Not deleting POP3 email from server

skerm8

Reaction score
If the answer is here, I can't find it.

I have three POP3 email accounts from SbcGlobal/Yahoo/Att (or whatever they are calling themselves). When I delete an email from the phone, it should delete from the server, so that way when I open up Outlook on my home computer, all the emails I deleted from the phone dont all show up again. It worked perfectly on my Incredible, but I can not find a "delete from the server" option on my X. Please help. This option is important to me.

Question #2 (Sort of related)
Can I get the text folder and email accounts out of the Messaging Icon. I would like to see them all separate on my home page with the message indicator that pops up on them.

Thanks for the help

Technoman

Reaction score
If the answer is here, I can't find it.

I have three POP3 email accounts from SbcGlobal/Yahoo/Att (or whatever they are calling themselves). When I delete an email from the phone, it should delete from the server, so that way when I open up Outlook on my home computer, all the emails I deleted from the phone dont all show up again. It worked perfectly on my Incredible, but I can not find a "delete from the server" option on my X. Please help. This option is important to me.

I too have not liked this obvious omission that they have in Blur. My original Moto Droid 1 had an option to delete mail from server. I have not found that option on the X and it is quite irritable. I had hoped this would be corrected in 2.2, but no option now either.

Question #2 (Sort of related)
Can I get the text folder and email accounts out of the Messaging Icon. I would like to see them all separate on my home page with the message indicator that pops up on them.

Thanks for the help

They are both already available individually in your APP tray. The email says "email", and the one for text says "text messaging". Both are available if you long press on your home screen, select "shortcut", and scroll to find each one separate. There is one issue to note.... only your PRIMARY email account will display in the email APP shortcut.

OP
S

skerm8

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. The Droid X email handling is very disappointing. I'm thinking I made a mistake giving up my Incredible to my daughter.

I'm aware of the text and email icons you suggested in the app tray, only problem is the text icon will not show the message indicator on it like it does in the Messaging box for some reason, and like you say, there is only one email icon available. Again, very disappointing. The Incredible mail handling was as good or better than my Blackberry.

I have downloaded K9 mail, which so far is working well. Much better than stock. I can't get my Exchange account set up yet, but it is probably just a configuration error on my part. I'll keep working with it.

For texting, I am trying the messaging widget to see if that will do what I am looking for.

I'll still take any suggestions anyone has. Thanks

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Have you looked at using gmail for handling your Pop3 accounts? You can have it either leave the message on the server or take it off.

Go on line to gmail (probably better to use a computer) and take a look at the settings.

Remember, this is a Google phone. If you can work with gmail that may be your best bet.

OP
S

skerm8

Reaction score
Have you looked at using gmail for handling your Pop3 accounts? You can have it either leave the message on the server or take it off.

Go on line to gmail (probably better to use a computer) and take a look at the settings.

Remember, this is a Google phone. If you can work with gmail that may be your best bet.

No, I have not thought of that. I will check that out and see if it does what I want. Thanks

Technoman

Reaction score

Hook, I haven't found anything showing that you can delete from server on gmail. Perhaps there is no setting required on the phone, but I don't think mine is deleting on the server side when I delete on my X.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hook, I haven't found anything showing that you can delete from server on gmail. Perhaps there is no setting required on the phone, but I don't think mine is deleting on the server side when I delete on my X.

POP Download:
Learn more
1. Status: POP is enabled for all mail that has arrived since 2/9/08
Enable POP for all mail (even mail that's already been downloaded)
Enable POP for mail that arrives from now on
Disable POP

2. When messages are accessed with POP

3. Configure your email client (e.g. Outlook, Eudora, Netscape Mail)
Configuration instructions

On number 2 there is a dropbox. It says keep copy in gmails box and gives a few other selections. That's what I was thinking about, I thought it was for the server.

OP
S

skerm8

Reaction score
I think I may have fixed my problem. K9 mail wasn't working for me, so I kept looking for different answers. I had initially set up all my pop email accounts using the "email" red postage stamp icon. I deleted all those, and set them up through the Yahoo icon. the set up was easier and quicker, and the mail does exactly what I want it to do.

For texting, I just went back to Handcent and all it good.

srnewby

Reaction score
Skerm -

How did you set up your other accounts as yahoo accounts? When I tried to do that with my verizon.net email I got an error.

OP
S

skerm8

Reaction score
Skerm -

How did you set up your other accounts as yahoo accounts? When I tried to do that with my verizon.net email I got an error.

Setup was a breeze. All it took was a username and password. But that was a Yahoo account using the Yahoo account setup, so it probably wouldn't work with Verizon mail i'm guessing.