"Droids" and updates?

npro1464

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on their recent "Droid" experience. I haven't been keeping up, since I've been using a Galaxy S3 for the past two years. How have the updates been with Motorola's "Droid" phones? I'm talking about the Droid Razr Maxx HD or the Droid Maxx/Ultra. I'm looking at the Moto X (2014) or the Droid Turbo, but the lack of updates scares me away from the Turbo. I'm confident the X will get Android M, but not so much that the Turbo will. Does anyone think otherwise?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
What lack of updates? The Moto X and Droid Ultra / Maxx / Mini were some of the first phones to get KitKat. And Moto updated their almost 2 year old Droid HD / Maxx HD / M lineup to KitKat also. They have been pretty awesome at updates IMHO.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I believe that Moto has also publicly confirmed that the Moto X (gen 1) and Droid Maxx will get Android Lollipop. They may have had a bad reputation a few years ago about updates, but they have been "on the ball" for a year or so now with quick updates to a few different models.

OP
N

npro1464

Reaction score
This helps a lot. Thanks!! Traditionally, I've rooted my phones and flashed ROMs, but that was because the oem wasn't providing the updates. I grew out of it, now I just want my phone to work right.

Motorola seems like they care about their customers, although I worry what the handoff to Levono will hold.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
This helps a lot. Thanks!! Traditionally, I've rooted my phones and flashed ROMs, but that was because the oem wasn't providing the updates. I grew out of it, now I just want my phone to work right.

Motorola seems like they care about their customers, although I worry what the handoff to Levono will hold.

I think a lot of Moto phone owners and some potential buyers wonder the same thing. But if their track record of good customer service during the transition period between Google & Lenovo continues...we should continue to see quick updates, even on older phones. Let's hope that continues! :cool:

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Here is the thing about moto phones. As an owner you can register on official Motorola forums and sign up to soak test all the updates before anyone gets them. This give you an opportunity to get updates much earlier then rest of users and a lot sooner then other manufacturers as moto has been ahead of everyone else when it comes to timely updates.

I've been doing this since droid x 2010. It's fun!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Here is the thing about moto phones. As an owner you can register on official Motorola forums and sign up to soak test all the updates before anyone gets them. This give you an opportunity to get updates much earlier then rest of users and a lot sooner then other manufacturers as moto has been ahead of everyone else when it comes to timely updates.

I tried to register mine yesterday.. But i think all of the changes to Lenovo, slowed everything up.. It wouldn't recognize the phone serial number

TatDroid

Reaction score
Also keep in mind that not all Droid's are Motorola. Some of the older ones were by HTC and others. Recent Moto Droids have an outstanding update record.

Sent from my Droid Turbo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I tried to register mine yesterday.. But i think all of the changes to Lenovo, slowed everything up.. It wouldn't recognize the phone serial number
Some folks were saying the same thing recently on the Moto forum that there were some glitches registering new devices....I bet they will get it cleared up soon.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro

Excellent point! The Motorola Feedback Network (MFN) is a great way to register to test early updates for a lot of the newer Moto phones and help make sure they are ready to roll out to everyone. And...as @xeene said...it's kind of fun to receive an update early and get to know what it's all about.