Droid really $199 @ Verizon?

markwebb

Reaction score
You'd be crazy to not get the Droid Incredible. I love my Droid, but unfortunately, the Droid was pretty much the last phone to be released before all of these "super phones" as Google likes to call them. The Droid simply can't compete with the 1 GHz Snapdragon CPU and 512 MB of RAM, among other things. Get the Incredible.

To each their own. I think one should buy according to their needs and requirements.

I like the option of a physical keyboard, so the Droid is perfect for me.

AMOLED display in HTC is cool..but try viewing it in direct sunight! You may not be pleased.

8MP camera does not necessarily mean better: lens quality is the issue. My old LG Dare was 3.2 MB and the pictures were great as it had a better lens. I still use it for taking photos.

I got my Droid about 3 weeks ago. Am I annoyed there are newer phones? Absolutely not! There will always be something new or "better." I plan on keeping my Droid until my 'New Every 2' is up 18 months from now.

Moreover, I also got my Droid for $49.99 from Staples/VZW as part of my 'New Every 2' renewal (which they also honored a few months early -- probably wanted the sales for the end of Quarter 1). Can't complain!

Yes, go and try out the Incredible..but don't count the Droid out yet.:)

FLE

Reaction score
I got my droid at vetizon for$100. I paid $200 for with the new evey 2 but this store had a dead that you pay the $200 and with mail in rebate you ge a $100 visa card. I used the visa to buy the moto window mount/w rapid charger and a case. I can spend the visa on anything that visa was accepted at. The only deal was that you could not use the visa to obtain cash, I don't know why but I really did not care as I do not like and I do not carry cash on me not even $1.00 So I think I got a good deal on my droid. Funny thing after that promo was over the same store had a even more wild promo. Buy any smart phone and get another free. If I waited just 24hous I could of had two droids. As a friend of mine now wants one.

Kenny007

Reaction score
I almost got my Droid at one of the sites offering it for $20, etc. In the end I bought it from VZW for one reason which I finally figured out by reading the fineprint:
When you buy from a non-Verizon, you are tied into the 2-yr contract with the exact same plan. No moving from plan to plan within those 2 years.

I just got a Droid for myself and a Devour for my wife from Wirefly.com for a combined total of about $70 ($19.99 for Devour, $49.99 for the Droid) as soon as both phones hit upgrade eligible on the 8th. Sure beats paying the $250+$150 VZW wanted for two new phones when we checked on the 6th!

I was a bit timid doing this online, what with the jump to a set of data plans, signing a contract online, etc. Despite shopping for everything online, this seemed to be something to do in person. Still, I combed the fine print and said what the hell, and pressed confirm. I'm glad I did, as the service was top notch overall.

With this comes my concern with the quoted text above. As far as I saw, there was nothing stopping me from changing plans in an upward fashion that would cause me any grief with Wirefly. Of course, if I dropped my minutes or data coverage, they'd charge me out the wazoo, but nothing in the way of going upwards. Further still, they only kept an eye on my account for 181 days, so apparently I can do anything after that.

Unless I missed something big in the fine print...And of course different sites might have different stipulations. I had really wanted to go with Amazon to get the new phones, but they wouldn't deal with me unless I was 60 days out. Letstalk and wirefly will both deal with you at 120 days out...and I was getting antsy.

One standing concern I have with getting the phone online is how any insurance claim will go. I'm sure it's far easier, and will take less time, if I could insure it through VZW, but I don't think that option is available to me.