Droid Visual Lag!!

tha]-[acksaw

Reaction score
So I did an iPhone swap with a buddie a few days ago, just to mess around with another device for a few minutes. I was kinda amazed at how much the Droid lags compared to the iPhone.

Everything from flipping through home screens to opening apps. I'm not gonna say the iPhone is faster. Its just more smooth. There was never a moment when the iPhone would visually lag. Maybe something would take a bit longer to load, but the visual operation was flawless.

On the Droid, sometime I can flip through home screens without any lag. Sometimes it lags a little. Sometimes when I open up an app, the phone will go into an unresponsive state for a few seconds until the app loads. In general, I would hardly say any of the lag is really bad, or even hard to deal with. The phone is pretty quick. It just comes across as being slower or operating slower because the visual doesn't keep up.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to make the phone run a bit more smooth?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So I did an iPhone swap with a buddie a few days ago, just to mess around with another device for a few minutes. I was kinda amazed at how much the Droid lags compared to the iPhone.

Everything from flipping through home screens to opening apps. I'm not gonna say the iPhone is faster. Its just more smooth. There was never a moment when the iPhone would visually lag. Maybe something would take a bit longer to load, but the visual operation was flawless.

On the Droid, sometime I can flip through home screens without any lag. Sometimes it lags a little. Sometimes when I open up an app, the phone will go into an unresponsive state for a few seconds until the app loads. In general, I would hardly say any of the lag is really bad, or even hard to deal with. The phone is pretty quick. It just comes across as being slower or operating slower because the visual doesn't keep up.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to make the phone run a bit more smooth?

Did you see how well the iPhone did when connecting to the internet vs. the Droid? Or did you try to make a phone call from the iPhone to see if service was available?

The Droid is not an iPhone. I think everyone acknowledges that the iPhone has a smoother interface but when it comes to who has the best network iPhone can't hold up against Droid and Big Red. And without a network, well, your phone can be pretty much useless.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Every time my Droid seems slower than my daughters iPhone, it has turned out to be a rogue app. Swype did it, Newsreader did it, Home++ did it, etc. I removed/disabled them and speed returns. YMMV

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
O.P. - I agree BayouFlyFisher - I have a sneaky suspicion some program is causing this lag for you, especially if you are running an alternate HOME application. Remove that rogue app that you might have installed and will run circles around the iDont phone.

crspang

Reaction score
I think swype has been causing issues with performance on my phone. I plan on trying a few tests today to see for sure.

BlueBus

Reaction score
I have been frustrated by this for a while but I just uninstalled panda home and it made a dramatic improvement. Scrolling is almost perfect now. Still a little lag on graphically intense pages but much better overall. I suspect another app is dragging it down bit Ian not sure which one. Kinda makes me question the app killer argument. When I first got my Droid scrolling was perfectly smooth. As I added apps I started noticing lag/scrolling issues. I am thinking about uninstalling everything and starting from scratch and reinstalling till the culprit returns.

OP
tha]-[acksaw

tha]-[acksaw

Reaction score
Did you see how well the iPhone did when connecting to the internet vs. the Droid? Or did you try to make a phone call from the iPhone to see if service was available?

The Droid is not an iPhone. I think everyone acknowledges that the iPhone has a smoother interface but when it comes to who has the best network iPhone can't hold up against Droid and Big Red. And without a network, well, your phone can be pretty much useless.

Yep and Yep! The Droid opens apps faster, searches the net faster, downloads data faster. It's not even a comparison. The Droid can actually make calls, and keep them. The Droid has the iPhone knocked just about across the board.

Yes, I do realize that the Droid is not a iPhone. I'm simply looking for solutions to help the minor problem I'm having. I'm not here to Droid bash. I paid good money for the Droid, cause I don't want an iPhone. And I LOVE my Droid!!

OP
tha]-[acksaw

tha]-[acksaw

Reaction score
Every time my Droid seems slower than my daughters iPhone, it has turned out to be a rogue app. Swype did it, Newsreader did it, Home++ did it, etc. I removed/disabled them and speed returns. YMMV

This is kinda where I'm at. I run the full version of Advanced Taskiller. If I close all tasks, the phone instantly runs like a champ, with no visual lag what so ever. I've done just about everything I can to get rid of apps that end up on the Taskiller list even when I don't run the app. Now, when I open up the Taskiller list, the ones that always show up are Alarm Clock, Setting, Messaging, maybe a Time Left battery widget, but thats a bout it.The list is pretty minor.

The other thing that I noticed, to the contrary of another post in this thread. I just started running Home++ a few days ago. It seems to me that the visual lag is less when I run Home++. It actually seems to run smoother than the stock OS, which seems kinda funny, cause most people seems to complain about Home++ slowing their phone down.

Should I do a factory reset, maybe start loading the apps back one by one, over the next few days, and try to see which app is bogging my system down? Will a system reset help me out at all?

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Your Droid is multitasking, running multiple apps at one time. Since the iPhone can only have one app open at a time, it should feel smoother. They both run the same processor, so this would make sense. Personally, I don't notice any lag, so I would assume there is a third party app that is causing the lag you are experiencing.