Droid X2 2.3.4 update does not fix music stutter

litetaker

Reaction score
Well call me unlucky but here is my gripe.

I couldn't install 2.3.4 OTA (it kept failing) and so I ended up installing the leaked SBF. Then, I play some music. It seems to be an improvement. I didn't have stuttering when I opened the browser unlike before. But say when I open a game, or the app manager in settings, it stutters really badly.

Is this the fix? Or do other users experience 0% stutters even while opening such intensive apps as mine?

If it turns out that this issue is only with my phone and that other users on this forum are experiencing better performance then I give up and I shall return this phone and exchange for a new one.

Btw, is the 2.3.4 SBF exactly the same as the 2.3.4 OTA update?

Thanks for the help in advance.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
It's much better though. I had to load and reload 3 different web pages before it started to stutter. I was able to listen to music app, slacker, and Sirius and could go to the home screen and opened an email all without any drop outs or stutters. Fruit Ninja works and so does magic smoke live screen saver. I'm very happy with the update.
Does anyone know what else it does or has been improved?

relax

Reaction score
Try using option 9 on the supercharger script. I did that right off, and haven't experienced any stutters, but I would not know if it is a solution.

On another note, the OTA wouldn't work due to the fact that you most likely uninstalled something that is in system. Such as some of the bloatware.

billmcg

Reaction score
I have defiantly had a reproducible event on my phone, whenever i press the power button to wake the phone when music is playing it hesitates briefly.
But i have to say it is a marked improvement. Before, i wish skipps and pops were the only thing i had to deal with, mine was freezing and rebooting, like every 30 minutes, combined with the skips and pops made music nearly impossible.
I do have the occasional skip, is is quite brief, almost unnoticeable, and i have been nailing it with multitasking to get it to happen. I can easily use Navigation and listen to music at the same time with no problems at all.
but yea, every time i hit the power button to wake, it still skips...

/but i am not complaining...

OP
L

litetaker

Reaction score
I am not a 100% sure if the situation has improved since before. I can tell a few reproducible events that cause the music to stutter always.

Go to settings>applications>manage applications, while playing music. This submenu in settings loads the list of apps, which I believe is CPU intensive. This causes a load of music stutters... (Disappointed).

Launch the Market App> Causes a few stutters (Very disapointed).

Installing an app> Causes several successive stutters in music. :)()

Sometimes a little multitasking (may be 3 or 4 apps open) causes stutters.

Motorola had a great phone and they skimped on the memory and put only a measly 512 MB on this dual core phone. I don't know if all this stuttering is due to lack of memory but it gives the impression that it is the case...

I tried this with the stock Music app and with "PowerAmp" app from the store. In both cases I had stutters, with PowerAmp they were a little less severe. And I have Droid X2 on OTA 2.3.4.

So, looks like I have a far worse deal with Android 2.3.4 update than others on this thread. What do you guys suggest me to do to rectify this issue? Replace phone? Do something with rooting (I am currently unrooted on Stock)? Try my luck with doing a factory reset again (I already tried this a few times)?

-Regards.
(Droid X2 user, clearly troubled) :/

WookieClaws

Reaction score
I am not a 100% sure if the situation has improved since before. I can tell a few reproducible events that cause the music to stutter always.

Go to settings>applications>manage applications, while playing music. This submenu in settings loads the list of apps, which I believe is CPU intensive. This causes a load of music stutters... (Disappointed).

Launch the Market App> Causes a few stutters (Very disapointed).

Installing an app> Causes several successive stutters in music. :)()

Sometimes a little multitasking (may be 3 or 4 apps open) causes stutters.

Motorola had a great phone and they skimped on the memory and put only a measly 512 MB on this dual core phone. I don't know if all this stuttering is due to lack of memory but it gives the impression that it is the case...

I tried this with the stock Music app and with "PowerAmp" app from the store. In both cases I had stutters, with PowerAmp they were a little less severe. And I have Droid X2 on OTA 2.3.4.

So, looks like I have a far worse deal with Android 2.3.4 update than others on this thread. What do you guys suggest me to do to rectify this issue? Replace phone? Do something with rooting (I am currently unrooted on Stock)? Try my luck with doing a factory reset again (I already tried this a few times)?

-Regards.
(Droid X2 user, clearly troubled) :/

You have enough issue's that I would call VZW and get tech support to sort out your phone. We pay a lot of money for a working phone, so if it doesn't work then don't accept it. If you do what they ask, and still aren't happy (replacements etc), then start asking for an alternative phone. Again, lots of money spent so they should make it right.

I did some testing and I do have a slight skip when opening an app while music is playing. For my use I generally turn on some music and don't mess with my phone as I'm working, driving, or working out. So for me this isn't a huge deal.

OP
L

litetaker

Reaction score
You have enough issue's that I would call VZW and get tech support to sort out your phone. We pay a lot of money for a working phone, so if it doesn't work then don't accept it. If you do what they ask, and still aren't happy (replacements etc), then start asking for an alternative phone. Again, lots of money spent so they should make it right.

I did some testing and I do have a slight skip when opening an app while music is playing. For my use I generally turn on some music and don't mess with my phone as I'm working, driving, or working out. So for me this isn't a huge deal.
I will ask VZW for help. But in the meantime, I want to know if my phone is acting very odd or if the problems I am facing are something Droid X2 has in general. This is because, if many Droid X2's have these sort of issues (and again, my primary complaint is the music stutter and a little lag in the UI once in a while) then I don't expect to get this resolved by getting a new Droid X2 as it too may have such issues. So, I really would like to know if these sort of issues are common with Droid X2's.

Also, as a customer of VZW with warranty and some insurance plan on the phone, I would like to know what sort of things I am entitled to to get this issue rectified. That is, will VZW only give me a new Droid X2 phone or can I opt for a different phone if I am really unhappy with the situation with Droid X2's?

Thanks for the help.

WookieClaws

Reaction score
I'm not sure what your warranty/insurance entitles you to (I have the same thing though). I know that if a customer has enough issues they will often offer up a new model of comparable price, but they will want to exhaust all their replacement and troubleshooting options first.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums