Droid upgrade

dsealer

Reaction score
I'm looking to get a new phone. I have the Eris, for about two years now. It got "watered" last week with the plants and flowers. Everything seems to work okay except the on/off button. I push it but most times it doesn't do anything. So now I'm looking for a new phone.
I have always bought through Verizon and used their two yr. plan. I've been with Verizon for decades and have never really thought of going anywhere else.
I've also been thinking about the IPhone. I'd like to hear from you folks on this idea and why I should stay with a Droid?? Pros and cons, Droid vs IPhone and Droid vs Droid.
Also any suggestions for the on/off button?
Thanks,
Don.........

Art Vandelay

Reaction score
There's a lot of good Droid phones out right now which will be a huge upgrade over ur Eris.

But here's the thing, the iPhone is a great phone for what it is. Most iphone users are very happyo and that's BC apple made the iPhone run very smooth. The biggest thing iPhone lacks is flash, so if you use it for a lot of flash sites don't get the iPhone.

Personally, I feel the Droid is superior to iPhone because of the customization droids can achieve lacks to the dev community. Thus why I'd never stray from Droid.

Basically you really have to try the iPhone out and compare it to the new droids like the charge, dx2, thunderbolt, incredible 2.

Sent from OG Droid sporting SS5.4 w/HoneyGingerComb and Chevy's lv1.0ghz kernal

OP
D

dsealer

Reaction score
Thanks for your quick response. Here's the kicker. I don't use my phone for much more than phone calls and email. I rarely get on the net with it. I do have apps with my phone and use them, probably more than I do the internet. I also hook up some headphones and listen to music.
So I guess I'm not like most people in as I only do a few things with my phone. I use it for work and I need to have good reception. I also receive email on it and I need to have a phone that can do that well also. I've become very accustomed to my eris and how it works. I'm not opposed to another droid phone but there are so many I can't seem to zero in on something that would server my purposes. That's why I was looking at the iphone. I hear a lot about it and many people at work have it. It seems to work well within my work enviorment so I thought this would be a good phone for me. I believe there are only two choices when it comes to the iphone, 16 meg or 32 meg, not counting color.
I've used this site because I've found a place where it seems people know about the droid phones. I'm hoping to get some suggestions on another droid purchase but as I've said, there are some many variations I just can't focus in on one.
Thanks again for you quick reply,
Don...........

Mamba94

Reaction score
First off I am bias towards android. I love being able to customize the interface of my phone how I like. However my suggestion to you would be if you really are considering getting an iphone, I would wait to get the iphone 5. Don't buy old technology especially if the iphone 5 is due in a few months. Just my opinion good luck!

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Art Vandelay

Reaction score
I feel as though any of the new droids will suit ur needs. The charge and thunderbolt are LTE (4g) phones which if you live where lte service is, makes a huge difference in network speed (this may not be relevant to you as you saw you don't go on the net much and I assume you aren't downloading with it). IPhone isn't LTE

With the droids you have much more variety. You can get one with a physical KB, different screen sizes, and the list goes on. Like I said before any of the new droids will suit your needs and I'm sure you will be happy with them.

I really recommend you go to Verizon and try them out. Most of the users on this site want the phone with the best specs and thus why it'd be hard for us to recommend a phone to you. I will say I played with the Droid charge (lte phone) and if I was in need of an upgrade it buy that phone. Also I hear good things about the Droid incredible (non lte phone).

tonydelite

Reaction score
Thanks for your quick response. Here's the kicker. I don't use my phone for much more than phone calls and email. I rarely get on the net with it. I do have apps with my phone and use them, probably more than I do the internet. I also hook up some headphones and listen to music.
So I guess I'm not like most people in as I only do a few things with my phone. I use it for work and I need to have good reception. I also receive email on it and I need to have a phone that can do that well also. I've become very accustomed to my eris and how it works. I'm not opposed to another droid phone but there are so many I can't seem to zero in on something that would server my purposes. That's why I was looking at the iphone. I hear a lot about it and many people at work have it. It seems to work well within my work enviorment so I thought this would be a good phone for me. I believe there are only two choices when it comes to the iphone, 16 meg or 32 meg, not counting color.
I've used this site because I've found a place where it seems people know about the droid phones. I'm hoping to get some suggestions on another droid purchase but as I've said, there are some many variations I just can't focus in on one.
Thanks again for you quick reply,
Don...........

Get an iPhone. Judging from your post here, I think you'll be happy with it.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
You should go to Verizon and play with the incredible2 and thunderbolt. I believe they would be the most similar to your eris, as all are htc and I believe all use the sense ui, which is what your are most familiar and comfortable with.

The incredible2 does not have 4g but seems to be more stable, longer battery life and much cheaper. If you don't use internet much then I don't think you will care about not having 4g. Also, the incredible2 is a wee bit smaller which you might also prefer. Other than those things, there is not much difference between those two phones.

These two phones will seem the most similar to your phone, only better. My guess, based on what you use your phone for, you will probably be happier with the incredible2 than the thunderbolt.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

Art Vandelay

Reaction score
Get an iPhone. Judging from your post here, I think you'll be happy with it.

Not necessarily, going from a Droid to an iPhone is not very easy. While the OS are similar (kinda), the iPhone seems non user friendly once being accustomed to the Droid for so long.

Again, if you like the Eris you will love one of the new droids, but try out the iPhone. Like the other person said, the iphone4 is kind of out dated and if you can wait I would, but from the rumors on the iPhone 5 I don't see a whole lot of hardware change (basically they are making the iPhone 5 with specs that current droids already have). The new software for the iPhone will also be more like androids with the notification bar and adding Widgets I believe.

madhulekha

Reaction score
The Motorola Droid was once this company's flagship model, though bigger and better smartphones have come along in recent months. This device sports a large, high-resolution capacitive Touchscreen and a landscape-oriented QWERTY keyboard. Nevertheless, it still has a slim design.As this smartphone runs the Android OS, it has a suite of applications that can wirelessly synchronize with Google's services, including Gmail, Calendar, Contacts, and Maps, as well as Microsoft Exchange. An extensive catalog of third-party apps is also available.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Indeed the droid 1 was a verizon's flagship phone and has become the companies most recognizable device. Support for it still seems to be greater than any other Android device on Verizon. As outdated as it may be, hardware wise it is far behind, but the developer support for it is as strong as ever.

and holy old thread bump madhulekha, lol. welcome to the board as well!:happy: