droid x email question

lackey

Reaction score
Hello to all. I am new to the Droid X and just had a question on email. Is there an option to leave a coppy of the email on my email server? At present it goes and grabs my email and deletes from server. would really like to be able to leave a copy there.

Thanks for any help.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I use k9 from the market. It leaves my mail on the server. You can set it to delete from the server when you delete from your phone.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hello to all. I am new to the Droid X and just had a question on email. Is there an option to leave a coppy of the email on my email server? At present it goes and grabs my email and deletes from server. would really like to be able to leave a copy there.

Thanks for any help.

You can do this without an app. Just go to your gmail settings on line and set it up to leave a copy on the server.

OP
L

lackey

Reaction score
thanks

thanks alot. that was helpful. what if you are using different email than gmail. say aol mail or a corporate mail address.

grimshawsg1960

Reaction score

Thanks for any help.

When you set up the mail account specify IMAP instead of POP. I think it is at the top of the first screen when you set up a new account.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ruminations on email on my Droid

A) one way to check email on your phone is to check your gmail account with the gmail app. you may be able to forward 3rd party accounts like AOL to gmail or have gmail check the 3rd party account. Go to gmail.com to have gmail check mail

B) another way is to use K9 which is free from the market to check 3rd party accounts. K9 can also check gmail. In fact, you can use K9 and the gmail app at the same time.

C) exchange? uhh...wait for android 2.2 or use touchdown from market...maybe some other apps out there?

JackiA

Reaction score
emails won't delete from Droid X

I am using the gmail app on my Droid X. I have discovered that though I can move messages to the Trash, they won't delete from the trash through the phone. I can delete the message and initially the trash shows empty, but when you go back in, the messages have reappeared. The only way to really delete the message is to sign into gmail using the phone's browser or my computer and delete them that way.

Here is my question. My gmail is set up as a POP3. If I change it be be an IMAP, will that correct the problem? And...if I go in through my computer and change the setting to an IMAP, will that screw up the current syncing with my phone forcing me to start over setting up the phone's email account?

Any help would be appreciated. I have researched this all over and can't find an answer.

P.S. If I give up and use K-9, will it actually allow me to delete emails from my phone so that even if someone picks up the phone and happens to go into the gmail app there won't be anything left in the Trash?

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
You should use IMAP. I don't know what kind of set up you'd have to do with the gmail app after the change.

K9 can use IMAP to access gmail so, yes, if you lose your phone you can still change what's on it from the gmail web site...but if the person who has your phone puts it in airplane mode after booting it up, the messages won't have a chance to sync so they could probably still see your messages. You should really just use a lock screen if you are worried about losing your phone.

JackiA

Reaction score
I finally discovered why I can't permanently delete the emails via the phone using the gmail app. If you go into the settings on the gmail app and choose Labels - Select which labels are synchronized, Trash is not there as an option. Every other Label is there to sync, but not Trash. This really, really doesn't make sense.

It really makes no sense that Trash cannot be sync'd with the phone. Is that a flaw in the gmail app or the Droid X design? Who do I direct my request that this to be updated in the future?

JackiA

Reaction score
aminaked, thank you for pointing me in that direction. I posted the issue.