Droid X Screen Black / Unresponsive on Activation Call

inanutshellus

Reaction score
[SOLVED] Droid X Screen Black / Unresponsive on Activation Call

I have a Droid X that I just repaired. When I initially started it up, I bypassed the Activation process. Now that I want to activate the phone, I can't seem to! When the call starts the screen goes black and since the Activation process requires key input ("press 1 for..."), I can't activate the phone.

I presume I screwed something up in the repair process but can't imagine what. Everything seems to work. The internet (via wifi), speakers (ear and rear), camera, accelerometer, digitizer, LCD, the four physical buttons, the power button... All good. What could be wrong with it? What component, if not the accelerometer, determines the screen-wake-during-call feature?

I found an old post about this but no resolution was posted there. :-/

Last edited:

Savagerun

Reaction score
Dial *22899 instead of *228. That will automatically activate without having to press option 1

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
I

inanutshellus

Reaction score
As an update, I used the website to put the phone on my account, then used Savagerun's suggestion to actually activate it, but unfortunately it still behaves the same way on normal phone calls.

Crap.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Is the LCD turning off when you put the phone up to your ear or as soon as you make the call?

Savagerun

Reaction score
As an update, I used the website to put the phone on my account, then used Savagerun's suggestion to actually activate it, but unfortunately it still behaves the same way on normal phone calls.

Crap.

Just curious have you tried to download a dialer app from the playstore to see if it does the same thing?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
I

inanutshellus

Reaction score
Ah hah! Droidforums saves the day again. Apparently someone with a Droid 3 had the same problem and said there's a proximity sensor (that I was previously ignorant of) and it won't work without a rubber seal covering it.

In my case, I'd just bought a new MID X Frame (the metal perforated ooey gooey center of the Droid X) and when it didn't come with the seal, I didn't notice.

Here's a pic, with the top MID X Frame being the correct one, the bottom being børken.

View attachment 54279