Droid X camera is disapointing (pictures inside)

grimbergen

Reaction score
Question for all you who posted the great shots: were all these taken with manual settings? My pix are terrible.

And I don't mean that I'm trying to take award winning photos or to print and frame them, but I'm just trying to get pix of stuff with text or things I find at the store that I want to be able to reference.

Everything comes out blurry or the color is way off. I don't want have to spend minutes calibrating the settings to take a quick pick of a nutrition label on a food package. I don't have this problem when i use my wife's iphone to take the same pix in the exact same position.

Nickdroid86

Reaction score
Your lighting sucked, I say user error. Check around the forums at some of the really good ones taken

Wnclivin

Reaction score
Comparing the DroidX photos to those of my last device (HTC HD2), it's more difficult to consistently take good photos with the DX. My HD2 was 5mp with approximately the same lens/sensor size, but it took photos faster and with sharper focus.

I guess with the DX like some have said you have to become a more advanced user and set things manually. With the HD2 I could pull it out of my pocket and snap a perfectly focused picture in about half the time it takes to get one with the DX.

awriternot

Reaction score
Yeah I was uber disappointed with the camera. My blackberry curve took better pics! The thing that drives me insane is that crazy bright flash and the long shutter delay. Yes, I do take "real" pics with my Canon 7D but I wanted a phone that had a pretty good camera. Bleck.

Reaction score
I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing this disappointment... I'd I'm taking a picture of any sort od object I feel that the edges look pretty sharp for a phone (still wiese them I expected) but my issue is hoe washed out colors always look. Wish there was a way to saturate the colors a bit through the interface. Would anyone happen to know of an app that does this?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

darreno1

Reaction score
These are pictures I took today, one with the Droid and one with my BB 9650. I love the Droid X, but the pic quality....am I doing something wrong? All settings are set to Auto and 0. Suggestions?

Why are both your pictures stripped of the image data? E.g camera type, exposure info, etc? I can't tell what setting you used and that Droid X pic looked like you had the exposure turned way up. Also none of my low light flash pics looked like that.

darreno1

Reaction score
Dude... Its a phone, not a camera. Those are superb pics from a phone. Go buy a little camera.

Why? For everyday shots these are great. For everything else I have a Nikon dlsr. The little camera days are numbered.

Reaction score

darreno1

Reaction score
:blackdroid:
Rather than blame the camera, learn how to use it first.

These folks obviously know how to:

Post pictures you have taken with your Droid X - Android Forums

Thanks for the pretty pictures, I guess? That thread offered no help for helping users take better quality pictures.

Those look nice and sharp, but I'm having a problem with color saturation. I don't see how looking at those pictures are going to help me lol.

Well for starters, why don't you post a few pics? Color saturation isn't one of the X's problems from what I've seen. Also a picture tells a thousand words to the trained eye.

melonline

Reaction score
I am stunned at the comments on the original post. I do a significant amount of photography and was very pleased with the quality of photos this phone takes. Even in low light it was able to take a shot that was better than the object looked in actuality. The only time it took a poor photo was in very bright light. The video, again on a phone, was remarkable. I was in a restaurant, not noted for their lighting and the video was very good. It's a phone, not a $1,000.00 camera.

GThree

Reaction score
I am stunned at the comments on the original post. I do a significant amount of photography and was very pleased with the quality of photos this phone takes. Even in low light it was able to take a shot that was better than the object looked in actuality. The only time it took a poor photo was in very bright light. The video, again on a phone, was remarkable. I was in a restaurant, not noted for their lighting and the video was very good. It's a phone, not a $1,000.00 camera.

Agreed.

Plus if you are on the new system update, it' is a lot better IMO.

Double check you're running the correct system on the X.... Some people are not receiving the update, but if you go to your about phone settings and check for the update, it's there. MAKE SURE.

The camera owns for a "PHONE"

darreno1

Reaction score
Took a couple shots today:

2010-07-27_18-16-58_8.jpg

2010-07-27_18-25-16_329.jpg

2010-07-27_18-25-25_913.jpg

dendk

Reaction score
Here are a couple of photos from outdoors last weekend.

2010-07-24_15-10-28_187.jpg
droidx035.jpg