Droid X wifi connection crashing home wifi network. help!

bluflax

Reaction score
This happened last week and at first I thought it was just a fluke. I changed from 3G to WiFi when I was at home and after a few minutes the wifi on my phone AND my home computer stopped working. 3G wasn't even registering and it took me some time to get my home wifi back up and running. It was not accepting my WEP code and had to disconnect and reconnect modem and router. Went to Verizon with my phone and after 2 hours and a hard reset they FINALLY got my 3G working again, with no explanation as to what happened.

Well, same thing happened today. After about half an hour of working on my Droid via home WiFi connection my computer AND my Droid X disconnected from my modem/router again. This time I was able to get the 3G back after pulling the battery to reset, but sheesh, is this going to be a regular occurrence?

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this? Should I just trade this sucker in for a new Droid X? Have only had it 2 1/2 weeks and this wifi problem is a PITA. I haven't tried it with other wifi networks except my home one, so am unsure if it would have the same connection issues on another network.

1barlog17

Reaction score
wifi problems!

Well i got my DX this wednesday and my wifi has never worked so i went to verizon yesterday and there was a customer next to me with the D2 having same problem then the two employees helping me checked there DX and store ones and none of the phones wifi were working called motorola and they said they were working on it so your not the only one. Hope that helps alittle

OP
bluflax

bluflax

Reaction score
Well i got my DX this wednesday and my wifi has never worked so i went to verizon yesterday and there was a customer next to me with the D2 having same problem then the two employees helping me checked there DX and store ones and none of the phones wifi were working called motorola and they said they were working on it so your not the only one. Hope that helps alittle

Well, that's promising...that motorola is working on it and can hopefully fix the problem. i have such a love hate relationship with this phone. so great when it's working for you but so frustrating when it's buggy and crashes. :(

1barlog17

Reaction score
I know i feel the same way. I gave my D1 to my sister to get this and the day i gave it to her it got the 2.2 update i've been waiting for forever. Now i have to wait for the DX to get it and my wifi and speaker on the phone aren't working right agh frustrating!!!

shockaholic

Reaction score
I had the same issue with both of my DX when I got them on launch day. After reading up on the Motorola forums, the solution that worked for me was:
1. I disabled the "N" band and just have B & G enabled.
2. Changed cipher from AES to TKIP.

Up until I made these changes, I was having to power cycle my router every 15 minutes to have internet access on any of my computers. Ever since I made the changes, I haven't had one single issue. I've read that this works for some people and not for others. Let's hope you have the same luck I did.

OP
bluflax

bluflax

Reaction score
Thank you. I found that information out today too after some Googling. I switched from N to G, but haven't figured out the AES to TKIP switch. More googling for that. I'll see how it runs on N tonight and am hoping that will help the problem. Unplugging your router every 15 minutes or so is no picnic.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Yeah changing the speed to G and changing security worked for me too so far. Blue not sure what kind of router you have but changing to TKIP should be under your wireless settings, maybe under security. Its where you choose your key to access to wireless.

ctxx24

Reaction score
If you have any other wireless devices connecting to the router there might be some conflicting IP issues. You can try to set "Enable Auto IP" and see if it improves. Found this on another forum and it worked great for me......thought i would share..