Droid Saved Motorola From Splitting

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
motorola.jpg

If you do not remember way back in Motorola history (well earlier this year), they were beginning to auction off their Mobile devision. Now much later, with the Droids popularity... They do not have to anymore. Thanks to the Droid one, two and X, they have seen their true potential and are now reconsidering their mobile devision sale.

“If approved by stockholders, the reverse split is expected to be implemented on Motorola Solutions common stock in the first quarter 2011, immediately following Motorola’s previously announced separation into two, independent public companies,” reads the press release. “Motorola’s Board of Directors believes that implementing a reverse stock split on Motorola Solutions outstanding shares is likely to improve the marketability and liquidity of Motorola Solutions common stock.”

Now I will say that is a successful phone.
Via: BGR

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Annnnnnnnnnnd if they didn't lock their bootloaders........

Sanitarium09

Reaction score
The Droid brought Motorola back from the brink. Now if they can continue the trend instead of riding the Droid's coattails.

Jumper2501

Reaction score
I was in no hurry to jump on the Droid bandwagon early on just because Motorola made it, as badly as I wanted an Android OS phone. It took me awhile to get past previous bad experiences with Motorola phones.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
I was in no hurry to jump on the Droid bandwagon early on just because Motorola made it, as badly as I wanted an Android OS phone. It took me awhile to get past previous bad experiences with Motorola phones.

Likewise, and to be honest the only reason I still went with a Moto POS is because there was no real competitor on VZW at the time (the ONLY other phone was the Eris). That being said I will likely not get another Moto device again. I'll stick with either HTC or Samsung now that they are available.... Sorry Moto but 1 phone every 5+ years does NOT and WILL NOT save the company... Just as with the Startek and the Razr before Moto will 'drop the ball' and screw things up (e.g. locked bootloaders) for the next 5+ years... I prefer a company with a steady track record.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Edit:
And in all fairness it should be noted that it was far more Google/Androids doing (i.e. the OS) than Moto's own work... All they did was manage to beat the competitors to the market in time. They had little to do with the actual implementation and OS build which is the primary drive behind the Droid(s) success.

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
I would have to agree that Moto and Verizon's DROID line have "saved" Motorola. Over a decade ago their mobile devices were the ones to have. Remember the StarTAC? I had a V60i back in 2001 or so which was another popular phone at the time...the little chrome flip phone that you'd see everywhere. Then they came out with the RAZR which was about the last sucessful mobile device they had. They tried to live off that wave for too long and over thepast few years Motorola really went down the tubes.

When Android was announced, I couldn't wait for a Verizon device to get Android. And when VZ finally announced DROID last year I couldn't wait to get one. But I kept waiting...first for my contract to be up, then I kept seeing Verizon announcing better devices in the DROID line. My contract was up in July...and here I am now with an X.

Keep it up Moto!

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Edit:
And in all fairness it should be noted that it was far more Google/Androids doing (i.e. the OS) than Moto's own work... All they did was manage to beat the competitors to the market in time. They had little to do with the actual implementation and OS build which is the primary drive behind the Droid(s) success.
ahem....VZW's marketing campaign and Moto's tremendous hardware is what put Android on the map.

The Original Droid kicked off the Android craze. That fact can't be argued : )

It's also what made this site what it is today.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
ahem....VZW's marketing campaign and Moto's tremendous hardware is what put Android on the map.

The Original Droid kicked off the Android craze. That fact can't be argued : )

It's also what made this site what it is today.

VZW's marketing ABSOLUTELY!!
Moto's Tremendous hardware... hardly... the Droids hardware was not 'tremendous' even at the time of it's launch. There were several WM phones with equal or better hardware, and MANY phones that performed (i.e. response speeds ect.) that blew it out of the water (which is why so many of us choose to load custom kernels to OC it).

It was the OS that drove people to get it, even knowing that the hardware would QUICKLY be outdated (even at launch there were phones already announced with better hardware specs).

And yes, this site has grown greatly and we ALL benefit for it:icon_ banana:dancedroid

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Edit: (damit... hate not being able to edit in this section)

It was more that point that the Droid (and so yes, Moto) brought Android to a MAJOR CARRIER than anything that Moto really did... had HTC or anyone else done it first (again with a decent phone) it would have been very similar. The G1 for all it's greatness suffered from being on T-Mobile which limited Androids exposure to the vast majority of cell users.

Jumper2501

Reaction score
I would have to agree that Moto and Verizon's DROID line have "saved" Motorola. Over a decade ago their mobile devices were the ones to have. Remember the StarTAC?
Funny, the StarTac line is one I had problems with. I had a couple versions and, aside from being cool at the time, they were no good. A few years later, I tried another model and wasn't impressed.

At the time I broke down and went with a Droid, I'd talked to a lot of people about the OS and the phone. I knew I wanted Android, but I also wanted Verizon and a keyboard.

I've got to admit, I was hoping HTC would put out an Android phone with better specs and a physical keyboard.

Vitticeps

Reaction score
Moto's Tremendous hardware... hardly... the Droids hardware was not 'tremendous' even at the time of it's launch. There were several WM phones with equal or better hardware, and MANY phones that performed (i.e. response speeds ect.) that blew it out of the water (which is why so many of us choose to load custom kernels to OC it).

Care to name any of those WM phones with comparable hardware (i.e. capacitive touch, 700+mhz processor, dedicated gpu, slim form factor, etc.) that were available in November of 2009 on the big 4 US carriers?

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Uh yea, the OS and hardware combo is what made the Droid so popular. I mentioned this elsewhere. Many ppl consider WebOS the best mobile OS. But cuz its on subpar hardware right now its not as popular, or not on folks radar as much as Android.

And I would like to know some examples of hardware that blew the Droid outta the water too. Someone tried to mention the Omnia 1....the screen on the Omnia 1 killed that comparison quick. The Droid has better reception than the Omnia 1.

I went straight from the Omnia 1 to Android. so I dont have any other Win Mo phones I actuaily used to compare. But I am curious to know what Win Mo phones blew it outta the water hardware wise back in Nov 2009.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
That is an interesting point: what if the G1 was on Verizon? Would it have been as popular as the Droid?