eBay Phones, Clean ESNs and WiFi OH MY!

aharmona

Reaction score
I'm interested to know if it's possible when buying an HTC Incredible (or any applicable phone really) phone unopened from say eBay or wherever, can that device be activated and use only the WiFi signal without having to attain a phone number or contact Verizon?

I'm interested (for now) in using the device simple as a WiFi device until I decide to get the 3G internet plan and would like to know if it's possible.

What exactly happens when you turn on the phone when you first get it out of the box? Is contact with Verizon required even if I want to use it as a WiFi only device?

Thanks!

jasonb

Reaction score
My non activated Droid still works on WiFi. I can even go on the market and still download apps. WiFi will have nothing to do with being activated. WiFi should even work on a phone that has a black listed ESN.

OP
A

aharmona

Reaction score
Sounds like what I was hoping is true. You can turn on the phone and use it as a WiFi device right out of the box and access the Droid Marketplace and everything, just can't make phone calls, right?

Yodes

Reaction score
Sounds like what I was hoping is true. You can turn on the phone and use it as a WiFi device right out of the box and access the Droid Marketplace and everything, just can't make phone calls, right?

Correct from my understanding, however I wonder how google voice would factor into this. I would imagine calls would still be a no but I wonder about text messaging.

OP
A

aharmona

Reaction score
Right, Skype was something else I'd played with on my Droid Eris (before returning it) but first things first :)

I just want to make sure I can turn on the HTC Inredible right out of the box and NOT activate it through Verizon, yet enjoy it using WiFi.

I believe I have one confirmation on that...anyone else?

OP
A

aharmona

Reaction score
Correct from my understanding, however I wonder how google voice would factor into this. I would imagine calls would still be a no but I wonder about text messaging.

Not sure yet but are you confirming that once I get the phone out of the box, I can use it as a WiFi device immediately? I read somewhere I might still have to contact Verizon during initialization?

dwagner88

Reaction score
iPod touch would be much cheaper. Hell you could probably get an iPad cheaper if you just want a wifi media player.

TekHawk

Reaction score
SMS through google voice would work but not the calls just to confirm that

and after doing a radio update it puts it into a non-activated state pretty sure wifi was working as i had to google the number to call to activate it on CM when that happened

OP
A

aharmona

Reaction score
iPod touch would be much cheaper. Hell you could probably get an iPad cheaper if you just want a wifi media player.

Without getting into a spec flame war, I might upgrade to the Verizon wireless service at some point :)

wardo5757

Reaction score

Not sure yet but are you confirming that once I get the phone out of the box, I can use it as a WiFi device immediately? I read somewhere I might still have to contact Verizon during initialization?
No! you cannot open the box and start using the phone WITHOUT activating thru Verizon. You must first activate then you could drop you plan and use it for wi-fi only.

jasonb

Reaction score

No! you cannot open the box and start using the phone WITHOUT activating thru Verizon. You must first activate then you could drop you plan and use it for wi-fi only.

i don't think that's true.

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You WILL be able to use the Incredible without activating it on the Verizon.

You will not be able to Make or receive calls, Send or receive texts, Be able to access 3G or use Google navigation.

However you can access WiFi, the android market, and most of the apps :)

All you have to do is: Touch the top left corner, then the top right, then the bottom right, then the bottom left - counter clockwise and your off to the races :)

Signum

Reaction score
gotta activate before you can use the phone

reason being the device isnt provisoned for any sort of data services if its not activated (including text, which goes off 1XRTT data, not wifi)

sorry bud =(