Droid X Speaker Volume

IDGBZ71

Reaction score
My droid 1 was so loud the speaker would crack an distort with it cranked up all the way, I just got my X couple of days ago and its loud enough for me for calls I can hear ppl just fine with windows down in my truck. With it cranked all the way it its not as loud as droid 1 but also doesn't distort.

ggaabe

Reaction score
I have missed every incoming call on this new phone other than when I actually had the phone in my hand or on a table near me.... I just unchecked the box for notification volume and actually heard the phone ring loud and clear!!! So hopefully this will solve my problem. So far it has really been my only issue with the phone, other than a learning curve for me! Thanks for posting that!!!

Somebody posted this on the vzw forum so maybe that's all you need to do to fix it?

dukelx2005

Reaction score
Well i hope this update comes soon because my 1st droid had no volume issue but this phone i always missing calls and the alarm you are unable to hear it So i hope this update happens soon

NJDroidX

Reaction score
Spoke with Verizon Tech Support

I spoke with Verizon Tech Support earlier and they stated that this is a known issue. It is currently being "reviewed" to figure out a fix and will be sent out in the "2nd Maintenance Release" for Droid X.

They did not know when the 2nd Maintenance Release would be issued and did not know any additional details for a fix to the problem.

At least they are looking into.

_scooby_

Reaction score
I spoke with Verizon Tech Support earlier and they stated that this is a known issue. It is currently being "reviewed" to figure out a fix and will be sent out in the "2nd Maintenance Release" for Droid X.

They did not know when the 2nd Maintenance Release would be issued and did not know any additional details for a fix to the problem.

At least they are looking into.
Verizon is going to tell you anything to shut you up.

abstrakmind

Reaction score
Wow...here I am clowning on the iPhone 4 with the whole antenna problem. I was so eager to get my Droid X, which is an upgrade from my original Droid....but damn! this is a piece of crap! Well...not that bad. There are some cool features, but there are just too many annoyances with this phone.

1. The speaker is absolutely horrible. No..it's not slightly low...it's horribly low. I used to have to lower my GPS navigation volume on the original Droid because it was so loud. With the Droid X, the volume is max and I could barely make out what it was saying. I had to constantly look at the screen while driving.

2. While the original Droid is fully charged within an hour, the The Droid X can only go up by 20%. I think we all know the problem with plugging this device to a car charger while navigation is on.

3. I really don't like the warm feeling in my pant through the contact of the phone after 10-15 minutes of web browsing.

I love everything Android...and really like all the new features of the Droid X. However, these 3 flaws alone are enough to warrant my wait for the next Android device. This is going back to Verizon for sure. Hope the Droid 2 isn't going to be like this.

CBCstillmatic

Reaction score
The low speaker volume is my only complaint with my X really. Any other minor gripes I have I am sure can and will be fixed in an update. For example no emoticons and just showing the symbols instead. Not that big a deal and can even be fixed by downloading an app. A lot of the other complaints I read about all seam like they can easily be fixed with an update or by an app. Now whether moto actually does fix things through an update is a different story. My X charges very fast when plugged into a wall outlet but with my car charger it takes an hour just to go up 10-15% but I thought it was the 3rd party charger I was using.

Being such a new phone and this new interface that isn't supposed to be motoblur I don't see some bugs as that huge an issue. I really feel(and hope) that when Froyo is release and with an update or 2 the X really could be the best Android phone out there for awhile. Really sad they left out a front facing camera it really the only feature missing(but not that big a deal to me anyway).

Funny thing about the speaker is that it doesn't sound stressed at all. The last 3 notches in the volume doesn't continue to turn up the volume. It is a little low on speakerphone calls but sometimes ridiculously loud on some games and apps. This all would tell me it is a software limitation and not a hardware one. Let's just hope that it can and will be fixed in an update.

bigd73

Reaction score
See my comments in bold below.

Wow...here I am clowning on the iPhone 4 with the whole antenna problem. I was so eager to get my Droid X, which is an upgrade from my original Droid....but damn! this is a piece of crap! Well...not that bad. There are some cool features, but there are just too many annoyances with this phone.

1. The speaker is absolutely horrible. No..it's not slightly low...it's horribly low. I used to have to lower my GPS navigation volume on the original Droid because it was so loud. With the Droid X, the volume is max and I could barely make out what it was saying. I had to constantly look at the screen while driving.
The external speaker issue has been noted by a lot of users and I'm almost positive it can be fixed in a software update.

2. While the original Droid is fully charged within an hour, the The Droid X can only go up by 20%. I think we all know the problem with plugging this device to a car charger while navigation is on.
Are you using the DROID X charger to charge your phone? My DROID X will charge up to 70% in an a hour when completely dead and turned off.

3. I really don't like the warm feeling in my pant through the contact of the phone after 10-15 minutes of web browsing.
On the Droid, the sliding keyboard was the buffer between you and the cpu/transmitter portion of the phone. That's probably why you didn't notice the phone heating up.

I love everything Android...and really like all the new features of the Droid X. However, these 3 flaws alone are enough to warrant my wait for the next Android device. This is going back to Verizon for sure. Hope the Droid 2 isn't going to be like this.

nfj79

Reaction score
I haven't been having any speaker problems like everyone else has. The sound on my X is loud and clear. Just a few minutes ago, I was watching a vid on YouTube, and I couldn't hear anything. Check my volume and it was crank all the way up. All of a sudden I get the sound bug on my X. I shut it down, and reboot. Now my volume works just fine. Could this be the beginning of my sound going out?

mark729

Reaction score
if you had a droid before using dx, you will notice how low the dx volume is. its so hard to hear whatever from speaker and in call volume.

Horch it

Reaction score
I truly believe motorola decided ear buds is the new listening output for the x....and increasing the volume with software will only result in speaker distortion.

dalemccl

Reaction score
I haven't been having any speaker problems like everyone else has. The sound on my X is loud and clear. Just a few minutes ago, I was watching a vid on YouTube, and I couldn't hear anything. Check my volume and it was crank all the way up. All of a sudden I get the sound bug on my X. I shut it down, and reboot. Now my volume works just fine. Could this be the beginning of my sound going out?

Did you try putting the speaker next to your ear? It may be that the speaker was working (not properly of course) but the volume was extremely low so you could not hear it unless you placed the speaker on your ear. In the 10 days I have had the X, three times the speaker volume has gone so low that I could only hear it by placing the speaker up to my ear. When holding it in my hand I heard no sound at all. The volume settings were all at max.

The first time it happened I used the YouTube app to watch a video and could only hear it by putting the speaker to my ear. (I tried several videos in case the problem was poor audio in the video.) I connected headphones to see if the headphone volume was normal. It was. When I pulled the headphones out of the jack, the speaker returned to normal volume.

It may just be coincidence that you too were using Youtube. The other two times the problem has occurred for me, I am not sure what sequence of events triggered it. In both cases, rebooting restored the speaker volume to normal.

nwlake

Reaction score
I've had my X for almost a week, and the earpiece speaker is much better than on the Incredible, which I was forced to return because it was so garbled. But I am missing incoming calls due to the low volume on the external (ringer) speaker. Two different issues; sometimes it 's hard to know which one posters are referring to. Oddly, the notification sound for messages is much louder, and I usually catch that one. I sure hope it can be fixed with software update as some contributors seem to think.

Over50Droid

Reaction score
Volume

I received my Droid X on Thursday and I think the sound is fine. I don't see a significant difference in volume between the 3 different versions of the Droids I currently own. (Droid, Incredible, Droid X)

lanolar

Reaction score
I received my Droid X on Thursday and I think the sound is fine. I don't see a significant difference in volume between the 3 different versions of the Droids I currently own. (Droid, Incredible, Droid X)

And my Droid X is less than half the volume of my old Droid. There is no comparison between the two as far as external volume.