Droid screen problems...

Wolfy

Reaction score
Well, my 1st Droid only lasted from the middle of December until about 5 days ago when it developed touch screen problems.

I first noticed that my back button in the bottom left corner was working very intermittently or sometimes not at all. So, if I was in a browser, or a menu or even an app screen, I couldn't back out of it - I have to hit home and go all the way back there to get out of something.

Then, I noticed that when texting on the 'landscape' or horizontal on-screen keyboard, that anytime I pressed anything on the bottom row, I got the characters from the row above. So, I'd be hitting spacebar, but actually got a b or a c - even when using the tiniest tip of my pinky finger all the way at the edge.

Of course, the bottom row on that keyboard and the back button are both on the very left hand edge of the screen, so I thought maybe there's something wrong with the screen. However, on my home screen, I also have app icons in the same spots - and they work just fine to launch those apps - so that tells me the screen itself is fine.

I've done a battery pull, and a full factory reset and nothing has helped, so a replacement's on the way, but I just wanted to post this in case others run across this issue.

Also, if it means anything at all, the side I'm having trouble with just happens to also be the side that sits in the home dock - don't know if that has anything to do with it or not, or if any electronics in the dock might've affected the capacitive screen in any way or not.

Silver Member
Reaction score
did your phone get wet? if you pull the battery door off and look for a red sticker, does it have Xs or do you see all red?

if your phone has never gotten wet, take it in. it has a one year warranty.

OP
W

Wolfy

Reaction score
Hi, 640k - nope, never got wet - got all red Xs under battery door.

I got it from Verizon online (got an extra $100 off for doing it that way), so they're telling me I need to replace it from them - something about stores probably not having any replacements available. From what it sounds like, they're sending me JUST a new Droid - no box, cables, etc...I just activate the new which de-activates my old one, and put the old one into the shipping container they send with the new one, and drop it off to FedEx. Supposed to be here in 2 business days which will be tomorrow.

I just posted in case someone else starts having the same trouble.

dtrust

Reaction score
I just had mine replaced last week for the same thing. (screen problems).

Mine started acting up by having the screen jerk all over the place, make phone calls on it's own, start applications, all as if I was touching the screen. I had tried all you did, but eventually had to have it replaced. It was so bad that most of the time I couldn't even turn it off without pulling the battery.

The new one (refurb) is working great so far. Good news is, it's a piece of cake to get the new one up and running. All your paid apps will be waiting for you in the market. The only glitch I had was the automated activation didn't work and I had to call service. They got it working in a few minutes, though.

Oh yeah, don't forget to transfer your SD card to the new one.