Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
E3 is alive and looking pretty good. After Bethesda's conference last night and the announcement of a bunch of mobile games, I thought it might be time to bring the discussion alive here on the forum. Need a place to watch it live as it happens:

https://www.youtube.com/e3?feature=int-yo-e3-03

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Wish I had the time to keep up with E3.

Wonder if Sony will say anything about Uncharted, can't wait for that to come out. Excited about Tomb Raider, but not picking up a Xbox One just to play it when it's a timed exclusive and will come to ps4 eventually....I hope....

Not much else I'm really interested in E3 this year. Though I have heard of rumors of a ps4 redesign, wonder if those are true.

OP
thunderbolt_nick

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
Wish I had the time to keep up with E3.

Wonder if Sony will say anything about Uncharted, can't wait for that to come out. Excited about Tomb Raider, but not picking up a Xbox One just to play it when it's a timed exclusive and will come to ps4 eventually....I hope....

Not much else I'm really interested in E3 this year. Though I have heard of rumors of a ps4 redesign, wonder if those are true.

They did...but not much else. Kind of disappointed at the lineup this year. It's all about Fallout 4 and The Division

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Saw the Uncharted trailer, looked awesome. Can't wait for that come out and play multiplayer with friends (if we all have time hah!)

- FF7 remake looks pretty sweet, I'll probably grab that just for nostalgia's sake.
- Assassin's Creed Syndicate looks awesome and much more promising than Unity (I still haven't put more than 2hrs into it and I bought it on release day)
- The Last Guardian I was interested in 8yrs ago, that interest faded over the years and who knows if it'll even come out still, not getting my hopes up.

Can't say I was blown away by anything at E3 this year. Microsoft seems to be playing catch up imo by offering backward compatibility. Sony put their whole presentation on nostalgia and VR. And Nintendo showed some promise, but not enough reason to buy a Wii U, I'll just play it at my cousin's place.

Call of Duty, extremely tired of that franchise. Though with Sony having the rights to exclusive DLC, or at least first, that really favors them since COD is such a huge franchise with a cult following.

EA was terrible as usual.

Onto the topic of VR....I don't think that's the future of gaming. It'll be an offering of video games, but I don't think it will the future of gaming like how Sony was pushing it to be. The whole motion control in video games can be nice, but for "hardcore" gamers still prefer traditional approach, hand me a regular controller. Interesting to see, but I can't find myself putting on one of those headunits to play a game.

OP
thunderbolt_nick

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
Onto the topic of VR....I don't think that's the future of gaming. It'll be an offering of video games, but I don't think it will the future of gaming like how Sony was pushing it to be. The whole motion control in video games can be nice, but for "hardcore" gamers still prefer traditional approach, hand me a regular controller. Interesting to see, but I can't find myself putting on one of those headunits to play a game.

I can see that. I had that very same thought when they first introduced Google Glass and Oculus Rift. HoloLens is showing some true commercial promise. Not so much with hardcore as you say, but more of the casuals. Depending on the price, it could easily be another smartphone-level adoption. We'll see. I don't see it as a future for gaming. Heck, we've been using keyboards and controllers since the beginning. We haven't been wanting to use much else.

EA only had one good thing to say and they didn't say much on it an that was Mass Effect. Battlefront looked meh. I was more surprised at the RPG that was announced for Star Wars more than Battlefront, but it was just glazed over.

Call of Duty, extremely tired of that franchise. Though with Sony having the rights to exclusive DLC, or at least first, that really favors them since COD is such a huge franchise with a cult following.

I think you're talking about Titanfall II... :D

Microsoft seems to be playing catch up imo by offering backward compatibility. Sony put their whole presentation on nostalgia and VR.

This was my biggest problem and everyone seems to want to disagree with me on it. Why would we want to look backwards? What happened to wanting new IPs and new games. If I want to play 360 games...I have a 360 I can pull out and hook up. Just like my N64 to play Conker's. On top of that and the obvious: I'VE ALREADY PLAYED THESE GAMES! Where's your new games?! Halo and Gears was the only real response they had.

- The Last Guardian I was interested in 8yrs ago, that interest faded over the years and who knows if it'll even come out still, not getting my hopes up.

Here's what I don't get. I never heard of this game before this conference, I'll admit. It might not have been interesting to me whenever it had it's buzz. I watched it and my girlfriend looked over to me and goes, "Babe...is that really what people are excited about? Yelling out at your dog to come save you from falls you put yourself in" After some research, I realized it was from the creators of Shadows of Colossus and ICO. ICO I didn't really care for but SoC was pretty beast on PS2. However...what kind of demo was that? I felt I was watching a platformer/puzzle indie game not a massive and deep RPG that people were trying to argue with me that was what the game was about. Hell, it might even be the game, but as a first impression I was really turned off by it. I don't get hype anymore. :(

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I totally agree with the backward compatibility @thunderbolt_nick
Had backward compatibility been available from the start it would've been good, but them bringing it out almost 1.5yrs later, that's not impressive to me, plus it's only select titles, not full backward compatibility. And also agree that many adopters of these new systems are owners of the previous generation ones.

I'm not sure if we were left with a true trailer of The Last Guardian, it seemed more like a tech demo than really a gameplay demo. It was only a small piece of course, crumbs really. It had very little to do with gameplay/story and moreso to do with Sony saying they've been working on the game. It's been delayed so many times that people forgot about it and left it for dead. I know I did.

I haven't played Ico or SoC in years. I need to play those again before TLG comes out next year (supposedly). All they said was 2016, and with the history of delays and cancellations with the game, it'll probably be holiday season 2016, or most likely even pushed back to 2017. All that trailer was, was a glimmer of hope. For all we know, next E3 Sony could keep quiet about it again.