DTMF tones while making a call

OP
Robotics

Robotics

Reaction score
Sorry it's still a problem.

My tones seem loud enough for me and I update all apps, even those stock apps I don't use.

Don't know if that's useful information but I pass it on, fwiw.

Thanks Sally.
Maybe I will update all of the stuff I dont plan on using. Be great if it made the DTMF tones louder. But I have my doubts.

I do have a question or 2 more if you dont mind.

When I got this phone the Verizon store took out my SD card from my first phone and put it in this one.
Now when I hook the phone up to my pc or laptop, it shows to drives on the card. Like it was partitioned.
I have MOT E and MOT F now. It is also much harder to find files I am trying to locate. Lots of duplicate folders...like dcim and DCIM. The one in caps is empty,
the other has my pics in it.
It is very confusing.

What I would like to do is tell the phone to whipe out everything, including the SD card. (it has already been backed up with what I need)
Is it advisable to do this? I can't handle all these folders that are duplicates, and wouldnt be suprised if it caused a problem down the road.

Also, I called Verizon on this last week and they had me do a factory reset, trying to correct the no DTMF sound being heard (unless up to my ear) to work.
Of course it didnt work.

I noticed The factory reset isnt really a factory reset, since I still was up to date on the OS.
So my next question is, is there a way to whipe the phone back to the real factory settings? I want to try and get the update again, since it acted funny when I originally got the update.

Thanks for your time in this!

SallyC

Reaction score
Thanks Sally.
Maybe I will update all of the stuff I dont plan on using. Be great if it made the DTMF tones louder. But I have my doubts.

I do have a question or 2 more if you dont mind.

When I got this phone the Verizon store took out my SD card from my first phone and put it in this one.
Now when I hook the phone up to my pc or laptop, it shows to drives on the card. Like it was partitioned.
I have MOT E and MOT F now. It is also much harder to find files I am trying to locate. Lots of duplicate folders...like dcim and DCIM. The one in caps is empty,
the other has my pics in it.
It is very confusing.

What I would like to do is tell the phone to whipe out everything, including the SD card. (it has already been backed up with what I need)
Is it advisable to do this? I can't handle all these folders that are duplicates, and wouldnt be suprised if it caused a problem down the road.

Also, I called Verizon on this last week and they had me do a factory reset, trying to correct the no DTMF sound being heard (unless up to my ear) to work.
Of course it didnt work.

I noticed The factory reset isnt really a factory reset, since I still was up to date on the OS.
So my next question is, is there a way to whipe the phone back to the real factory settings? I want to try and get the update again, since it acted funny when I originally got the update.

Thanks for your time in this!

I don't know of a way, short of rooting, you can go to a pre-update OS. There are many more knowledgeable than I about that, but I think your reset is "real" which you can verify by seeing if your applications are wiped. So I don't think you have anything to gain by doing that.

As far as duplicate folder names on your internal and external memory, I have that too and mine was a brand new SIM card. I can't remember the names right now but I also show an internal and external drive for my phone.

Some apps will use your external memory but some won't so you'll have some of the same folder and directories. That doesn't hurt anything. Sometimes I delete the empty ones but they reappear, lol.

I doubt updating unused applications will make a difference with your tones either but since I don't know why they are soft and mine aren't, I won't rule anything out.

Edit : I forgot to mention, there's no reason you can't wipe your SD card if you want. That, with a factory reset would put you back to "go" if that's what you want.

Last edited:

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I know its nice to hear the DTMF tones but they only matter when on a call.

I would assume SallyC meant SDcard not sim card, but the 2 drives you see are the internal media area, and the external sdcard. So, you can copy all your pictures to the external dcim folder and go to the camera app and switch the folder to external, or copy all the pictures to the internal and delete the ones on the SD.

Sent from my XT862 using Tapatalk

OP
Robotics

Robotics

Reaction score
Thank you for all the info Sally. Guess I will leave it all alone. I have a trouble ticket in with Motorola at their lvl3 tier. I am supposed to hear back from them Tuesday next week. The guy on the phone used the same phone I have and he said he can hear the tones fine on his. I find this pretty strange since mine and now a fellow co worker don't hear the tones (unless already in a call).

Thanks again for your responses.

OP
Robotics

Robotics

Reaction score
I know its nice to hear the DTMF tones but they only matter when on a call.

I would assume SallyC meant SDcard not sim card, but the 2 drives you see are the internal media area, and the external sdcard. So, you can copy all your pictures to the external dcim folder and go to the camera app and switch the folder to external, or copy all the pictures to the internal and delete the ones on the SD.

Thanks for explaining why I'm seeing the 2 drives (partition).

I just want to get to the bottom of this DTMF thing. It works on some phones but not others...this just isn't right, and points to an issue somewhere.

Its like Samsung telling me, well yeah we have a mute option on that TV, but since it doesn't work on yours, you still can use the vol. down button.

I cant wait to hear what Motorola has to say since I have a lvl 3 tech/dev working on it. now.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
To be honest I'd go to a corp store and ask them to take a brand new Razr out and push some buttons. That would be fun. Make them all confused.

SallyC

Reaction score
I would assume SallyC meant SDcard not sim card, but the 2 drives you see are the internal media area, and the external sdcard

Yes, sorry for the confusion. Thanks for catching that.

OP
Robotics

Robotics

Reaction score
To be honest I'd go to a corp store and ask them to take a brand new Razr out and push some buttons. That would be fun. Make them all confused.

I like that idea and I think I will go ahead and do that. I have a few gift cards left to a restaurant near their store. Think I will go eat some good food, and do just as you suggested.;)

OP
Robotics

Robotics

Reaction score

Just to let you know, I went to the Verizon store, and sure enough I got three of them scratching their heads on this. They pulled out 2 phones from their stock, and both of them worked the way it should. DTMF tones weren't loud, but you could hear them without putting the phone to your ear.

They say its a first for them, and no one else has come in with this problem. Might add I have NO apps. on this phone except for the bloatware that came with it. I did this purposely so I could get to the bottom of not hearing the tones. And all concerned cant say it must be one of the apps you have installed.

Now that I know its a verizon/google/Motorola problem, I will go ahead and get the apps I would like to have.

They did offer to send a referbushed phone to replace my new one....but I told them I'm not that desperate to give up a new phone for a used one.

SallyC

Reaction score
Ha! Bet that was fun to watch!

I think I'd keep my Razr too, unless I had to hear the DTMF tones for some reason.

cowbboypete

Reaction score
I too am experiencing the same loss of DTMF tones. My phone had them, and just recently lost them. I can also not hear DTMF Tones when in a call. I too have checked my settings and have all the volume levels at max, and the box checked for dial tones. My wife also has a Droid razr, and she is experiencing the same problem. So there's 2 more with it!