Droid Won't Return from Locked State (Screen Stays Blank)

badger98

Reaction score
Apologies if this issue has been addressed in other threads, but I wasn't able to find another problem description that matched what I've seen recently.

The following issue has occurred three times in the last week when the phone was in a locked state with the screen timed-out. Pressing the lock/power button did not turn the screen on. Long-press of the lock/power button did not turn the phone on or off. Only removing the battery and reinserting it allowed the phone to be turned on again. Once it came back on, the battery was still in good condition, so battery drain was not the culprit.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I'm wondering if this is a hardware or software issue. I'd really rather not hard-reset the phone, so before I go down that path, I wanted to get input from the experts.

Thanks!

mikenilson

Reaction score
I had this problem and it was suggested that Weather Bug was the culprit. I uninstalled it and have not had the problem since.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I had this problem and it was suggested that Weather Bug was the culprit. I uninstalled it and have not had the problem since.

I would also check out Advance Task Killer as a possible problem, but I've seen Weather Bug cause issues with PC, Blackberry, and Droid.

OP
B

badger98

Reaction score
Interesting... I don't have Weather Bug installed, though.

nerdbox08

Reaction score
I had this occur to my phone on a bad rom install. I am going to a assume from your factory reset comment, you haven't done a custom install.

Apps, as mentioned, can be problematic at times. They might have just one bad strung of commands and that's enough to make your phone act silly. Go back and remove one at a time and see if the problem stops.

OP
B

badger98

Reaction score
Verizon actually recommended when I bought the phone that I put Advanced Task Killer on the phone. Is this not considered a must-have app anymore?

nerdbox08

Reaction score
Not that the verizon reps are stupid, but they aren't nearly as informed as they could be.

Android doesn't need a task killer because of the way it operates. If you have an app giving you an actual problem you can force close it via the applications settings in the main system settings.