Droid3 will not charge in my car

cgorak

Reaction score
I have the new Droid3 and it charges just fine in the house. It will not, however, charge in my car using the charger that connects to the cigarette lighter. I have tried several chargers with no luck. It shows the charging lightening bolt but does not charge. Is there any special charger that I need to purchase. The chargers that I have work just find with the Droid Pro in the same car. The car is a 2002 PT Cruiser.

Fr33dom

Reaction score
I never tried with any other "charger" than the official one, and it worked.One thing to note is that you don't want the phone doing anything else in order to charge it over the cig lighter. In other words, no navigation or music....

OP
C

cgorak

Reaction score
I do not have anything else running. One of the chargers I have is a Verizon charger and the other one I have said it could be used with Droid 3. Is there an "official" Droid 3 car charger that I should be using? Thanks!

Dallasguy7

Reaction score
are you sure the cigarette lighter is working?

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

darkmatter

Reaction score
There was a thread about off brand chargers. Some of them have a voltage/amperage that doesn't work so well with moto phones. Moto chargers seem to have a unique volt/amperage.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

OP
C

cgorak

Reaction score
My cigarette lighter is working fine - I can charge a Droid Pro from the car with no problem. I only have a problem with the Droid3. I have to believe it is because I need a stronger voltage/amperage as suggested in the above post. I will need to purchase a moto charger that says it is specifically for the Droid3 when I find one. Thanks you for the helpful info.

PuneE

Reaction score
Im having charging issues as well with two droid3's in the house. Sometimes it charges, sometimes it doesnt. All instances have seen charging issues.

1: Stock Wall Plug w Stock USB Cable.
2: Stock USB Cable connected to laptop.
3: Stock USB Cable connected to Seidio Wall Plug.

for the record, the problem is not isolated to the USB cable because I have 3 Moto/Vzw USB cables. 2 that came with the D3s & an old one from my D1. As mentioned earlier by others, the notif icon indicates charging but the battery capacity continues to drain (on standby). Then there are other times when i would have it plugged for only 10mins and suddenly the capacity jumps i.e. from 20% to 60%.

Im beginning to think this is going to be another common Moto Software (& hopefully not hardware) problem in D3s.

Last edited:

SecretAgentMan

Reaction score
I know what you are talking about. I can't charge my D3 using a cigarette lighter adapter on my 2011 Grand Cherokee. I'm guessing it's because the cigarette lighter receptacle doesn't put out sufficient amperage for the D3 charge. I tested several adapters and cables, including a Seidio which is rated sufficiently, with no luck. Other phones charge fine.

I wound up using the USB port in my console to solve the issue. It charges without a problem. (I also tried the USB port on my nav unit. It also worked, but put the radio in the USB mode ... NG.)

REMilk

Reaction score
I discovered that if I do not hear a 'click' when attaching the charging cable to the micro USB slot on the phone it does not charge. This has been true even when the cable is fully inserted.

Bob

jic3

Reaction score
hey all,

I seem to have the similar issue with the charger at home. It looks like some of you guys are correct on specific amperage to charge the d3. I used my offical D2 charger on my D3 and it doesnt charge..stays at 50 percent all day...maybe a ump to 60 percent after hours. But once I plug in my D3 charger..it charges up just fine in about an hour from 50 percent to 100 percent. Not the hunt to find another D3 specific charger for the car...

Snow02

Reaction score
Guys. Just look on the chargers. Voltage doesn't matter (they'll all be about 5V), current does. Make sure any non-stock chargers are providing at least the same current as the stock charger. For those that don't know, the current will be given in mA (milliamps).

xaelith

Reaction score
Another suggestion is to do a search here on the forums or using good ol' Google for the phrase "proper li-ion care". From what I understand, if a battery isn't charged properly, or cycled once in a while, the phone will say the battery voltage is the same or even discharging when the battery is actually charging as it should. On the other hand, if those having problems are already following proper li-ion battery care, it could just be a case of (bad) luck of the draw, meaning a bad battery.

Occasionally, my phone will try to tell me that the battery isn't charging when I've plugged it in, but every time so far, I've found the root cause to be user-error. I guess in my haste to get my baby some juice, I don't realize I didn't plug the cable in all the way, and find that pulling the plug and re-inserting it while making sure to push it in all the way fixes the issue.

Anyway, good luck :)

spunker88

Reaction score
I bought a Motorola branded charger from Amazon for only about $4. Its a bulk packaged one, meaning it just comes in a plain plastic bag, but the charger is genuine Motorola. It puts out 950mA so it charges quick and I haven't had an issue with it. But microUSB is standardized so any charger will work. Chargers that supply lower current (mA) will take longer to charge and chargers that supply more current won't break it. Too much voltage is dangerous but any USB charger should regulate the voltage to ~5v.

Heres a link if anybody wants one:
Amazon.com: Motorola Vehicle Power Adapter micro-USB Rapid Rate Charger: Cell Phones & Accessories

SuperShaw42

Reaction score
Im having charging issues as well with two droid3's in the house. Sometimes it charges, sometimes it doesnt. All instances have seen charging issues.

1: Stock Wall Plug w Stock USB Cable.
2: Stock USB Cable connected to laptop.
3: Stock USB Cable connected to Seidio Wall Plug.

for the record, the problem is not isolated to the USB cable because I have 3 Moto/Vzw USB cables. 2 that came with the D3s & an old one from my D1. As mentioned earlier by others, the notif icon indicates charging but the battery capacity continues to drain (on standby). Then there are other times when i would have it plugged for only 10mins and suddenly the capacity jumps i.e. from 20% to 60%.

Im beginning to think this is going to be another common Moto Software (& hopefully not hardware) problem in D3s.

Same thing here

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums