Experiencing a plethora of Droid X issues, please help!

Reaction score
About a week ago I made the decision to go from the Motorola Droid 2 to the X. Since then, it's been all downhill, and I fail to understand the reasoning behind it.

The first day I got my X I noticed that when it was booted, things kept disappearing from the screens. The basic arrangement that all new Droids have with apps and widgets were on the screens when I booted, but after going into the market place to download my new apps and closing out, I noticed everything had disappeared. Not that I am complaining, I don't use that stuff anyway, but it has happened a few times since with my normal app arrangements. I have factory restored, but it continues to happen on occasion.

Not such a big deal, however the next two issues are getting a little taxing.

The phone freezes constantly, and I am not talking a couple of seconds or minutes, I am talking fully frozen to the point of necessary battery pulling to make it operational again. On top of it's freezing it constantly crashes core applications like "G-mail" when in the middle of using them for downloads, or simply reading messages. I don't understand what could be causing it, I have installed no new apps that haven't been on prior phones, so I am fairly certain it's not a bad app. (And if it was, the factory restore should have fixed it, right?)

And lastly the phone absolutely refuses to read my SD card at random intervals. Twice it has said the card has nothing on it, when it in fact has. It has been wiped and formatted, and it continues to have the same problem.

I seem to have the touch of death with every smart phone I get (hence why I've been through the Eris, the Motorola Droid 1&2, and now the X all within the last year and a half) but I never really had the chance to get to this phone since it was doing it from the second I booted it up. Is there a way to fix these issues, or should I just take it back to the store and claim programing fault? Really getting sick of faulted phones, and have probably visited Verizon at least 20 times within the last year and a half alone. (No joke. 9 Storms, 1 Tour, 2 Eris', 2 Motorola Droids, and 2 Motorola Droid 2's, two of which visits were actually by fault of my own and not the device itself.) So... I have reluctance on taking my device back to the store if it can be helped... don't want a refurb.

edwards2243

Reaction score
Have you been having trouble with every phone you've had over the past 1.5 yrs? Do you have a home launcher other than stock? If this started happening after you first booted(new) then it may be a phone error...otherwise, it could very well be a "user" error.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
catastrophicbliss
Reaction score
Haven't had the problem with every phone, the Motorola Droid 1&2 worked perfect for me. Those were the two messed up by my own fault (water damage from a wreck I was in, and I just dropped one of them out of my pocket and it went slow and buggish after that, so those were by fault of my own. I get bored and swap phones constantly, so instead of paying the insurance claim I just used an upgrade and bought new phones). Now the Eris and the Storm, those were full on tech errors, even Verizon agreed. I think with the X it might be part user error in some cases because it's new to me, but with how slow it runs and the constant crashes I am unsure. I don't think I could be doing anything wrong simply by turning on the phone and attempting to open an e-mail, but I've been wrong before with this stuff. :)

Sorry, missed a bit there! I have the basic home launcher that comes with a phone.

WeedR

Reaction score
I would take it back to verizon and test a new one before you leave.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
catastrophicbliss
Reaction score
I did another factory reset on the device, and went the slow route of adding a couple of apps at a time to test the speed and how the apps effected the phone's functionality. Everything seems to have eased up a bit since the latest factory restore, but for some reason the keyboard is still really buggy. Freezes and have to battery pull, so... I am pretty much stumped and will probably do as suggested by taking it to the store.

en28so

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your problems. My X has been working perfectly since I got it in December. Do you guys know what firmware you are on? I know mine didn't come with the latest version, so I took the OTA update to 2.2.340. If you're not on it, maybe you should try upgrading it first to see if that helps. Also, the stock launcher is very slow. Adw launcher makes the phone feel much more responsive.

Droid X rooted with z4root and running DarkSlide V4.2 underclocked ( to save battery)

OP
catastrophicbliss
Reaction score
I doubled checked just to be sure, and it appears to be running the proper OS. It has calmed down a lot since I originally made this post, but there are a few new problems with the device as well, such as the light on the front randomly deciding it doesn't want to work. I have to battery pull the phone constantly because it continuously decides that random things need to stop working. It's nothing I can't deal with though, I've always had that problem with every smart phone. ^^;

wxwax

Reaction score
I'm with WeedR.

I'd take it back and get a new one.

My original Droid died a month after the warranty expired. If you're having this much trouble with a new phone, what's it going to be like when it's close to its warranty expiration?

I wouldn't risk it. Demand a new one.

OP
catastrophicbliss
Reaction score
Sorry it took so long to respond to this, I've been away from the internet and my Droid for awhile. But, in the end I ended up with my boyfriend's old X, and spared random shut downs for no reason it seems to be working much better than the Droid X I purchased. I ended up selling mine to a friend of a friend who roots Droid X's and sells them, and I guess it all worked out in the end. That device was honestly in a mindset of it's own...