Droid X Bootloop After GB Update

davebro

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I tried doing a manual install of Gingerbread this morning, as the Verizon update was stopping a quarter of the way, rebooting, then saying the update was not successful. I now have the red Motorola logo popping up on the screen for a few seconds, then going to a black screen, then trying to boot again with the red Motorola logo for a few seconds, and repeating. I'll go through the steps I took so somebody might be able have an answer. Basically, I need to get into recovery mode to restart the process. Unfortunately, there is no key combination that seems to work with GB.

Before starting the process, I cleared everything on the phone by doing a hard factory reset. My Droid X had the official 2.3.340 Froyo Firmware installed.

I then installed the Droid 2 Bootstrap for $2.99 from the Market.

I then installed z4root onto the SD card and installed onto the phone.

I put 2 zip files onto the SD card called:

Blur_Version.2.3.340.MB810.Verizon.en.US-Part1
Blur_Version.2.3.340.MB810.Verizon.en.US-Part2

I then did a Permanent Root from z4root successfully.
I checked an app to make sure that Busybox was installed and that I had root access: both were successful.

I went and clicked on "Bootstrap Recovery" and was successful.

I then clicked on "Reboot Recovery" -- the phone powered down and restarted into the Green Recovery Menu.

I went into the SD card and installed the zip file called Part 1.
I got an message saying "Status 7 error" and for some reason didn't think anything of it.

Then I installed Part 2 of the zip file. A message saying successful popped up.

I went back to the green menu and rebooted.

Now I have the red Motorola (Gingerbread) logo popping up but nothing else. It keeps looping back. I can't get to any menus and can't get into any recovery modes. I'm pretty sure it had something to do with Part 1 not installing properly. At this point I would just like to get into some sort of Recovery Mode to restart the process. Any help would be much appreciated. Let me know if I can clarify anything. Thanks.

jonathon1289

Reaction score
What you did sounds right, those are the steps I followed. I am not sure what the error message you got was about, but I would assume that is the problem. You should be able to SBF and try again. Follow these links for help:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-rooted-help/100038-complete-droid-x-sbf-flashing-guide.html

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...mpletely-bricked-droid-x-step-step-guide.html

If you have any further questions about this just ask (although I have only done a SBF twice, it went very smoothly)