Droid X USB Mass Storage Mode issue

fecurtis

Reaction score
So I downloaded iSyncr on my phone and try to run it. Following the on screen instructions on iSyncr were incorrect, I was never asked to mount my mini SD card when prompted. So instead, I simply activated USB Mass Storage mode, once I did that, I could finally click on iSyncr.exe. However, after a few seconds, my computer thinks there's no mini SD card installed and the syncing to iTunes comes to a grinding halt. I can only sync maybe 3-5 songs if I'm lucky before this happens.

Upon unplugging the phone, my phone thinks there's no Mini SD card inserted (yes I know that when the computer is plugged in and in USB mass storage mode, I can't pull up anything from the mini SD card from the phone, only the computer). The only thing that resolves it is a battery pull.

Any suggestions? I've about had it with not being able to sync to iTunes, its incredibly annoying. I've also tried to unmount and format the SD card, I've practically given up, I've run out of ideas.

Last edited:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So I downloaded iSyncr on my phone and try to run it. Following the on screen instructions on iSyncr were incorrect, I was never asked to mount my mini SD card when prompted. So instead, I simply activated USB Mass Storage mode, once I did that, I could finally click on iSyncr.exe. However, after a few seconds, my computer thinks there's no mini SD card installed and the syncing to iTunes comes to a grinding halt. I can only sync maybe 3-5 songs if I'm lucky before this happens.

Upon unplugging the phone, my phone thinks there's no Mini SD card inserted (yes I know that when the computer is plugged in and in USB mass storage mode, I can't pull up anything from the mini SD card from the phone, only the computer). The only thing that resolves it is a battery pull.

Any suggestions? I've about had it with not being able to sync to iTunes, its incredibly annoying. I've also tried to unmount and format the SD card, I've practically given up, I've run out of ideas.

Everyone seems to be using Double Twist. You still will have to turn your phone on mass storage, I believe. I have the regular Droid so I'm not sure how the X works.

Motorola also has Media Manager. I have no idea how that works with iTunes. Double Twist worked pretty good on my Droid.

OP
F

fecurtis

Reaction score

Everyone seems to be using Double Twist. You still will have to turn your phone on mass storage, I believe. I have the regular Droid so I'm not sure how the X works.

Motorola also has Media Manager. I have no idea how that works with iTunes. Double Twist worked pretty good on my Droid.

I've tried all of them, Doubletwist is too slow and didn't even get most of my playlists.

Media Manager crashes my computer and in both instances, both the computer and phone will think there's no mini USB card, forcing me to do a battery pull.

I also have Windows 7 so I'm not sure if it's a faulty driver, if it is, I don't know how to uninstall or reinstall it. I just hope it's not the phone itself. At this point I just think there's nothing I can do.

No one else with a Droid X has run into this problem? I also suspect that it may just be the syncing software, most everything I've read says that when you plug in your phone, a window will pop up asking you if you want to mount your SD card (aka put it in mass storage mode), but on mine I have to pull down the notifications, click USB connected then select "USB Mass Storage", but who knows. If this has happened to anyone else with a Droid X, let me know.

Last edited:
OP
F

fecurtis

Reaction score
So I tried syncing my roommate's iTunes on his Windows XP computer and it worked without issue.

So I went back on my computer, deleted the drivers, rebooted, reinstalled, rebooted, tried syncing again to iTunes, no luck, same issue remains.

I'm guessing there's just no way to sync iTunes on a Windows 7 64 bit device.

This news is pretty crappy, I'm not even sure if I can keep this thing, I may just return it and go back to my old Blackberry.

Thanks anyway for the help.

KevinWP

Reaction score
I'm guessing there's just no way to sync iTunes on a Windows 7 64 bit device.

I'm using iSyncr with no problems on 64 bit Vista. While not Windows 7, it's in the same class of OS ......

ffej89

Reaction score
Fecurtis sorry to hear about your issues. Two things. I know this aint the best way of doing it but have you mounted your sd card directly to your computer and tried to pick and drop that way? I had to do it this way on my old centro for some reason without the phone being connected it worked. There is one other sync app i have used called Salling Media Sync. I hope you resolve your problem

OP
F

fecurtis

Reaction score
Fecurtis sorry to hear about your issues. Two things. I know this aint the best way of doing it but have you mounted your sd card directly to your computer and tried to pick and drop that way? I had to do it this way on my old centro for some reason without the phone being connected it worked. There is one other sync app i have used called Salling Media Sync. I hope you resolve your problem

I did find a workaround. I downloaded MusicBridge which syncs iTunes playlists to Windows Media Player. From there I can keep the Droid in PC Mode and sync to WMP. Worked like a charm.

Crisis averted. I really didn't want to have to take the phone back because it wouldn't get along with my computer.

ffej89

Reaction score
glad to hear it curtis. I'll have to make note of that because it seems like alot of people have this issue and i know Dtwist is not the answer for everyone.