Droix X and Corporare Exchange Contacts - Way Slow

ChadJ55

Reaction score
Hi all,

Got my Droid X the other day and am loving it, but having a little bit of trouble adjusting from my Blackberry. Typing on a touchscreen has never been my forte, but this phone is just so darn cool I will force myself to learn.

The one thing that will be very hard to adjust to, however, is how long it takes for the phone to fill in my email recipients when trying to use the corporate contacts through exchange. With my BB, I could just type the first few letters of the first and last name seperated by a space and within a few seconds, the full name would populate. Doing the same with my Droid X takes around 30 seconds and does not allow me to do anything while I wait. Eventually it finds the name, so i know it's hooked in right, but it is way too slow. When I try to look up names in the Corporate directory using the + option and going through the list, I select my exchange from the contacts list, but the corporate exchange list does not populate. It is, instead, a subset of my other contacts. I checked all settings I could find and verified that the corp. contacts are set to sync. Still tghough, when accessing contacts through the main Contacts option, and selecting my corporate

Any advice? Is there a better email client I should/could install? The bug with sype not allowing you to remove recipients is a PITA as well.

Thanks!

Barryvabeach

Reaction score
Have you gone into your email client from your desktop and checked the order in which it selects from the address book. IIRC, its under tools address book - options - but don't quote me, we did this a few weeks ago and it is still hazy , but I know we eventually found somewhere where it sets the order of address books it checks to find an address.

OP
C

ChadJ55

Reaction score
Well, I think I figured out one part of the issue.

1. The latency in pulling contacts in when typing the first few letters of the first and last name was significantly reduced when I was in an area with a stronger signal. I was tinkering in my office building, which is built like a fortress. Everywhere else I went this weekend, the names pulled in much quicker. Still, it's a poor design that you can't move onto entering the next contact/recipient, subject line or message until the first one has pulled in from the server. Would be better if it could sit there and think while I continued to compose the message.

2. I still can't figure out why it is showing some of my regular contacts as corporate/exchange contacts when I choose that selection in the contacts filter. And it does not show any contacts that are actually within my company. Is that a known bug? Will 2.2 have any positive effects on these two problems?

Barryvabeach, it sounds like you are describing instructions for changes on a Blackberry. I came from a Blackberry and am using the Droid X. I was just comparing the exchange contact look-up speed from my old 8330.

Thanks for any input you guys can offer!

Barryvabeach

Reaction score
Actually, I never had a blackberry, this is my first smart phone. We have had Outlook 2007 for a couple of years - but I still have trouble finding the contacts and how that is different from address book. When I send a message from the desktop - contacts is a totally different set of info than address book. Check this site Contact information does not appear in the address book in Outlook
In addition, the internal list of users does not show up in my Outlook contacts folder - so I had them entered manually.

OP
C

ChadJ55

Reaction score
Ok now I see what you're saying. I have not tried anything with Outlook synching. I am just synched to my corporate exchange. I am able to look up people, their email addresses and their phone numbers, but when I look in the phone for my corporate grouping of contacts, they are not there. I have no idea what criteria the phone is using to choose the contacts that actually are showing up there. Weird.

garath

Reaction score
Ok now I see what you're saying. I have not tried anything with Outlook synching. I am just synched to my corporate exchange. I am able to look up people, their email addresses and their phone numbers, but when I look in the phone for my corporate grouping of contacts, they are not there. I have no idea what criteria the phone is using to choose the contacts that actually are showing up there. Weird.

I haven't tried the feature yet but if you do the corporate search via the motorola widget, you can add contacts to your local address book. It's not a full solution to your issue but if you are emailing the same people over and over, it might be best to add them to your local address book for speed's sake.

CorporateUser

Reaction score
Droid pro contact synch issues - yes, way slow

Switched from Incredible to Droid Pro to get global phone. Straight corporate user - phone, email, occasional text. My conclusion so far is that the Incredible is the better business phone.
1) Contact synching - what is going on? Contacts only partially sync. I can't figure out why. I've turned off all the various contacts sources and limited it to Exchange, but I'm still only getting some of my contacts. The incredible synched 100% of contacts.
2) SLOW! Doing a lookup takes an age. Incredible must have done a local lookup. Droid Pro is pinging the Exchange server every time? What is that about? And not fully synching? Highly frustrating. No clear fix.
3) The keyboard may be useful for Blackberry veterans, but I can type twice as fast on the landscape soft keyboard on the incredible.

Technoman

Reaction score
My Droid X is LIGHTNING FAST in pulling contacts from our exchange server. I type a couple of letters, and POW>>.. there is a selection list started.

All of this is pulling from the cloud, as my actual Outlook address book is pretty small.