Easier way to find and call a contact??

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
If you can't remember speed dial numbers like me, you can try AContacts. It lets you add home screen shortcuts for all contacts, call log, organizations (not sure what this is, mine is blank, I assume it would be imported work contacts), and groups. So, with groups of 24-28 you can have one touch access to bring up a screen with all 24-28 (more requires scrolling) and then short or long press the contact icon to call (you have to set that option).

OMEGA5

Reaction score
Voice Dial! Press and hold the search key then tell it "Call john smith" I'ver been using it for a few months now and it's pretty much flawless. Just don't use the actual voice dialer program, it sucks the big one. And to make it easier for contacts with multiple #'s designate a primary # and it'll automatically call that # without asking you to choose a #.

OP
FootballRef

FootballRef

Reaction score
How do I create a speed dial with Dialer One?

Start typing the name of the contact you want to add to speed dial, then long press on the contact you want to add (not the phone icon, but the name), and then when the menu comes up, tap Speed Dial. It'll let you assign anything between 2-99.

To actually dial a two-digit speed dial number, tap the first digit, then long-press the second digit.

By the way, another option that you'll see pops up when you long-press the contact is "Send Contact." That option will send that person's contact info to Gmail, Handcent, etc. for easy forwarding on to someone else.
Thanks. This has to be one of the best apps I have.

greyghost04

Reaction score
How about Gestures Search by Google? One desktop shortcut, click it and up comes a screen. trace letters on the screen and it narrows down your contact list.
It also searches for songs, apps and other stuff on your phone.

Thanks for this. It's the perfect app for calling.

jdlaw21

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for this awesome information. For me, seems like A Dialer is the winner. If you go into its settings<T9 setting<T8 search mode and select display name and number, it gives you the best of Nubdial and A Dialer. That way, even if you can't remember the speed dial number, you still have access to numbers as you would in Nubdial.

Again, thanks so much for this.

Two side questions...is there an app that allows you to group names under a specific group (i.e. family, business, school, etc.)?

Also, is there an app that will go through your contacts and make all of the phone numbers appear in the same format (xxx-xxx-xxxx, xxx.xxx.xxxx or (xxx) xxx-xxxx)?

Reaction score
before i bought the moto droid, i had the htc droid eris and one thing i loved about that phone was it's dialpad & contacts screen, if you needed to dial someones #, just dial thier name and thier # would show up. that was one feature i wish the moto droid had but didn't and i am GLAD i read this post because finally i can have this feature on my droid now thanks to the 3 apps you guys mentioned!!! i'm gonna give all 3 of them a try and see which one i like best.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for this awesome information. For me, seems like A Dialer is the winner. If you go into its settings<T9 setting<T8 search mode and select display name and number, it gives you the best of Nubdial and A Dialer. That way, even if you can't remember the speed dial number, you still have access to numbers as you would in Nubdial.

Two side questions...is there an app that allows you to group names under a specific group (i.e. family, business, school, etc.)?

I haven't used ADialer (not sure if you mean AContacts). But I think many of these programs import contacts from your Gmail. Gmail (web-based, not sure about thru Droid) is where you'd set-up specific groups that you're mentioning and then whatever program you're using should sync those contacts.

rjax

Reaction score

I haven't used ADialer (not sure if you mean AContacts). But I think many of these programs import contacts from your Gmail. Gmail (web-based, not sure about thru Droid) is where you'd set-up specific groups that you're mentioning and then whatever program you're using should sync those contacts.

He may have been talking about Dialer One -- the settings he talked about sound a lot like the Dialer One settings.

But that reminds me - if you're trying out Dialer One, make sure to go into the settings and play around -- the settings make the app very customizable.

For instance, those with live wallpapers active -- go into Application Theme and choose "Wallpaper" -- you'll be able to see your live wallpaper while dialing. (I'm assuming this would work for regular wallpapers, too.)

There's also a setting to let you organize contacts by last name, though this feature still needs some work as far I'm concerned.

DroidFan

Reaction score
For numbers that aren't my commonly dialed numbers, I have the "Voice Dial" app on my home screen. Tap, speak, "Call John Doe at mobile" and 99.9% of the time, it finds it quickly for me and I just tap to confirm the right number.

MiXoLoGiSt

Reaction score
IDK maybe its just me but finding a contact to call isn't hard for me. All i do is tap contacts and scroll to the person i want to call and hit call. Scrolling is fast and snappy so it shouldn't be too difficult to find someone. And if you dont like doing that there is the Speech to Text feature in 2.1 that will call your contact accurately 99% of the time.