Duplicate icons

rocketman45

Reaction score
On her home page my wife's Droid has duplicate icons for messaging and for settings. Does anyone know how one deletes duplicates?

J

JohnDroid

Put your finger on the icon and hold it steady for a couple of seconds, you should then see the icon "hover" under your finger. Drag it to the trash "grey" side bar that turns into a "trash can" icon.

OP
rocketman45

rocketman45

Reaction score
Actually, we tried that to no avail. When you drag the icon down to the trashcan both it and the icon light up red but when you take your finger away the icon just pops back into place. Perhaps it is because these - 'contacts' (not messaging as I stated before) and 'settings' - are not removable apps. Anyway, it's no big deal. She just moved the duplicates over to one of the side panels where I guess they'll remain. Its a mystery how they got duplicated in the first place. Thanks for your reply nonetheless.

OP
rocketman45

rocketman45

Reaction score
I stumbled across another post on the same subject which further described the technique for dragging the icon to the trashcan and after reading this find that it does indeed work. When dragging the icon to the tab both icon and tab will turn red and at that instant pull your finger away and the icon will be gone. See this post at: "Duplicate email and contact icons on home page". I'm not sure how I was doing it differently at first but being attentive to this little detail made it work for me.

Last edited:

jltung

Reaction score
uninstall apps

Several of the apps cannot be removed. I wish I could "hide" them in a folder.

Any apps that were downloaded can be removed with one of the "Quick Uninstall", "Quick Uninstaller" etc. I like using "Adv Task Manager" click uninstall and then select the apps that you want to remove.

You can also do this from SETTINGS, APPLICATIONS, Manage applications and then say goodbye to the apps.

I think dragging the icons to the "Trash" and having them light up red and disappear eliminates the shortcuts only.

Good luck

OP
rocketman45

rocketman45

Reaction score
Yes. That is my understanding. This only removes the shortcuts. Actual app removal requires other measures.