Droid X sync with Outlook

Michlo

Reaction score
Originally Wallasey, UK now Los Angeles, CA
I'm trying MyPhoneExplorer which seems to be working so far. It is free on the Market (with 5 stars, BTW) and free from http://www.fjsoft.at for your desktop.

Cheers.

Edit - In fact, this is a VERY powerful application which allows us to do much more than USB or WiFi syncing with our Outlook. We can browse the 'phone completely too.

You are using MyPhoneExplorer to sync to Outlook on your pc? What app are you using on the DX to view/maintain your calendar, and where can the phone app be downloaded from? Are you syncing tasks, contacts, and memo's also?

Is anybody else using this app to sync to Outlook? If so, please give a quick review.

Thanks.

I'm using the stock calendar app at the moment and yes, it syncs via USB or WiFi with Outlook / MyPhoneExplorer. Yes, also syncing tasks, contacts, memo and mail.

As I said, you can download it from the Market.

I strongly suggest you take a look at it yourself, it is free after all.

charlesstrouss

Reaction score
a little cautious...

I'd be a little cautious about trying some random app that can modify my outlook data, without knowing a bit about the company making it. This would be a prime opportunity to plant a trojan.

Michlo

Reaction score
Originally Wallasey, UK now Los Angeles, CA
I'd be a little cautious about trying some random app that can modify my outlook data, without knowing a bit about the company making it. This would be a prime opportunity to plant a trojan.

True but it has been much reviewed on the official market, has 5 stars and I have Lookout installed to detect viruses.

Tis up to you but this IS a solution to the question here and I'm loving it.

charlesstrouss

Reaction score
I hope y'all will keep me posted here on how this or any other relevant app is working... I still haven't bought my new phone yet and there is still time to switch to a Droid.

Technoman

Reaction score
Okay, I just did some more research, and it appears that the Droid X (AND the Droid) both synch with Microsoft Exchange, so for any business users who use an exchange server (like my company) then you will have seamless synching without a third party app.

I'm pretty damned relieved now, and can't WAIT to get my phone!!!!!!!

Did you have to do anything on the phone to make this work? I get email but not contacts or calendar and my helpdesk is no help

Got my phone setup to work with our OWA server, and it syncs email, calendar, and contacts if I desire. I have rid myself of the calendar and contacts since I have a BB that the company provides. The email is so much better on my Droid. The MS office files open much better on my Droid than they ever have on my BB.

wmscottmc

Reaction score

True but it has been much reviewed on the official market, has 5 stars and I have Lookout installed to detect viruses.

Tis up to you but this IS a solution to the question here and I'm loving it.

I might be willing to give it a try, and I do hope it is a good as you say it is. However except for you, I have not heard of any other DX user on this forum using this app, and even the reviews on the market dont look very good for this app on the Droid X.

Anybody else using this app? How good is the calendar app on the phone? Is all data Outlook data sync'd with no problems, even for tasks, appts spanning multiple days, or recurring events?

Thanks........

charlesstrouss

Reaction score
What's an OWA server?

I'm a bit unclear... it sounds like you're not using outlook calendar and contacts at all then? Do you understand the difference between copying an address book in one direction and truly sync'ing them?

BlacknTan

Reaction score
Hookbills post in the beginning of this thread was shortsighted.

I work in the medical field. It is against the law to send client information (such as addresses and phone numbers) unencrypted over the internet. Google refuses to certify their premium apps service as compliant with federal laws that control the privacy of health information. So storing information on their servers is also against the law.

Gmail calendar is completely off-limits not only for me, but for anybody that works in the medical field. It is ridiculous that this phone can not do what my palm treo was able to easily do.... sync with outlook over a usb cable.

As much as I love android, I am probably not going to purchase another android phone until google rectifies this problem.

neevacandida

Reaction score
OWA Syncing

Okay, I just did some more research, and it appears that the Droid X (AND the Droid) both synch with Microsoft Exchange, so for any business users who use an exchange server (like my company) then you will have seamless synching without a third party app.

I'm pretty damned relieved now, and can't WAIT to get my phone!!!!!!!

Did you have to do anything on the phone to make this work? I get email but not contacts or calendar and my helpdesk is no help

Got my phone setup to work with our OWA server, and it syncs email, calendar, and contacts if I desire. I have rid myself of the calendar and contacts since I have a BB that the company provides. The email is so much better on my Droid. The MS office files open much better on my Droid than they ever have on my BB.

When I first bought my Droid X I used the OWA server as well. Worked great for over a month. Email, contacts and calendar all synced wonderfully. However, over the last two weeks it has just stopped.

I just installed Touchdown. It has worked for the first day at least. I'll try to remember to let you know how things go.

~Neeva

Technoman

Reaction score

When I first bought my Droid X I used the OWA server as well. Worked great for over a month. Email, contacts and calendar all synced wonderfully. However, over the last two weeks it has just stopped.

I just installed Touchdown. It has worked for the first day at least. I'll try to remember to let you know how things go.

~Neeva

OWA Server sync is still going strong.... I added the calendar and contacts back so that I can send an email easier. Also, with the lookup function on the corporate address list, it is faster than it is on my Blackberry. Love that when I delete an email from my Droid or my Outlook on the PC it goes away on both. Blackberry does not work this way since it is a dedicated BES server.

brad460

Reaction score
Why I want to buy a Droid, but wont

This is a good discussion. I keep seeing people that criticize some users because they won't give up outlook, and go to google. First of all, I don't like a web based ap like that where I have to log in each time I want to look at a calendar, send an email, etc. Unless I misunderstand how it works.

In addition, I want to keep my current email address through my ISP, which will work in outlook, but I don't think it'll work in other email clients. Plus, when I click on the outlook icon on my PC, it just opens.

I'm sick of having to open something with another username and password. Google is missing a ton of market here because they want to be in control. They should learn from Apple. Holding your customers hostage, even if your product can be better doesn't get you market share.

rickcast66

Reaction score
Has anyone seen thais

Just got my X last week and would like to sync Outlook as well. Been doing research for the easiest way, or should a say the least difficult way.

I came across MyPhoneExplorer by FJ Software Development

I see it was mentioned a few pages earlier. I'd still like to see some more reviews on it before diving in. Anyone else have an opinion on it. and was wondering if anyone else has seen it and what they think.

Another thought would be why doesn't Google just create their own desktop application similar to Outlook?

Last edited:

Technoman

Reaction score
This is a good discussion. I keep seeing people that criticize some users because they won't give up outlook, and go to google. First of all, I don't like a web based ap like that where I have to log in each time I want to look at a calendar, send an email, etc. Unless I misunderstand how it works.

In addition, I want to keep my current email address through my ISP, which will work in outlook, but I don't think it'll work in other email clients. Plus, when I click on the outlook icon on my PC, it just opens.

I'm sick of having to open something with another username and password. Google is missing a ton of market here because they want to be in control. They should learn from Apple. Holding your customers hostage, even if your product can be better doesn't get you market share.

Brad, I think you are confused as to what the discussion is about.
If you have an ISP, you should be able to link to that account directly with a Droid X without using the Google/Outlook connection.

What people are discussing here is corporate email and syncing their Outlook from a PC to the Droid X via a cable or wireless.

The reason most are wanting to do this, is because they can't or don't have a way to link the Droid directly to the corporate server.

What ISP do you use? I could probably find the settings to connect directly to your account via a Droid phone.

questech

Reaction score
All we want to do is hook a USB cable between our Droid and a PC and sync our calendar and contacts, tasks, and some of us want to sync the e-mail as well.

We don't want to have to use an enterprise system or exchange server either, just a plain old PC with Outlook and a USB cable connected to the Droid.

wmscottmc

Reaction score
All we want to do is hook a USB cable between our Droid and a PC and sync our calendar and contacts, tasks, and some of us want to sync the e-mail as well.

We don't want to have to use an enterprise system or exchange server either, just a plain old PC with Outlook and a USB cable connected to the Droid.

I agree with questech. 6 months with this phone and I still have not found an easy way to do this. I know there are several apps that attempt to do this, but none have worked for me for various reasons. I have moved all of my PIM data to google, but would rather use and sync to Outlook.