyoo

Reaction score
I actually accidentally added gmail accounts on both the email and gmail app and i cant figure out how to remove the email account one...

OP
B

b8b

Reaction score
I actually accidentally added gmail accounts on both the email and gmail app and i cant figure out how to remove the email account one...

Strange. Once I added my Gmail account, I can't have it as an exchange email account or nothing shows in the Inbox. This is pretty lame. I'm reading THIS thread and wondering if I can wait for the simple stuff to be fixed.

eversonsc

Reaction score
It's best to set the Gmail up with the Gmail icon because that way the email will be pushed. I just found that out this morning. If you want to delete accounts you need to go to "accounts and sync" and delete them that way

OP
B

b8b

Reaction score
It's best to set the Gmail up with the Gmail icon because that way the email will be pushed. I just found that out this morning.

It supposedly able to unify the messaging if you have two Gmail accounts in the email app using the ActiveSync which is also push. That was my understanding at least.

OP
B

b8b

Reaction score
anyone no how to get messages from a hotmail.com acct on the Droid?

Use the mail app and follow the prompts... that should work, I think. Better to now move to gmail and pull your hotmail emails from there. Then you get push email, calendar and contacts syncing ;)

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
anyone no how to get messages from a hotmail.com acct on the Droid?

Use the mail app and follow the prompts... that should work, I think. Better to now move to gmail and pull your hotmail emails from there. Then you get push email, calendar and contacts syncing ;)

You can't setup hotmail accounts to forward their emails to other accounts (such as a gmail account) without paying microsoft a fee for the extra feature. This was true like 2 years ago or so when I tried to help a friend forward hotmail emails to a gmail account (so she could get incoming emails from hotmail automatically transferred to her gmail account to make migration easy).

Its a real pain for those who have old hotmail accounts but are trying to migrate to another email service. Thats why I tell everyone to start with gmail to begin with, so many features and free.

papaboomboom

Reaction score
My approach

I use Yahoo small business services for multiple email accounts. I then used Outlook, Droid Gmail, and Droid email apps to access the POP account and pick up the mail. I am testing having both email apps on the Droid get email. The Droid email app is faster, but gmail seems to pick up everything and reads natively pdf attachments.

I set up my Droid with a personal gmail account, but added a business gmail account when I got the phone. Rather than delete the initiating gmail account and reset the phone, I did the following:

a. Set up the personal gmail account (the one I set up the phone with) to synch the calendar function since you cannot synch the calendar with any account other than the one you originally set up the phone with.

b. Set up the business gmail account to synch with my mail pop server on yahoo. Under the accounts menu you can tell the droid which accounts to synch for mail and calendar.

c. Set up the business gmail account calendar (on the web) to automatically forward any calendar activities to the personal gmail calendar so that the personal gmail account could synch with my Droid. (did this on my pc)

Everything works fine. At some point I will synch either the Droid email app or the gmail app only.

bennyj

Reaction score

Go into the email app where the gmail acc that you want remove is located, long press on the gmail, select remove. This will still leave gmail acc on your phone, but only within the gmail app now.

sabbry

Reaction score
I'm looking to get rid of the Gmail email app.

I have 4 email accounts. I don't see the sense of having 3 in the Email app and 1 in the Gmail app.

How do I get that account in the Gmail app over to the Email app and avoid duplicate notifications?

(The phone started using the gmail app out of the blue for that account two weeks ago and it's frustrated me since)

warrior21

Reaction score
I'm looking to get rid of the Gmail email app.

I have 4 email accounts. I don't see the sense of having 3 in the Email app and 1 in the Gmail app.

How do I get that account in the Gmail app over to the Email app and avoid duplicate notifications?

(The phone started using the gmail app out of the blue for that account two weeks ago and it's frustrated me since)
You can use and app like K-9 for multiple email accounts including gmail