E-Mail is inadequate

oh no droid

Reaction score
I have several concerns with Droid's e-mail capability:

1) Today and for the last few days, several times, the e-mail client hung in Loading Messages.... mode and nothing short of powering down would get it to stop. Today, I discovered that I missed e-mail for a few hours for this reason. And worse, after rebooting the Droid, I still could not retrieve the missing mail that my desktop could retrieve.

2) Not being able to create folders is a huge shortcoming.

3) Not being able to cut and paste from one e-mail to another is another huge shortcoming. I use e-mail templates to respond to clients quickly by copying and pasting and editing and on the Droid this is impossible to accomplish.

4) I purchased Documents To Go and still, after a software update, I can not view most .pdf files sent to me. Some are viewable. The unviewable ones are always viewable on my desktop pc.

5) A large business critical spreadsheet will not load into Documents To Go. It starts and then freezes. Dataviz support is useless as they blame the Droid for every problem.

Please, please, someone produce a reasonably capable e-mail program for this otherwise wonderful phone or I, and I suspect many others will have to sell it and go back to what works.

OP
O

oh no droid

Reaction score
I'm used to a Palm WX700 with Windows OS. I can cut and paste anything on it. I could forward e-mail attachments. I could view large Excel and and multi-sheet workbooks. And I could view most .pdf files. Outlook for that phone was reasonably capable while the Droid's e-mail program is woefully inadequate.

Is there a good aftermarket app for e-mail?
for Excel spreadsheets?
for viewing .pdf files.

My searches of the Android Market turn up mostly games etc. Documents to Go was my only serious try so far and I just decided to gwet a refund after they responded that they could not support the ,pdf files that I need to view.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Give Touchdown a try....5 Day free trial.

John.Edwards

Reaction score
I have come to the conclusion that only windows Mobile can handle what you are asking - I was expecting these features as well when I got the DROID - it was definitely a mistake to expect it.

You can give TouchDown a try, it is a good program but it is not outlook. I think if you need to use Mobile Outlook, the only solution is to run Mobile Outlook. Check out the Touch Pro 2.

Personally, I am trying to move away from sending as much email - and keep the droid and hope the potential is realized.

JayMonster

Reaction score
DataViz seems to be having issues with Android and hasn't worked out all the bugs yet in this version of Documents To Go. Remember, the Windows Version has been around for quite some time and was just as slow and buggy initially.

In all fairness, you can't compare what you can view on a desktop with virtually unlimited space and a lot more memory available with what you can edit or view on a phone. That just doesn't compare, regardless of what phone you use.

I have found Touchdown for Exchange (btw, there is a new version out specifically for the Droid called Exchange for Droid 2.0 by the same developers) to be solid and far superior to the Stock Exchange support.

Office Document support is for sure at present an Achilles heel for this (and any Android) phone. Software to support that is going to take some time to mature. If that is what you need "right now" then this may not work out for you... but to be honest, I have never considered opening and editing a "large mission critical spreadsheet" on any of my phones (but I will give you credit for being able to work on a spreadsheet at all on the postage stamp size screen of the Palm... that is determination and concentration to a level I do not possess)

OP
O

oh no droid

Reaction score
I appreciate the info.

Excel... When I needed to retrieve a vital piece of data, I could load the workbook and find the info on my circa 2006 Palm Treo WX700. True, it is not practical to work on with a spreadsheet, but, I was able to find needed info. On the Droid the same 4.0 Mb spreadsheet...
Dataviz Sheet to Go = begins to load and then locks up the program
Office Suite = reports that there is not enough memory

Don't get me wrong, I love this phone and it seems so advanced in so many ways, BUT, backward in others.

SofaKing

Reaction score
yeah attachment handling is pretty weak. I recieved three attachments today, a small word file, a PDF file, and a voice mail. It managed to play the voice mail but the other two I was out-of-luck with. I did download a PDF viewer but there was no way to SAVE the attachment on the Droid. You can only OPEN an attachment, that's pretty weak. Even my old Storm 1 could deal with these.

darreno1

Reaction score
I have several concerns with Droid's e-mail capability:

1) Today and for the last few days, several times, the e-mail client hung in Loading Messages.... mode and nothing short of powering down would get it to stop. Today, I discovered that I missed e-mail for a few hours for this reason. And worse, after rebooting the Droid, I still could not retrieve the missing mail that my desktop could retrieve.

2) Not being able to create folders is a huge shortcoming.

3) Not being able to cut and paste from one e-mail to another is another huge shortcoming. I use e-mail templates to respond to clients quickly by copying and pasting and editing and on the Droid this is impossible to accomplish.

4) I purchased Documents To Go and still, after a software update, I can not view most .pdf files sent to me. Some are viewable. The unviewable ones are always viewable on my desktop pc.

5) A large business critical spreadsheet will not load into Documents To Go. It starts and then freezes. Dataviz support is useless as they blame the Droid for every problem.

Please, please, someone produce a reasonably capable e-mail program for this otherwise wonderful phone or I, and I suspect many others will have to sell it and go back to what works.

Many of your issues will be solved if you use Touchdown. It's an excellent app. To open PDFs I use quickoffice and never had a problem. I quickly searched the market and found several excel and other office document viewers. You may have to pay for the better ones but it's probably worth it for you.

My advice is to make use of the Market if you're not doing so. There are very few files my Droid can't handle. And I have the option of saving pretty much any attachment I want to.