Droid x vs Storm 2

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
No one will disagree a BB will do E-mail and messaging better than ANY other device.... but it falls behind in EVERY other category.

Battery pulls, running out of free mem, etc.... it's antiquated.

z06mike

Reaction score
Very nicely put!

I definitely agree that Droid X is MUCH better overall, but there are still things (like those above) that BB just does much better than everyone else, including Droid, Apple, etc. I really do miss those features from my BB that you are talking about, especially with the email. I loved to be able to select multiple emails with one click instead of having to manually check off every box.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Very nicely put!

I definitely agree that Droid X is MUCH better overall, but there are still things (like those above) that BB just does much better than everyone else, including Droid, Apple, etc. I really do miss those features from my BB that you are talking about, especially with the email. I loved to be able to select multiple emails with one click instead of having to manually check off every box.

That is such a simple request that I can't believe Google won't add it soon. I also hate that there is no "select all" option.

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wow that was long. I read part of it lol I will say that the X has a unified Messages box if I'm not mistaken that can include email, gmail, sms, mms, twitter, facebook, gtalk, etc, etc. At least I'm pretty damn sure it does.

Also, of course the BB has better battery life than your Incredible. The Inc isn't exactly known for its amazing battery, its kinda the opposite. The X on the other hand has been said to have excellent battery life. Plus, a lower resolution, slower cpu, less ram, less graphical device like a BB will always use less power. It's a trade-off kinda thing.

Reaction score
I have a storm one running on a Custom Rom, Its so much better then what VZW calls the "Official" OS.

But I cant wait till Thursday, If I were to find one of the hidden droidX's I would throw my storm in the ocean for the camera in a heart beat lol.

I got google sync running on my BB so once I log into google on the Dx all my contact will be there :) easy switch then its time to tinker with the phone all day!

Mark_Venture

Reaction score
No one will disagree a BB will do E-mail and messaging better than ANY other device.... but it falls behind in EVERY other category.
What about tasks, memos, contacts?

i.e. PIM/Email seems to be RIM's focus so they excel.

Inc still needs reboots, even though I power it off every night to have to fully charge its battery (HTC really needs to fix that bug). Often, the INC stops responding to links (i.e. click on a link of a Facebook email, it launches the web browser, but doesn't get to the page. Or click a link while browsing, it doesn't take you to the link.). I've had occasions where the camera stopped taking pictures until a power off/on.

I guess I've been lucky w/BB, because mine do not run out of memory, lock up, require battery pulls.

BB is antiquated because its pretty much the "same old thing." Yet it excels at what RIM's primary focus has been. (you said it about email).

Consumer's focus HAS and IS changing. Email/PIM is no longer the main focus for smart phones, and that is what RIM needs to deal with. And they need to do it at a faster rate than they are. They are certainly falling behind over the last couple of years.

Google/Android has only a little work to do to match the areas in which RIM excels.

The point of my post which seems to be lost is... Every one says that "Droids spank BB's" but they seem to leave out... that it depends on what your needs are.. If your needs revolve around Email/PIM, then RIM might be antiquated but it does the job better, if not as good as, Android and iPhone.

Need a browser, a device you can hack, and find a lot of free (ad supported) applications, with a fast CPU, High res screen, with a high MP camera (and remember, higher MP's doesn't always translate into better), then Android is one of the best options, and RIM is the worst.

Last edited:

z06mike

Reaction score
What about tasks, memos, contacts?

i.e. PIM/Email seems to be RIM's focus so they excel.

Inc still needs reboots, even though I power it off every night to have to fully charge its battery (HTC really needs to fix that bug). Often, the INC stops responding to links (i.e. click on a link of a Facebook email, it launches the web browser, but doesn't get to the page. Or click a link while browsing, it doesn't take you to the link.). I've had occasions where the camera stopped taking pictures until a power off/on.

I guess I've been lucky w/BB, because mine do not run out of memory, lock up, require battery pulls.

BB is antiquated because its pretty much the "same old thing." Yet it excels at what RIM's primary focus has been. (you said it about email).

Consumer's focus HAS and IS changing. Email/PIM is no longer the main focus for smart phones, and that is what RIM needs to deal with. And they need to do it at a faster rate than they are. They are certainly falling behind over the last couple of years.

Google/Android has only a little work to do to match the areas in which RIM excels.

The point of my post which seems to be lost is... Every one says that "Droids spank BB's" but they seem to leave out... that it depends on what your needs are.. If your needs revolve around Email/PIM, then RIM might be antiquated but it does the job better, if not as good as, Android and iPhone.

Need a browser, a device you can hack, and find a lot of free (ad supported) applications, with a fast CPU, High res screen, with a high MP camera (and remember, higher MP's doesn't always translate into better), then Android is one of the best options, and RIM is the worst.

I'm in the same boat with you. I had my Storm 2 running great with no problems.

I agree 100%.

Last edited:

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score

You must be unlucky and lucky all at the same time. I could go forever without rebooting my Droid. I only rebooted when I decided to mess with things (reboot into recovery for example) or when I needed to remove the sd card. Otherwise it will run forever. Even this crappy Eris never needs a reboot. I've never had either of these phones stop responding to links either. Same with the camera, never had it stop taking pictures.

As for BBs, both my Curve and my original Storm sucked when it came to memory, locking up, and battery pulls. Both required regular battery pulls to regain all the lost memory from all the leaks in the OS and apps. Otherwise it would run like ass after a while.

Mark_Venture

Reaction score
Wow that was long. I read part of it lol I will say that the X has a unified Messages box if I'm not mistaken that can include email, gmail, sms, mms, twitter, facebook, gtalk, etc, etc. At least I'm pretty damn sure it does.
It was my understanding that the unified message box on the X does not include Gmail accounts, but does include all others. (at least according to -> Motorola Droid X review | Android Central which says "Messaging: Kind of a universal inbox app that gives you access to messages other than gmail.")

Based on the review at -> Motorola DROID X MB810 Review - page2 (Phone Arena Reviews) The X wont sync your FB calendar either :icon_question:

Also, of course the BB has better battery life than your Incredible. The Inc isn't exactly known for its amazing battery, its kinda the opposite. The X on the other hand has been said to have excellent battery life. Plus, a lower resolution, slower cpu, less ram, less graphical device like a BB will always use less power. It's a trade-off kinda thing.
Well, these are supposed to be PHONES, right? what good is it if I can't make it through the day on a charge or have to keep finding a way to charge it thought out the day?

I can't wait to see the battery life on the X.. I hope its better. I'm looking forward to trying that software which is supposed to help manage the battery life...

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I never said a BB didn't have it's place.

IMO, in a consumer market (ie and end user who just wants a phones with features) BB can't contend.

But yes.... there are things that BB does VERY well, better than any device, including the iPhone. It just depends on what you need your device primarily for.

OP
N

ncridgerunner

Reaction score
About to make to switch

As the OP I believe I am ready to get rid of the Storm 2 and go with the DX. While in business the BB was a requirement and I agree that the email is excellent, however the many apps and faster internet access have won me over to the DX.
Thanks to all that replied.

WirelessAndy

Reaction score
I'm also a Storm 2 user looking to jump ship on launch day.

I actually had an iPhone 4 and quit that to return to the Blackberry only a mere 7 days ago. This was before I learned of the Droid X (yes I'm a latecomer). I had no idea the Blackberry-Gmail sync thing was still broken, and how divided I would be over the Storm 2's clicky screen.

Plus one really OCD naggy thing about the Storm: For some reason, my Storm 2's speaker "pops" before audio notifications. It's exactly like a poorly grounded subwoofer in a car going THUMP when you power it on or off. Really annoying to me.

I'm hoping the Droid X resolves my cramped touchscreen typing issues, Gmail sync and audio popping woes!