Droid X, wait til Froyo? New to this

MichaelW

Reaction score
I have been slowly educating myself on what I can expect out of a new smart phone and specifically a Droid. I have a basic no feature phone currently.

I am liking the new X because of the HD output and my ability to run PowerPoint presentations on the Droid and output to someones HD TV.

I have been also learning about 2.2 or Froyo, I guess it is called.

Now there is never a time when more speed is a bad thing so that has my interest already.

One of the other "features" of Froyo is the ability to not just WiFi but to tether to a laptop.

Some questions: So when 2.2 comes out,
Will Verizon allow tethering?
Will 2.2 be available for the X?
Can I just upgrade a 2.1 X to a 2.2 X, relatively easily?
Does this mean an X will run on 4g, whenever that gets launched?

Should I just get an X and continue using my air card? Or wait for 2.2?

I am just trying to not make a purchase now that I will regret in a couple of months.

TIA

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have been slowly educating myself on what I can expect out of a new smart phone and specifically a Droid. I have a basic no feature phone currently.

I am liking the new X because of the HD output and my ability to run PowerPoint presentations on the Droid and output to someones HD TV.

I have been also learning about 2.2 or Froyo, I guess it is called.

Now there is never a time when more speed is a bad thing so that has my interest already.

One of the other "features" of Froyo is the ability to not just WiFi but to tether to a laptop.

Some questions: So when 2.2 comes out,
Will Verizon allow tethering?
Will 2.2 be available for the X?
Can I just upgrade a 2.1 X to a 2.2 X, relatively easily?
Does this mean an X will run on 4g, whenever that gets launched?

Should I just get an X and continue using my air card? Or wait for 2.2?

I am just trying to not make a purchase now that I will regret in a couple of months.

TIA

We're not sure what Verizon is going to do about tethering at this point.
Yes, most definitely 2.2 will be available for the X, probably late August.
It will be done over the air. You just push the update button.
The X will not run on Verizon LTE when it is launched. That shouldn't make a difference in your decision, it's going to be a while before that system is completed. It's scheduled to start in either early 2011 (that's what I say) or November 2010 (rumor). In either case it will take a couple of years to complete the coverage. Your X will be a memory by then.

rjdenton13

Reaction score
tethering

How do you tether now with the x, i dont have the hot spot feature since i already pay for a 3g built in my netbook.

Uprangewilly

Reaction score
I assume you can tether by attaching the usb cable from your X to your PC and use either Pdanet or easytether for a wired connection. Im not sure about wifi tethering.
Has anyone used their X to tether yet? does it work the same as Droid 1?