Droid X camera is disapointing (pictures inside)

Pluto77189

Reaction score
This is a good macro shot. A bit grainy, but it was in low light, with the flash. Keep in mind, this little sucker's head is the size of a pea...

The close up was zoomed in with macro. The other was zoomed in less so, if at all (I can't remember, I was in a hurry to snag pics of my hatching chameleons before I left for work). If I had good lighting, I think the pics would have been a lot better. When I've had good lighting, these pics are awesome. Poor lighting, the pics suck.

QQP

Reaction score
Photos taken today, evening. Have resized it down, no postprocessing.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

trebb

Reaction score
These shots all look so good... as well as the ones on AndroidForums. My shots have been coming out pretty decent too on the stock settings. Weird that all the reviews said the camera was awful.

lithoman

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Turbo
Does the x have a front facing camera? My son just got the IPHONE4 and i am amazed at the quality of the camera. The pics are as good as my cannon 8mp camera......maybe better. I was hoping the x could compete since my boy and me are very competitive. How is the focus on the x ...is it easier then the droid?
i know that this is a phone 1st but....the iphone4 proved you can have both.
Is the x worth me giving up the droid that is rooted and running great ...sigh....what to do

JLB09

Reaction score
These shots all look so good... as well as the ones on AndroidForums. My shots have been coming out pretty decent too on the stock settings. Weird that all the reviews said the camera was awful.

I am puzzled by the poor reviews as from what I have seen the camera has been a solid winner.

smokecombs

Reaction score
Does the x have a front facing camera? My son just got the IPHONE4 and i am amazed at the quality of the camera. The pics are as good as my cannon 8mp camera......maybe better. I was hoping the x could compete since my boy and me are very competitive. How is the focus on the x ...is it easier then the droid?
i know that this is a phone 1st but....the iphone4 proved you can have both.
Is the x worth me giving up the droid that is rooted and running great ...sigh....what to do
No front facing camera. But there must be some trick if that Iphone is taking better pics than a darn Cannon 8mp camera because that's not possible. I mean unless you like the oversaturation thing that the Iphone is doing. The Iphone4 does take better pics and slightly better video over the Droid X from what I've seen, but it's not by a lot. Plus the oversaturation thing can really distort the reality of a moment or a shot. I say the Iphone4 takes better pics, which to most is true and maybe technically has some advantages, but as to what I prefer, I prefer the realism of the colors from my Droid X. My wife said it showed her cellulite a little too much in detail, LOL! But yeah, I like the Droid X camera, it isn't as good as my point and shoot 8mp, but funny thing is, it is almost as good as my wife's 12mp point and shoot. That shows you that megapixels don't necassarily tell all. However, with your Cannon, that is one of the best brands of camera and best lenses on the market, no way does an Iphone4 come close to that. The point and shoot cameras I have are not even close to a point and shoot Cannon. I have heard, I think it's Cannon, that has a phone that takes unbelievable pics for a camera phone. Crap, I almost got one of those MIcrosoft Kin2 phones, but I'm so much more satisfied with my Droid X. The Iphone4's front facing camera is pretty friggen awesome though, but not a deal breaker for me to go to crappy AT&T service. I couldn't go back to a small screen after this Droid X anyway. Hopefully one day a Droid X 2 will come out with a front facing camera, a big huge camera lens on the back with faster shutter speed, might as well wish for it all.

lithoman

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Turbo
I hope these post.....Here are some quick pics taken from my son's iphone4. I dont see the oversaturation on these. I should post some from my cannon ....to compare. I guess i wait for the droid pro.

smokecombs

Reaction score
Lol, those Canon pics are nice, especially the first two, the worm really looks awesome. The Iphone4 pics do look great, they look comparable to a nice point and shoot camera. The bird is especially detailed and nice. I think the flowers look maybe a little oversaturated, or there isn't exactly a lot of depth to the outlines of some of the flower pedals, I can strain and see them, but it is slightly blurred together with the other flower pedals. Still, it was probably high sunlight and that might happen with any camera. I need to take some pics with my DroidX of some stuff in bright sunlight, especially bright vivid colors like those flowers. I do think the DX does a good job of showing the pic the way I actually see it live. It does struggle indoors during normal light, even daytime light if you don't have a well lit room. I think it does pretty great in pitch dark if the subject is close up. But there are a lot of DroidX pics already on here, and several other threads, most of them look really high end, for a phone that is. I would say the Droid X is like a lower end point and shoot camera, like a $80 to $100 range stand alone camera. The Iphone4 looks more like a $100+ camera. The megapixel thing doesn't do anything though, unless we develop a lot of wall photos as I call them, framed photos to go on the wall. I think these phones are perfectly capable of very passable 4X6 prints, or photo album quality as I call them.

darreno1

Reaction score
The Droid X takes impressive Macro mode pics:

Post pictures you have taken with your Droid X - Page 11 - Android Forums

Post pictures you have taken with your Droid X - Page 12 - Android Forums

I'd say the colors are definitely superior to the iPhone 4 as well as a the quality of the pics. The iPhone 4, however, maybe be more consistent esp. in low light, but better? No way I don't see it. The Droid's color reproduction is the most realistic I've seen of any camera phone. And the panoramic feature is very impressive. And BTW, the colors in the iPhone pics above ARE a little oversaturated.

Last edited:

smokecombs

Reaction score
Last edited:

GOON

Reaction score
can you please link us to larger res. pics of your wife?