Droid2 Update to Gingerbread FAIL

JLo2478

Reaction score
dancedroidOn 9/2, I got a message on my droid2 for a system update (Gingerbread version 4.5.601.A955.Verizon.en.US). The new system updated and the phone restarted. Everything has been working real well until this past weekend. Within the last two days, this has gone from being awesome to awful.

Technical details:
System Version: 4.5.601.A955.Verizon.en.US
Model Number: DROID2
Android Version: 2.3.3

Allow me to illustrate how this update SUCKS for my phone.

1) The phone reboots now randomly more than it did before
2) ALL APPS and anything where you have to type FREEZES and Force-closes. Writing a text message has become painful, i get out 3 words before it freezes and I close the app and message saved in draft. To finish a message, i have to do this like 5 times. NOT COOL!
This is probably the biggest issue since I am paying for a smartphone with an exorbitant pay plan and right now the only thing I can do without errors or epic fails is make phone calls! NEED A FIX or a solution ASAP!

Any advice, tech support, reformat, etc to fix this asap is appreciated. If I did a factory reset, would I get froyo or gingerbread version though?

Please advise.
Thanks!
JLo

team973

Reaction score
sorry i cant help, but im having the exact same issue and i keep being told from verizon that its an issue with the phone....its not, because i didnt have this issue until i did the update. its really pissing me off that i cant text...ANYWHERE! facebook, aim, text, email, etc. cant get more than a word out before it freezes. i narrowed it down to the space bar...im able to type non stop but as soon as i put a space in, whichever app im on, freezes and force closes. i signed up to this site in order to get help, but i see no one has answered your question yet. i figure i put my situation on here too and see if maybe this gets the ball rolling.
cant really understand why it does this.....

NEED TECH HELP BAAAAAAAADDDD!

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sbf and reinstall the ota. You can also root it easily and put cm7 or other rom on there if you so choose.

My d2 is much, much smarter than me.

OP
J

JLo2478

Reaction score
sorry i cant help, but im having the exact same issue and i keep being told from verizon that its an issue with the phone....its not, because i didnt have this issue until i did the update. its really pissing me off that i cant text...ANYWHERE! facebook, aim, text, email, etc. cant get more than a word out before it freezes. i narrowed it down to the space bar...im able to type non stop but as soon as i put a space in, whichever app im on, freezes and force closes. i signed up to this site in order to get help, but i see no one has answered your question yet. i figure i put my situation on here too and see if maybe this gets the ball rolling.
cant really understand why it does this.....

NEED TECH HELP BAAAAAAAADDDD!

Hi- just to update my state of affairs. I didn't contact verizon or anyone else. I just reset the phone to factory settings in which it defaulted to the new system of gingerbread. Everything works great now!:D No issues. Knock on wood. When you reset, it will ask you if you want to delete items on SD card. Don't do it (unless you really want a brand new start) and back up all the stuff you want to save (pictures, docs, etc). BUT you may not have to. I sent all my docs and pics via email (wretched process!) and deleted the pics, videos i didnt "need to keep" only to find when I reformatted that my pics/videos that i left on the phone stayed which means that they live on the SD card, which means i was annoyed. :angry: But I;m happy that the reformat worked. Because I was about ready to throw my phone out the window and watch it crack into a million pieces. I'm SO glad I didn't do that. :)

Try doing a factory reset. It worked for me. Oh and don't forget then that you do, you, all the settings go back to default as well. The first night, in the middle of the night, my phone is screaming DROID, DROID, DROID and I couldn't figure out where it was coming from (later in the day, i saw it was the auto-notification from my gmail acct). This may seem weird that I'm sharing, but hearing that in the middle of the night, nearly had me jumping out of my skin, wouldn't wish that on anyone else! Let me know if it works for you. Good Luck! :)

OP
J

JLo2478

Reaction score
Sbf and reinstall the ota. You can also root it easily and put cm7 or other rom on there if you so choose.

Droid Sensei! We need help in layman terms! That was half the problem coming on here. Everyone is talking in this tech code that is not intuitive to non-mobile-tekkies. I'm pretty technical myself but more on the PC side of things and yeah, I could google what you mean, but then what's the point of this site? Anyways, on behalf of other people who don't know the lingo offhand, please define what SBF and OTA is and what does rooting mean? And CM7. Thanks :)

FullMetalGuitar412

Reaction score

(I will be replying to multiple people here)
first, to the people having problems:
I too am having the same problem. I LOVED my little Droid 2. was GREAT for me. then i had to reset it to factory settings one day way back in Android 2.2 (Froyo). then, my friend convinced me to root it. I went through some troubles, getting ticked off at root, and deleting things I shouldn't have. I ended up needed to sbf (sbf is a file that acts like an operating system for the phone. when you install an sbf (i used Ubuntu) it takes you back to when you first took the phone out of the box. factory resetting does not) because I deleted ONE bloatware (bloatware = name given to stock apps that people find useless and want to delete). so i SBFed back to 2.2.3.a955 froyo, then I was able to update to gingerbread (2.3). everything was wonderful! i loved it!! it worked for (I believe) somewhere around a month! and then, my keyboard stopped one day. my apps would close. i couldn't text on anything at all! i found that the stock "email" app kind of worked, but no texting, data sms( (text+, heywire, etc), or gmail worked (gmail is the worst. it literally wont time at all). so i factory reset it. the problem continued to come back. after all the problems I had before with 2.2, im SICK AND TIRED of resetting. wiping cache (information stored by phone). unfortunately, all of you that have this problem (because the jackoffs at motorola don't know how to make a rom according to someone I know) again, and will need to reset, again. and again. and again. and again. I suggest getting yourself Go! sms for backing up texts, and app monster (pro) for backing up apps.
if ANYONE has found a bug fix, or an unofficial (or official!) update to fix the crap that is our phones, PLEASE SHARE!!!

now for Idopa:
Ah, but see you can't just simply sbf back to froyo, or you will brick your phone (so ive read). the most these poor souls can do is sbf back to whatever update came to their phone. and i highly suggest NOT rooting, unless you are willing to suffer any problems that may arise OR you know exactly what you are doing. BUT, question: are you telling me that if I root and run a rom, I can fix this mess of a crap phone?

mx840

Reaction score
I thought it was only my D2.. I'm suffering from the same stupid crap. Reboots, freezing, and the keyboard thing. Until recently it started working again like it should. Hope you find a solution!