Advice? OTA Update Fails After OTA Gingerbread Completes

receptacle

Reaction score
*Embarrassed* SEE EDIT BELOW.
Gingerbread OTA was pushed to my Droid 2 this morning. I was running Squidly, so it didn't take. I restored back to stock, removed Droid 2 Bootstrapper, then retried and it was successfully updated to Android 2.3.2. Now System Update 4.5.601 won't complete. I never unrooted. That didn't seem to cause problems with the upgrade to 2.3.2. Do I need to unroot to apply this OTA update 4.5.601? I've tried twice (it's a 100+ MB download) and both have given failed message at the very end. I can boot and operate the device. I just can't apply this OTA update.

*EDIT*
Apparently I was looking at the wrong thing. The first update must not have actually been Gingerbread because the software version reads 2.3.20 but the Android Version reads 2.2. I guess the update that is failing is the actual Gingerbread update. My basic question still stands, however. If I've returned everything to stock except left it rooted, why is the OTA Gingerbread failing? Do I need to unroot for this?

Any help?

Last edited:
C

Communisum

*Embarrassed* SEE EDIT BELOW.
Gingerbread OTA was pushed to my Droid 2 this morning. I was running Squidly, so it didn't take. I restored back to stock, removed Droid 2 Bootstrapper, then retried and it was successfully updated to Android 2.3.2. Now System Update 4.5.601 won't complete. I never unrooted. That didn't seem to cause problems with the upgrade to 2.3.2. Do I need to unroot to apply this OTA update 4.5.601? I've tried twice (it's a 100+ MB download) and both have given failed message at the very end. I can boot and operate the device. I just can't apply this OTA update.

*EDIT*
Apparently I was looking at the wrong thing. The first update must not have actually been Gingerbread because the software version reads 2.3.20 but the Android Version reads 2.2. I guess the update that is failing is the actual Gingerbread update. My basic question still stands, however. If I've returned everything to stock except left it rooted, why is the OTA Gingerbread failing? Do I need to unroot for this?

Any help?

I would.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

OP
receptacle

receptacle

Reaction score
I would.

So before doing anything else, I tried to confirm my rooted status. The "Superuser Permissions" icon still appears (which is why I assumed I was still rooted), but in fact I can't do anything with root permissions. Uninstall is greyed out in Manage Apps and I'm not given choice to uninstall when I pull it up in the market. When I try to update Superuser Permissions in the market, it downloads, and tries to install, but then states the package was not signed correctly. So, my device appears to be rooted but has none of the functionality.

I tried the OTA Gingerbread update a third time and it failed again. I don't know what to do now. My phone has no data I care about on it at this point. Should I do a hard reset (power+vol_up)? I really wanted OTA Gingerbread, then wanted to root it if possible.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If you have messed with your Froyo install at all, you need to SBF.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I was rooted... and had to SBF, then download the OTA, then re-root. But my trusty Titanium Backup saved me from having to reinstall all the apps I had on my phone. It was pretty easy, but a little time consuming. Took a couple hours total.

OP
receptacle

receptacle

Reaction score
This is going from bad to worse. On my Droid 2 (A955) I went from a stable Froyo with Squidly, Droid 2 Bootstrapper, Superuser to the backup I did of stock Froyo. When Gingerbread OTA failed, I was told to SBF to stock Froyo. I used RSDLite 4.9 on XP, Motohelper driver, and VRZ_A955_2.3.20.SBF that is 241 MB. It failed the first time with some super-file error, leaving my phone stuck in bootloader stage. I had to pull the battery and was panicking. Out of desperation, I tried doing the SBF again. For some reason I got a PASS this time. Woohoo... or so I thought. At least my phone turns on and appears to function with stock Froyo SBF. When I go to System Updates to initiate Gingerbread OTA, it's greyed out. Then I notice my phone number is gone. I have no connectivity whatsoever... NOT EVEN phone.

I never read anything about SBF requiring reactivation. So I guess now I have no choice but to call Verizon and ask them to reactivate? I don't know what I'll tell them the reason is. Is this supposed to happen? If I get it reactivated, then what? Should it finally accept the Gingerbread OTA over the Froyo SBF?

My device is useless until this is fixed. Any help will be really appreciated.

Reaction score
It sounds like you may have a bad sbf file, you should try and download another one and make sure your rsd lite is up to date and flash again.

Sent from my DROID2

demiles

Reaction score
You have to reactivate your phone first. After sbf do a factory reset.

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Boot into stock recovery and do a factory reset. Reboot. Hopefully you'll at least have signal to dial out. Dial*228 option 1 to activate the phone (get 3g)

CM7GB-601

Last edited:
OP
receptacle

receptacle

Reaction score
"boot into stock recovery" -- is that the one where I hold the up arrow on the slider keyboard while powering on? If not, I don't know what that is or how to do it.

"factory reset" -- so many terms are used loosely in different places, again, I'm not exactly sure which one this is (how to do it).

The problem was solved by simple reactivation using *228 option 1 (actually I used *22899, the equivalent). I was under the impression that reactivation was some major ordeal. After I reactivated, I had connectivity, which enabled me to successfully receive Gingerbread OTA.

Bungus

Reaction score
Droid 2 Upgrade after root with Z4Root

I got my wife's droid 2 working after it had been rooted. When I had rooted it using Z4Root, I changed the apps that I didn't want running originally to .bak.

I used ES File Explorer to change all of the file extensions from .bak to .apk. You have to give ES File Explorer R/W access to start this.

After changing them back to .apk, I unrooted the phone using Z4Root.

After the reboot and unrooting the phone, I was able to get the update and install it... worked great.

-=EDIT=-

If you used Titanium Backup to freeze the apps you didn't want running after rooting, unfreeze them and then unroot your phone with Z4Root. This should also work.

Last edited:

Bungus

Reaction score
I did not have to do a factory reset, download anything special, or reactivate my phone. I just worked.

Bungus

Reaction score
I just tried it and you can use the DROID 3 Root to reroot your phone after the update.