Droid-X is doing strange things

artmanphoto

Reaction score
Hello everyone - I apologize for this long post.

I am using a non rooted Verizon DroidX running Android 2.3.3 and System Version 4.5.602.

I will have the phone one year Sept. 24th so it is less than one year old. I am on my 3rd DroidX courtesy of Verizon's warranty program.

The current phone is about 3 months old and was running well - no freeze ups, lock ups, etc. until a few weeks ago. I don't actually know if the problems started after or before 2.3.3 was downloaded and installed.

These are the problems I am now having as of 2 weeks ago:

1) The phone freezes and locks up. Pushing the buttons or trying to power it OFF has no effect. I have to do a battery pull.
2) I will be using the phone and it just goes crazy - apps open and close by themselves without me touching anything. I have to do a battery pull to make it stop.
3) When I turn the phone OFF, sometimes, not all the time the phone turns itself back ON by itself.
4) The phone's performance is extremely sluggish - it's like the processor is off doing something else. I am using Go Launcher EX.

I am using Watchdog Lite to monitor mis-behaving apps and there are no indications of bad apps. I am using Lookout to scan my apps for anti-virus and I am sure that the phone is clean. I only install apps from the Android market and I only have 34 downloaded and installed which I don't think is excessive.

I really like the DroidX when it works good, and I expect any phone that I buy to work good with no problems.

I am eligible for a new contract renewal and a new phone in May of 2012. With the above said, Verizon tech support will give me a $92 credit toward any new 3G Android phone (not the iPhone) and will let me renew for 2 more years now instead of waiting until May of next year. I'm really getting tired of fighting the Droid-X issues I am having.

If I take Verizon up on their offer I am trying to convince myself NOT to get the DroidX 2 due to all of the issues with the Droid X. I am considering the HTC Incredible 2 as my wife has this phone and I really like it, plus it has very good reviews.

I am also trying to convince myself to bit the bullet and keep the DroidX with or without the problems that come and go and wait until May of next year so I can renew my 2 year Verizon contract with no restrictions and buy the iPhone.

I would really appreciate any thoughts you may have on my issues.

Thanks!

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would do a data wipe first. Getting another 3G phone wouldn't be my first choice.

SSX v2.1

dnvrmark

Reaction score
same problems

I am having the same problems. they started with Gingerbread and the Gingerbread fix. screen freeze, major lagging, turn off by itself, reboot,
blank screen. how do you do a wipe? will i lose any info?

OP
artmanphoto

artmanphoto

Reaction score
The Verizon system update to version 4.5.602 appears to have fixed the problem where my phone turns itself back ON after I turned it OFF. I have also uninstalled Watchdog Lite and Lookout. I also cleared the cache in stock recovery (see below) - got this suggestion from the Droid-X Forum. After doing these things my phone is running good again with no issues. Clearing the cache in stock recovery is not the same as a Factory Reset.

This is a quote from the Droid-X Forums:

"Try clearing cache in stock recovery and see if that helps. [ with device in power off state press hard home key then power button. Release power button when you see red M, then release home key. When you see screen with android guy press both volume buttons at the same time. You will get options. Use volume buttons to scroll to format cache option. Select with power key. Clear or format cache. Afterward select reboot phone]

Clearing app cache (different than stock recovery; you can get an app for this or do it individually within settings and manage applications) and rebooting should be done regularly especially if phone starts getting sluggish."

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Nursecindi

Reaction score
I've had the exact same issues with my phone all of a sudden it just goes crazy. Will what you suggested wipe my phone, I don't want to lose everything, also I'm not very tech savy is the phone actually turned off when the process you described is initiated. Thanks

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Nursecindi

Reaction score
Ok blonde moment, it says, device in power off state.

OP
artmanphoto

artmanphoto

Reaction score
I've had the exact same issues with my phone all of a sudden it just goes crazy. Will what you suggested wipe my phone, I don't want to lose everything, also I'm not very tech savy is the phone actually turned off when the process you described is initiated. Thanks

Clearing the cache in stock recovery will not remove any of the apps or data from the phone. The procedure just clears the cache area in the phone. Power the phone OFF with the power button then do the procedure.