X going to replace portable GPS?

Reaction score
Hey guys, 1st post. Ok, I do a lot of driving for work. So naturally I have a GPS (and V1 radar detector). I have a 4.3" TomTom I got in late '08. I've had my X for about 1 week now. I didn't buy any accessories b/c I wasn't sure how I was going to use it just yet. But has anyone actually made the big leap and sold their portable GPS and bought some sort of windshield mount for their X? Naturally I'll need a car charger, which is the same one from my BB9630 I just came from. But How reliable and accurate is this thing? I've mapped a few locations and it's spot on. I would LOVE to carry one less portable electronic device from car to car.

My next issue is if I am going to make this my GPS, what kind case/holster do I get. I've been searching and seen belt clips for the phone naked, with a skin and with a real rugged skin. None of these skins will allow the use of a Windshield mount (verizon/Motorola). I like the idea of some kind of skin for fall impact protection. I like carrying my phones on my belt clip or pocket. But I'll need some kind of universal windshield mount.

Then I have connectivity. Both my personal and company car have standard 3.5mm Aux input jacks. No bluetooth. My thoughts are I need some kind of Bluetooth device that runs on 12V power and plugs into the Aux. This would allow me to play my music and listen to GPS directions and have speaker phone in the car correct? What modes/units are available for this function?

Last but not least I think I am still interested in a Blutooth earpiece. Shopping in the store, or if I don't feel like hooking up the whole blutooth broadcast gimic.

Opinions?

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, 1st post. Ok, I do a lot of driving for work. So naturally I have a GPS (and V1 radar detector). I have a 4.3" TomTom I got in late '08. I've had my X for about 1 week now. I didn't buy any accessories b/c I wasn't sure how I was going to use it just yet. But has anyone actually made the big leap and sold their portable GPS and bought some sort of windshield mount for their X? Naturally I'll need a car charger, which is the same one from my BB9630 I just came from. But How reliable and accurate is this thing? I've mapped a few locations and it's spot on. I would LOVE to carry one less portable electronic device from car to car.

It's just as accurate as any other Garmin or TomTom I've used - Moreso, because your maps are updated when Googles maps are updated. Just remember, if you lose cell signal, you lose maps.

My next issue is if I am going to make this my GPS, what kind case/holster do I get. I've been searching and seen belt clips for the phone naked, with a skin and with a real rugged skin. None of these skins will allow the use of a Windshield mount (verizon/Motorola). I like the idea of some kind of skin for fall impact protection. I like carrying my phones on my belt clip or pocket. But I'll need some kind of universal windshield mount.

There are a ton of threads on this one -- someone somewhere has a link or input -- I cant help you on this one.

Then I have connectivity. Both my personal and company car have standard 3.5mm Aux input jacks. No bluetooth. My thoughts are I need some kind of Bluetooth device that runs on 12V power and plugs into the Aux. This would allow me to play my music and listen to GPS directions and have speaker phone in the car correct? What modes/units are available for this function?

I love my BlueAnt S4 speakerbox. It's not so great for music, but it works great for a hands-free device. It charges using the same jack the phone uses.

Last but not least I think I am still interested in a Blutooth earpiece. Shopping in the store, or if I don't feel like hooking up the whole blutooth broadcast gimic.

Not quite sure what you're talking about here, but there are a billion BT options available to you -- you need to know what you want.

Opinions?

Answers in red.

OP
H
Reaction score
Wow.... so if I'm out in BFE with no cell signal the GPS quits working? That's not going to work at all. I thought it used GPS & Cell towers.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wow.... so if I'm out in BFE with no cell signal the GPS quits working? That's not going to work at all. I thought it used GPS & Cell towers.

The maps arent stored on your phone without some hacks (at least not if you're using the Google service), so if you lose cell service, you lose the ability to download your map or re-route.

GPS still works, but the app has no way of tying your Lat/Long to a position on a map, because it doesnt have the map.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The next g maps update will have a way to cache maps and routes to your sd iirc

tappin and a talkin

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
The next g maps update will have a way to cache maps and routes to your sd iirc

tappin and a talkin

Yeah, and there's a hack for it, and there are 3rd party options. It depends on what the OP wants.

OP
H
Reaction score
I want reliable, accurate Garmin/TomTom type GPS navigation for driving ANYWHERE in the US.

Technoman

Reaction score
Actually, if you want to pay for a 3rd party solution, you can have the exact same solution you have with you Garmin.

For BT solutions (both earpiece and speakerphone) I really like my Blueant products.

I have the Motorola X Car Dock. and it works well. Only issue is that you have to remove any cases in order for it to fit in the dock.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
10-4. What kind of software do I need to buy?

You'll need a piece of software that stores the maps on your SD card, rather than downloads them on the fly. I think Navigon does this.... Others have more experience than I.

evltwn72

Reaction score

Opinions?

I just upgraded to the X on the 1st, and I got the car mount for the X. You can apply it to either the dashboard or the windshield. Also comes with a cable that lets you connect the phone to an auxiliary port to play your music in the car.
When you bought your X, did they offer to bundle any accessories for you? I have a Magellan GPS, and it never gets used ever since I bought the OG Droid last year. The Google Nav is really spot on. IMHO.

compchick813

Reaction score
Do you have the extended battery? I do and I couldn't find a case to fit in the car dock b/c of the extended battery, so I got a Zagg skin. There are cases that will fit if you don't have the extended battery. I really love the car dock, and the google navigation has totally replaced my Tom Tom. One of the things that used to annoy me the most about my tom tom was that it would constantly fall off of the windshield - I've had the car dock for months and it hasn't fallen off once.

Reaction score
I want reliable, accurate Garmin/TomTom type GPS navigation for driving ANYWHERE in the US.

I thought I would be able to do the same thing - Stock, the phone isn't quite able to pull this off. I bought the car mount and use my phone exactly the way you describe. When I lose data and the map won't update (it's hard to explain exactly what happens you will have to see it first) then I just pop out my Garmin if I need it.

Depends on how often you are out of Verizon coverage area.

Keep your GPS device -