Echo or reverb in phone calls

windstrings

Reaction score
Get into the programming menu, from the call screen, enter ##PROGRAM and press send. Enter code 000000.

In option 04, you can change the vocode option to EVRC-B, it made my in-call audio sound better. Your phone will reset after you exit and apply the new setting.

Well I jumped in..... I'm game... thanks, I was wondering how to get into that mode.

Do you seem to have everything intact?..
Your apps still update fine and everything syncs etc?

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Get into the programming menu, from the call screen, enter ##PROGRAM and press send. Enter code 000000.

In option 04, you can change the vocode option to EVRC-B, it made my in-call audio sound better. Your phone will reset after you exit and apply the new setting.

Well I jumped in..... I'm game... thanks, I was wondering how to get into that mode.?
go to your call screen and dial ##PROGRAM/send/enter code 000000

appirishmen

Reaction score
hey, i just got my Droid this weekend and all of a sudden it started this echoing. i tried the battery pull, *228 1 and 2 and nothing worked. is the only way to fix this to go and a get a new phone?

windstrings

Reaction score
hey, i just got my Droid this weekend and all of a sudden it started this echoing. i tried the battery pull, *228 1 and 2 and nothing worked. is the only way to fix this to go and a get a new phone?

Not sure.. I think its gonna take an update.... some have taken it back as many as three times to get the same issue.

Just when I think I've got mine fixed.. it shows up again.

someone said the Dec 11 update will address the issue.

nixter

Reaction score
echo/reverb

Found something interesting out on the droid echo/reverb issue. Possibly related...
Talking with several people over the phone, they said it echoed or sounded like I was far away. I've been trying out standard wired headsets with a 2.5->3.5 adapter (purchased from verizon) to the droid, turns out only the speaker on the headsets work, not the mic.
It's been using the mic off the droid the whole time!
I'm going to try the iphone style headset and see if that works. May not be related at all, but hopefully this helps someone out.

-Nick

windstrings

Reaction score
Found something interesting out on the droid echo/reverb issue. Possibly related...
Talking with several people over the phone, they said it echoed or sounded like I was far away. I've been trying out standard wired headsets with a 2.5->3.5 adapter (purchased from verizon) to the droid, turns out only the speaker on the headsets work, not the mic.
It's been using the mic off the droid the whole time!
I'm going to try the iphone style headset and see if that works. May not be related at all, but hopefully this helps someone out.

-Nick

Its something software related... yes it may be facilitated through hardware, but software is creating the anomally unless certain towers are not friendly to this droid.

The reason I say is that when its bad,... its bad and when its gone , its gone. Case is the same, speaker, mic... all the hardware unchanged, yet a reboot or even chaning vocodec mode seems to change it.

I just had a call that sounded compressed and artificial and switched back to the normal vocodec and it was normal sounding again... would it have corrected with just a reboot and no change to the vocodec?.. who knows... but I can't seem to find a rhythm of what fixes it yet....

I certainly hope the next update fixes it for good because Im past the point of no return... I don't think I could ever go back to a regular phone.. I"m way too spoiled now.

I'm confident Google and Verizon have way too much invested in this venture to not perfect the issue.

moparharn

Reaction score
People are making me hang up and call them back on a land line

They are complaining that they is a huge echo in the phone, yet all I hear is a bunch of static. I have never heard an echo, but I have heard alot of crackling and static. The one thing I was sure of when I bought this phone was that the voice quality was going to be the best you buy because og Motorola and the Verizon network. NOT!!! I hope the passion is out soon because I have until December 17th to make my mind up on the Droid. If the passion is not out by then and I still am not satisfied with the Droid, I am going back to ATT and getting an Iphone.:mad:

appirishmen

Reaction score
well mine is fixed. it turns out the echo only happened when i was talking to my dad on his droid while he was at his office. i called him again today and it was fine. turns out it was just a bad connection or something. ive also heard that there might not be an update on the 11th? i read somewhere that they might push it back?

windstrings

Reaction score
If the passion is not out by then and I still am not satisfied with the Droid, I am going back to ATT and getting an Iphone.:mad:

The Droid does so much, I can't bear going back to a mere phone... I'm sure between Google and Verizon it will be fixed perfectly.... this is their flagship right now and they both have plenty of money "especiallyl Google" to fix anything they want!

Be patient so you don't have buyers remorse later.

T0DD

Reaction score
I just wanted to add my name to the list of people who have experienced the echo issue... it happened to me also.

I powered down/restarted and turned off the "Voice Privacy" option and ever since then I haven't had an issue. I have also done the *228 also, just for good measure.

I do notice static or (air/crackling) when I make any call. It's rather annoying, however, if I'm using my Jawbone Prime (bluetooth earpiece) I don't have any issues at all.

Anyhow, just wanted to add my name to the growing list of people who have had the "echo" problem.

windstrings

Reaction score
Most of use turn off the voice privacy early on thinking we had it fixed, but it comes back.
Then the *228 option 1 and 2
then rebooting the phone
then pulling out the battery

Then going into programming and changing the vocodec to -B "the latest"...

All of these fixes still leave sporatic and temporary fixes.

I never know when its gonna happen... usually its first thing in the morning for me after charging all night... but I can't find a tie in or relation to pinpoint a fix.... too many variables with cell towers involved too.

bspill

Reaction score
I've noticed that the problem has not come back for me since I turned off the bluetooth. It's been almost a week now with no problems. I'll just not use bluetooth unitl the fix comes along

juliem

Reaction score
Just adding my name to the list of folks experiencing the echo. My voice sounds fine, but people on the other end started complaining yesterday. Turning off voice privacy didn't work; going to try the reboot and 228 next.