Droid X overheating when using GPS

woodbutcher66

Reaction score
I have searched the forums and can not find anything related to this. Please forgive me and point me at the correct post if there is one.

I am running a bone stock, non-rooted Droid X, Android version 2.3.3,
Recently I notice my Droid X gets very warm when using the GPS/Navigation function. When I remove it from the car dock it feels warm to the touch. I assumed this is because the cradle and phone were in the window of the card and the sun was heating it up. But yesterday I used the phone in GPS mode without the car cradle in someone else’s car. The outside temperature was over 90 degrees. I started the Navigation app and entered the address. Then I held the phone in the window to allow it to locate GPS. Within a minute the phone displayed an over temperature warning. I don’t remember the exact wording. This is the only time it has done this. I moved the phone to a vent and let the AC blow on it and the warning went away. But the phone continued to feel warm but I didn’t get any more warnings. At no other time does my phone heat up.
Has anyone else had this problem? What could be causing this? What can I do to stop it?
TIA

pool_shark

Reaction score
Smartphones get hot when in use. Mine is overclocked and I get a warning from the overclock app whenever it gets above 111°. I've never had the OS alone alert me to over heating though.

Rsmin

Reaction score
It is somewhat normal for it to get warm when using gps. Instead of a warning, mine would quit charging the battery when it was in the car cradle. I started looking in the forums as well and saw others were having the same issues. I was able to point an air conditioning vent at it while it was in the cradle in the window and I don't have the problem anymore. I have been on long trips using the gps with this setup and it works great. It still amazes me that so much technology can be crammed in such a small piece of electronics.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums